looking for a front switch flashlight..for the wife

pounder

Newly Enlightened
hey guys..i'm trying to find a flashlight for my wife..she does not like twisties or rear clicky switch lights..after showing her my itp sa1 she said she would love it if the front switch was the main switch that turned the light on and off..so here I am looking for this in an affordable <40$ light..it cannot be too long max 1 18650 battery, but it can take anything in between..16340's 14500's etc etc..runtime is not a factor but would needs to be over 120 lumens..zebralight has some offerings., but are there any others?

really appreciate the input..

goldenlight

Enlightened

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at Zebralight and think no more. It has one of the best UI around and customer support is great. What more could one ask for? You could also order direct from Zebralight's website which includes free shipping. What's not to like about Zebralight?

EDIT to ADD: Btw, I just sold mine away not because it is no good but I already own a few HDS clickies and I prefer the UI of the HDS clicky more than the SC50w+. The Zebralight ended up sitting in a corner untouched. So the next best thing to do is to sell it away. I did however get myself a H501w headlamp which fits a particular niche where a flashlight can't do.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
What about a proton pro? It's fewer lumens than you'd like, but it's still pretty bright and it does have a front switch. It is within your budget though.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
Try the Lifegear 3AAA here...

http://www.firstaidstore.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=949e6f05-e9fe-49fc-afbe-d278e31bfab7

I have had one for a couple of years and think the world of it. It's only on/off, but that's usually all I need. I've carried a Proton microlight for years and years which meets 90% of my needs and is there when I need it. But for those few times I need more, it's the Lifegear that I pull out. I have Magleds, Surefires, Streamlight and others, but I prefer the Lifegear because of it's output, size and IT HAS A SIDE CLICKIE:hitit:

It's as bright as my Magled 2D with about twice the hot spot size. You can't drop it in the mud and back a tank over it, but I don't use my lights for that purpose anyway:)

Hope this helps!

C.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can justify the cost, the SC30 gets my vote too. I got one of these on a trade and I LOVE it. Sold one to one of my local cops too and I run it on RCR123's from AW and this thing is stupid bright for it's size (193 lumens). Has the forward button which I prefer, super small, has a clip, looks good, well made and has very usable and easy to switch modes.

GEorge

pounder

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the suggestions..the proton pro is cool, but it's a lot like the one coast led lenser at home depot (6 nichia leds)..the wife likes a cree led for decent throw when she's walking out to the parking lot at school..I guess the zebralight is the best of the bunch..but if she gets one i'm getting one too lol..

thanks again..

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for all the suggestions..the proton pro is cool, but it's a lot like the one coast led lenser at home depot (6 nichia leds)..the wife likes a cree led for decent throw when she's walking out to the parking lot at school..I guess the zebralight is the best of the bunch..but if she gets one i'm getting one too lol..

thanks again..

I have an SC50w+ as my EDC and it's a great little light. I used to carry both a Quark AA2 and a Nitecore EZAAw but the SC50 has replaced both. It has an XPE Q4/5B emitter in it, and the hotspot is fairly narrow so it throws pretty well in spite of the wide overall beam pattern. It out throws my Quark AA2 XPG NW in fact. Overall though, it's a much more floody light, and is best for short range (less than 15 yards or so) use.

They're supposed to be coming out with a neutral white SC51 and a neutral white H51 as well. Sometime around december for the SC51w from what I've heard.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
thanks for all the suggestions..the proton pro is cool, but it's a lot like the one coast led lenser at home depot (6 nichia leds)..the wife likes a cree led for decent throw when she's walking out to the parking lot at school..
I think you are thinking of the older Photon Proton (multi-LED) ... the Proton Pro is a single Cree XR-E light (with a secondary red 5mm LED). I included it in my last 1xAA round-up review thread.

My daughter carries one and she likes it (small size, easy to use with the front button). My only comment is that they tend to use older emitters, which are not as efficient or bright as newer ones. The spill beam also tends to have distortions in, due to the secondary LED.

I guess the zebralight is the best of the bunch..but if she gets one i'm getting one too lol..
Ah, the secret to a happy marriage. :laughing:

Seriously, the SC51/SC50 are a nice lights - see that review for more details.