Spot me a bunny! Hunting light...

Moph

Newly Enlightened
Hi all :wave:

Long time grazer of the forum (as a guest) and lover of all things bright 'n shiny, but have typically been able to work out what's best from the locally available options. I'm searching for a hunting spotlight or two for my rifle at the moment though and came across dealextreme [DX link removed - Kestrel] now my head just hurts!!!

What I have:
- CZ 452 American .22LR rifle
- Arctic Fox 3-9x40 AO scope
- Desire to hit bunnies at 20-80m without spooking the rest of the warren (rifle is silenced)

What I (think I) need:
- 1 x red LED light running a single 18650, light output >200 lumens, single on/off press switch, wide end of throw or variable beam suitable for 'scanning' a paddock out to about 50m distance
- 1 x white LED light running a single 18650, light output >250 lumens, pressure switch mounted near trigger, tight thrower suitable for lighting the hapless bunny up for the moment or two prior to making the shot.

I was originally looking at either an EDI-T P16-R 280 lumen 18650 or a Wolf Eyes Nighthunter 350 lumen 18650, but then I came to realise that I was being sold on marketing and had no idea whether they were actually worth the dough. I'm happy with lightweight and cheap construction so long as it's somewhat knock resistant - they'll be mounted on either side of the scope so I won't be banging them around. Length is limited to about 150mm, barrel diameter about 25mm (1") to suit scope rings, and weight should be under 150g apiece.

Of greatest importance is depth of penetration and beam pattern. Ideally the red LED would light up a swathe approximately 10m wide at 50m; the white LED at that distance should have a centre spot of say 1m, preferably with a small amount of spill out to say 5m to assist in target reaquisition if the bunny moves. Would be good to have the white reach further than 50m too if possible so that I can scan at greater distances, where the white is less likely to startle anyway.

Don't need strobe, SOS, etc ... just on/off for the red LED and momentary/on/off for the white. Is there anything out there that vaguely fits these specs, or am I being unrealistic? Happy to build them up if someone can help out with specs!!!

Cheers =) Moph

CZ452-1024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:welcome:
CPF has developed a Flashlight Recommendation Checklist which helps with flashlight recommendations. It's helpful to copy&paste the text from that with your specific uses / requirements.

With regards to what you're looking for, that might be a rather specific combination and I am unsure as to how close you will be able to get to that.

Also, no links to DX please - I have removed the hyperlink in your post.

Last edited:

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Look at the red Sniper Hawg Lights Mini Sniper, or the red Kill Light XLR100.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Well since we have something in common i will tell you about my critter light. But first here is a list of my cz's. 550fs in 270 winchester, cz p-01 with crimson trace grips, cz97b i sold my cz75b , wwish i didnt.
As far as lights go i use my eagletac t100c2 to shoot night critters. This light really throws and has a tight hotspot . It will light up a critter pretty good to around 100 yards. One of my best shots ever , i was holding my ruger govt. Target .22 pistol and my t100c2 and stoned a bunny at real close to eighty yards. That pistol shoots like a rifle. Oh yeh that E.T t100c2 will run for about 3 hours on high on a 18650 with good regulation. Their may be some better suggestions but the e.t. Is a good one. http://www.eagletac.com/flashlights/t100c2.html

Hessy

Newly Enlightened
well i like my DBS V3 XP-G r5 for shooting bunnies.
Great spot, a little bigger than the R2 hot spot, and enough spill to make it useful. you can usually track a little better if there on the move too.
Has the sort of lumens your after too.
Good thing about this light is that if you dont like a certain beam profile you can just change the drop in.
Im not sure how long your heading out for but i usually find that one 18650 is enough as i dont have it on all the time, if not, i bring a spare batt with me.
good size, not too big. I love mine.
I find myself reaching for the DBS alot more often than other lights.

hybridfiat

Newly Enlightened
Ive just taken delivery of 3 SacredFire NF-009 Cree Q2-WC 160-Lumen LED Flashlight (2*18650/4*CR123A)
Item Number 19372 from dealextreeme.com
The spot is very concentrated and has a reach beyond the capabilities of a .22LR. Despite the 160 lumen rating it is way brighter than my Surefire 230lm torch. Just not a lot of halo spread. Perfect for bunnies.
The front lens is big but Ive made special inverted U brackets that allow me to use the torch to spotlight and find the coney by hand, then quickly rest the rifle on the torch body and have the beam aligned with the scope. I cant post pics as Im not at home for 8 days but I think you get the idea.
The rear bracket is on the forestock and as my bunny rifle is a Browning LA the front bracket is mounted to the barrel/tube. This gives the big front bell of the torch clearance. Only $24 and free postage. You have to buy the 18650 batteries and charger separate (about $16).

lawsiejr

Newly Enlightened
I currently use a dereelight dbs r2 with an aspherical head for hunting rabbits etc. For the ranges your shooting at the standard dbs head is more than adequate.
Its a great torch as it can be updraded or changed to suit your needs