• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Mod help for 4th-gen KL1

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... more like services wanted :)

The background story is that I've acquired a KL1 that is a nightmare to open, at least with my limited tools and experience. For example, nobody in this country has heard of a strap wrench. I'm using vise grip pilers and have already managed to scuff the KL1 and injure myself in the process, so I'm not particularly happy.

I'm willing to fork over the $$ by Paypal to anybody who's willing to open the KL1 for me :) I do require international shipping though, so let me know if you're up to it. First Class Intl is not that expensive for such a tiny item - a few dollars really - and I will cover the cost anyway.

Drop me a PM and let me know how much you'd like for your time and effort in:

1. Opening the beast! JUST crack it open will be sufficient - I have enough expertise to follow up with a SSC P4 and soldering iron if necessary
2. Rebias the circuit to 750mA or thereabouts (I'm open to suggestions)

Here's where it gets challenging and you can probably quote commensurately higher:
3. Remove the scuffs from the KL1. I can think of stripping the ano, polishing, and clearcoating it - I need clearcoat to reduce maintenance
4. Get an XP-G into the thing and hit 350 emitter lumens :D

Note that I don't need all 4 services, if you can offer me just item 1, then 80% of the battle is already won. If you'd like to extract some extra $ from me then of course feel free to suggest what you can do :)

Drop me a line, thanks!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel for ya man. Have you tried heat? I used my gas stove to open a KX2 once. Saw DaFabricata use a torch on an L1 of mine. I opened another SF of mine in the oven. It took several tries, but once I let it get hot enough, it opened with rubber grips pads like you use to open stubborn jars. If it takes a lot of effort, it needs to be hotter. Put it back in the heat and only try to open it for a few seconds at a time so the grip pads don't melt - unless you have silicone ones.
I have never opened a KL1 though. I have heard they have a difficult thin wire that is prone to break as soon as you pull it open, so be careful and watch for that.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have tried flame but probably not enough. Vise grip pilers aren't that great either. Waiting for a couple of strap wrenches before I try flame again, hopefully it will work.

Wiring damage isn't too worrying, I've looked at the pictures and perhaps it's more an issue with the older 3rd-gen KL1s (which were easier to work with - I did 2 and it was pretty effortless!). However I'm fairly confident I can repair or at least replace any of the internals that get damaged :)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Kevin,
If you want to send it to me, I'll give it a go on opening it as long as you pay the shipping both ways..
I may be able to help you with some of your other requests as well.

Send me a PM and I'll give you my address if you are interested.
As Mark stated, I have a pretty surefire technique (pun intended) to open surefire heads.
It may be this evening before I can reply since I have a LOT of catch up to do after being sick.
-Tim

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks! :)

Let me give it one more try tomorrow, we're going to get some strap wrenches and give it one more shot before I make a decision on how to proceed with this head.

Get well soon too!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
GOT IT!!!!!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3560366&postcount=26

The victory was not without some casualties though, but it is ok.

Wanted to say thanks to all of you who have offered help by PM or in the thread, it is much appreciated knowing you guys 'have me covered' in the event that I failed. Well, I failed partially, but the light is now open and upgradeable and so we will see how it goes from here :)