what can i do with my 3C m*g

david_winstanley

Newly Enlightened
rooting through a cupboard i came across an old 3c mag that the batteries had ruptured in, i cleaned it out but never got round to buying new batteries for it.
as we are getting into camping i now have a need for the "bump in the night" scenario torch.

my question is
can i modify my 3C new bulb/bats etc or should i get something like the pelican M6 or G2 and use my 3C as a inbetweene light
(prior to this i have concentrated with LED (reactor II/III/infinity ultra)

also please be aware im in the UK and fairly new to modifying and as unsure of some abreviations.

many thanks in anticipation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can turn your 3C into 350 lumen powerhouse by switching it to run 4x123 batteries (or better yet, 4x123 + 1AA lithium) and a Welch Allyn 01318 bulb. Or, 3+1 and a WA01274 bulb. Or, run a 2-cell bulb in your 3 cell light. It won't last long but it will be bright.

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The hard part is getting the bulb.

A 2C works better for this mod.... 3x123A driving a 5 cell M*g bulb or a KPR112 (should be a LOT easier to find these bulbs than Carley or Welch Allyns!!!)

But you can do it in a 3C if you figure out how to take up the rest of the space. I actually have a 5cell Whitestar bulb running on 3x123 + 1AA, but it is in a 2D M*g that seems to have some resistence in it. It is VERY bright!

Running a 2 cell bulb on 3 cells might be good, but the bulb may not last more than minutes. My minimum overdrive is a 3cell drivin by 4, and I have flashed some some KPR103s in my time!

Any light I am absolutely going to depend on, such as the ones hanging at strategic locations around my house, do NOT get overdrive. I want them to be extremely dependable. A few are LED for that very reason! Most are variations of Rayovac 3D Industrial lights with nice dependable slide switch and textured reflector for a nice round beam.

The only M*gs I even pick up and "play" with are my hot-rodded ones, including SNII.

I would consider the purchase of something else if I was in your shoes KNOWING what I now know. (for a dependable camping light... the M*g is okay for fun.)

Please take everything I have typed here with a HUGE grain of salt!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm running 3 - 123s with a 6 cell bulb. Compare it to a full sized 6 cell M@g light...it's just one "tool in the box" along with many, many, many, many, many, many, many more! Fun to play with for comparisons with non-flashaholics!