Are Real World torch standards ever a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Teking 35W HID torch states "Lighting distance > 1.5Km."

And also it states on the box "It's just like a stadium light!".

IMG_6006.jpg

Where do they get the nerve to print such rubbish.

My Stanley 35W HID can only make it 500 yards across the water under a big dark bridge here in Australia and it is a lot narrower beam than the Teking garbage.

This Teking piece of rubbish that I have posted before about on CPF certainly is no thrower but the manufacurers still get away with these wild specifications that get people in.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/285279

I have never received a sensible reply from either the dealer in Melbourne, Australia or Teking in China.

Surely this is blatant deceptive advertising.

Do you guys ever envisage a Standards for Torches even being implemented?

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This standard are already implemented, it is called FL1.
But it does not improve on specified throw, it allows to calculate throw down to 0.25 lux.

I suppose if I was on the moon with a really big telescope I could say that I saw my Teking HID barely light up.

Or maybe using Google Earth.

These standards of 0.25 lux are ridiculous!

What use is 0.25 lux at a distance of 1.5 kms.

You did mean lux not lumens didn't you?

It's a bit like saying you could fill a dam with a garden hose.

You could but it would be impractical to implement. :whistle:

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
These standards of 0.25 lux are ridiculous!
What use is 0.25 lux at a distance of 1.5 kms.

Problem is not the standard itself but these manufacturers who doesn't calculate throw in compliance with the standard. They just make up some huge number for advertising purposes...

To get 1.5km throw in compliance with the FL1 standard you need a light with 600 000 candela (lux/1m). I'm pretty sure that your HID has just around 50-100k lux at best.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad I got the Stanley 35W HID because it throws really well and I can replace the SLA battery easily.

I am an Electrician and that helps too.

I compared the two torches under a big local bridge at night and the Stanley HID throws over twice that of the crappy Teking HID although a lower colour temp would have been good in the Stanley.

I am about to look up the FL1 standard as I did not know it existed.

Thats what happens when you talk to those that know your hobby.

CPF is really a big world of sensible knowledge with pretty sensible moderators.

I can see their point when they correct me on things, but hey I have only been on here for a few months and it is a lot to get used to.

I just wish I could warn more people about these CHINESE JUNK TORCHES more than what I can so far.

There are possibly good Chinese HID torches out there but this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

There are good well known respected brands coming from China like my Olight M30.

It just casts a shadow across the whole indusrty.

These no-name or hardly any name big production run HIDs look all the same to me.

I just wonder if there is any good components in any of these HIDs.

As I say LET THE BUYER BEWARE, do your research especially here on CPF and stick to well known brands and tested models.

Surely the Military and Law Enforcement cannot trust what they see in advertising, so do they do REAL WORLD tests?

Maybe they get batches for free to do tests on them.

Or maybe the buyers in charge of purchasing from these big buying groups do a lot of searching here on CPF!!!

Do most LEOs get their flashlights issued to them as part of their work needs and are factored into Departmental costing?

Do they pay for the batteries themselves?

It seems like a lot of LEOs have a second or third flashlight that buy from their own money as backups to increase their chances of survival.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am closing this thread as the topic of overrated lumen/lux, etc specs from manufacturers has been discussed several times here on CPF. Here is a link to a previous thread regarding the new flashlight standards. Use search here on CPF or google, cpf only at the top of every CPF page to research this topic further if you wish.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts