Modify your own Pelican M6 reflector.

LightChucker

Enlightened
If you hate to waste a perfectly good PM6 reflector (or you managed to ruin one somehow), you can modify the factory reflector to fit the McModule without using a lathe. A friend of mine managed to ruin his modified reflector by removing the bright finish, but he still had the factory reflector. So, I gave it a shot, and it worked. No reason that you couldn't do the same thing.

Since Pelican has shown that their tolerances are broad, just be prepared to adjust my instructions a little to compensate if necessary.

Here is how to do it:

There are 3 plateaus on the M6 reflector. All you have to do is sand or file away the smallest one to where it is flush with the next level. The resulting hole is the exact size you need to fit over the LED on the McModule. As a finishing touch, use a sharp countersink from the back side to remove any burrs left from the sanding/filing.

As you get close to the finished product, switch to a fine sand paper. This will produce a smaller burr that will be less likely to cause problems when you remove it.

Make sure that you remove enough material that the hole fits over the LED and that the reflector does not come in contact with the soldered wires of the LED. This was not a problem for me, but if the dimensions are different from unit-to-unit you might have to remove more or less material that I did.

(Another thing, don't use strong solvents to clean the reflector. Apparently the orange-peel effect is done by some kind of lacquer finish that the solvent could remove. Use soap and water, and don't rub.)

I hope this helps someone, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuck

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chuck,

Your suggestion is right on the money. I designed the stand off of the McModule to mate directly to the reflector with the last section removed. The dimensions of the reflector seem to be stable; unlike other variations we have seen in the battery tube. Tight focus is typically achieved when the reflector is against the McModule. In the case of the 5W, a null in the center beam results in this focus and by backing the LED out of the reflector by about .020", the null disappears.

- Don

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
Chuck/Don,

Any pics to illustrate what you just decribed? Thanks.