Fenix Flashlight problems

Artful1

Newly Enlightened
:confused:New to the site. Please forgive the new thread. May have already been covered elsewhere. Real quick... I'm a very busy Home Inspector...use a flashlight on and off 8-12 hours a day five days a week. I use them as intended but they do get a TON of use during the day. I've been through Streamlight flashlights... The Ultra Stinger and Poly Stingers. After a while realized rechargables loose their ability to recharge very well...and over time those lights wound up in the drawer at home. Then I searched the net. Seems like everybody loves these FENIX flashlights. Never found a negative comment anywhere. Made me wonder if they pay people to sit around writing fake posts.
...so I went with the PD30...I got it and used it for about three weeks. Great..loved it...started to think this amazing light was the real deal. I order another one same model... I loved the first one so much I wanted a back up. ... few more weeks... I purchase one for a maintenance manager friend that works with Wegman's stores. (Christmas gift)

... All of a sudden during a home inspection I realize my light is stuck in the low lumen mode:shakehead...and will not switch out. I change batteries (SUREFIRE) ... no difference. I toss it...and grab the back up... about a week goes by... and bam... same thing:ironic:. Stuck on low lumen...no high, medium, SOS or strobe. I clean them as directed in instructions...no change.

THEN... I get a call from my friend...stating the light is stuck on the low setting.:thumbsdow

Any ideas out there folks? Sounds like a design flaw. I can't imagine 3 with the same exact defect being a random problem. My gut is telling me I've purchased a cheap CHINA made light that works well...long enough for the reviewers to rave about them. None of the reviews seem to be down the road. I always see people reviewing right out of the box.

... I'm no tougher on my lights than any other inspector in the field.
...so for now I've gone to Surefire LumaMax 2. Found a good price of $159. Bought one for the friend... and two for myself. I liked using the Fenix for weight and ease of use. The Lumamax requires to many fancy turns to get the light to where you want it.
So far even my Surefire has a defect. Constant on 200 lumen setting does not work. The back-up does so I know it is supposed to work. My gut tells me Surefire...will be easier to get repaired...I don't know.

But back to the Fenix lights... I have two sitting here plus my buddies light...not being used. Any thoughts in Candle Land. THX in advance folks.

carrot

Flashaholic
Contact your dealer or Fenix directly for a repair or replacement. Otherwise, consider some other models, such as the Surefire E2L or the Quark 123-2 Tactical.

FenixIlluminated

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Fenix user myself,
I think that they are good lights and it is a shame that you had problems.
Personally I would have got the LD20 myself, but to each their own.
Contact Fenix @ [email protected] and explain your problem.
I imagine they would be good about it, let us know what happens.

I own two TK45 flashlights, the second TK45 light that I ordered was ordered at a different time. For some reason my second light has a button that sticks slightly and I'm not happy with it. It's certainly nothing that renders the light useless, it's just a minor irritation & my only complaint.
This is the button on the left hand side so sometimes it skips through modes.

Contact them and let us know how it goes,
good luck!

Shawn L

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak for your problems with Fenix but call Surefire in the morning and they'll take care of you.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
No light company is perfect.

Best to contact them and see what they can do. I've purchased 4 Fenix lights in the past 2-3 years. Gave 2 of them to friends and have had no complaints.
The other I gave to my mum who has had it bouncing it around her keychain for around a year and a half now.

The one I kept for myself is one of my most use lights and is going strong after 2years.

Seems you might of been unlucky and gotten a bad batch.

Although it doesn't seem fair that you insinuate that a well respected company is paying off people to write good reviews or that they are intentionally manufacturing faulty lights that only last long enough to get a good review.
You would think with the 1000's of users here on CPF one of them would have caught on to such a scam.

I'm by no means an expert on lights or electronics. But it is strange for 3 quality lights to fail identically. Maybe some of the more intelligent members here can provide some insight.

aalite

Newly Enlightened
have you tried tightening the metal ring inside the tailcap? my fenix ld10 seems to exhibit the same behavior when the ring is loose.:thinking:

Newly Enlightened
... All of a sudden during a home inspection I realize my light is stuck in the low lumen mode:shakehead...and will not switch out. I change batteries (SUREFIRE) ... no difference. I toss it...and grab the back up... about a week goes by... and bam... same thing:ironic:. Stuck on low lumen...no high, medium, SOS or strobe. I clean them as directed in instructions...no change.

Are you sure installed the battery correctly (i.e no reverse polarity ) ??
I have read same problem like your Fenix ( stuck only on VERY low beam ) because he accidentally installed the battery with reverse polarity ( i think the driver is fried ).

If something like this happened on your fenix, I'm sure it is not covered by the warranty, because it's your fault not the light.

But if you sure installed battery correctly, you might want contact the dealer where you got your Fenix. Hope This help

PerttiK

Enlightened
My only problem with my fenixes has been loose retaining ring in tailcap.
Some of them get loose sometimes, others stay tight.

Jackyl

Enlightened
When I got my PD30 Q5, I immediately sent it back because of this. They sent another, and it did the same thing. This was using both barely used and brand new PRC Batt. Station primaries that read 2.9v+.

I gave up and went with Nitecore again.

I received a new PD30-R4 last night that works perfectly with new US made B.S. primaries. I hope it stays that way. I blame the old PRC B.S. primaries.

Jackyl

Enlightened
Look at the underside of the head...there are visible safeguards to prevent the battery from making contact in the event it is installed upside-down. aka reverse polarity.

PRC BS= Chinese manufacture Battery Station batteries. All current manufacture is US.

Newly Enlightened
Image you installed the AAA battery on maglite solitare.

The right way to install the battery is putting the battery nipple (+) toward the flashlight head and battery butt (-) toward the bottom of battery tube.

When you reverse the battery ( battery but toward the head, battery nipple toward the bottom of battery tube ), that's reverse polarity.

Jackyl

Enlightened
My PD30-R4 has the SMO reflector and I really like it. It does have a SLIGHT void aka doughnut at low and medium, but only when within about 10-15' of a white wall. Surprisingly enough, it throws every bit as well as my SR3-R2, only I much prefer the tint of the Fenix.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very pro-fenix, but only have a TK20 and an LD20, both very solid and reliable performers. However, I'm sure that like pretty much any company other lights they make are not always so consistent..

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
I can say MOST of my fenix lights have no issues and get EDC'd, beat upon, dropped, etc. My Primary EDC P2D Q5 Prem. just works, never had a problem. My faithful E01 on the key ring is getting more and more beat up, but works well, BUT, my L1D has a flaky switch, but still is dependable, and my recently purchased P3D Q5 Prem has mismatched ano and the head likes to go into high mode when I know I'm in low mode,( head unscrewed several turns) whenever it wants. Overall I really like my fenix, faults and all. Sorry to hear you had so many problems with your PD series light.

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
Question about reverse polarity

Is this the cause of a fried flashlight?

If I insert the battery holder reverse or battery itself reverse?

Artful1

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. I posted on the 12th and right away sent an email to FENIX from the click on "Contac Us" on their main site. Today is the 16th and still no response.
I was pretty excited about the one post..tighten the tailpiece ring...no response. Light still sticks on low lumen setting. Posts about batteries going in backwards. I think I have placed batteries in backwards before...when the light does not come on... I turn them around...and fine..light would work. Have a habit of doing that with any light. Good thought there.

I've done the same with my Surefire lights..never had a problem.
Just a note about amazing SureFire service.
On the 12th ... I wrote to Surefire about an issue with one of 3 LumaMax L2 lights I'd purchased in the last year. Mentioned that one does not hold constant high lumen setting. Could I send in for repair?
I got an email with 1 hour from a guy named Chris. He said it sounds like you may have a defective tailpiece. He asked for my address..he is sending me a new tailpiece. No receipts, warranty info..nothing.
I'm amazed. Then I get a confirmation next day that a package had been sent to me from SureFire (tracking receipt).
I sent back nice email offering to pay and send back the bad tailpiece.
He says, ... don't worry about it. We don't need it. ...and there is no charge.

These are the three lights I purchased to replace the 3 FENIX lights.
...gave one to my friend the maintenance manager at Wegmans.

To the guy with the same problem! Thanks for the mention. I'm not crazy afterall! LOL:whistle:

My comments about people being paid to sit around masquarading as customers on the net. It is a common practice...and you really have to watch what your buying. Never totally believe all the comments good or bad in review sections like Amazon. Life lesson. I do not regret the comments. I'm an inspector remember. I'm paid to be suspisious! LOL!!

Great site folks for us flashlight junkies. As I get older I don't know what it is. I'm obsessed with old watches, a good flashlight and dream of owning a 1967 Austin Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8!

Later guys!

Newly Enlightened
Question about reverse polarity

Is this the cause of a fried flashlight?

If I insert the battery holder reverse or battery itself reverse?

If the flashlight circuit (i.e driver ) does not have reverse polarity protection, i think it will fried the circuit.