Fenix TK-40?

djc430

Newly Enlightened
A year ago, it seemed that the Fenix TK-40 was a great choice for someone that wanted a lot of light in a relatively small package (under 8 inches). Is this light still a good choice? I'm looking for a torch, 8 in. or under, that could be carried in a coat pocket, for patrolling private property. Also, I'd like to stay under $250.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum, but many of the posts are not current.

Any help would be appriciated.

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Mac's Custom Tri-EDC (up to 800 lumens) or his normal EDC (up to 500 lumens). Great value and his fit and finish is second to none.

Todd

HKJ

Flashaholic
On AA batteries it is still one of the best options, another one is Fenix TK45, but it has less throw.

If you want LiIon batteries (18650), there are lots of other choices.

I have compared some of the choices in my beamshot here

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
OverReady V3 triV-xpg in a Surfire 6P or Solarforce will do that no prob.
ElectroLumens EDC MC-E has the same emitter as the Fenix TK40 but will fit in your pocket.
Really well built. $130 I think, and runs on an 18650.

alexdiver

Newly Enlightened
i have a tk40, and i have never regretted buying it. Its a really good light.
And you can always find aa's even at the corner store in the middle of the country.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Love mine.

It's been reliable. Takes AA's. I keep Eneloops in mine and have alkalines for backup. Not too big, not too small. Good output and not too expensive.

There are other choices for sure ... but you have to do a self-assessment first. Are you a battery "nerd"? If you are then perhaps you can go differently and explore the more exotic offerings ... otherwise the AA aspect becomes even more important.

I think it's a great combo of usefullness, practicality and value.

Good luck.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK40 is a benchmark light. Even in years to come when you will be getting 800 lumens from a single AA for 10 hours, the TK40 will stand strong in memory as the first truly high output AA light. That's why I will always keep mine.

As for now, it's still going to be a while before it becomes obsolete.

Join the Marketplace and keep your eyes open. You can find them there for about $100. Some will even come with a set of eneloops.

Last edited:

ThomasH

Newly Enlightened
I love my new Fenix TK-40!

I just bought one from The Battery Station two weeks ago, and I love it!

I laugh every time I turn it on, it's so bright! Like having a headlight in your hand.

I bought a couple of Gene Malkoff's Hound Dogs at the same time (from Malkoff direct of course) and some 18650's batteries; and I have his drop-ins for my 5 C-cell and 6 D-cell Maglights. These are all very bright, have great throw and spill, and I love them too, but they are "nothing" compared to the TK40!

I bought two of the 8-packs of Enveloops from Costco, so I always have 8 in the TK-40 and 8 more ready to go.

Couldn't be happier, and I'm thinking of getting another as a gift for my brother who moved to upstate New York, as I'm sure it's getting very dark, very early up there.

- Thomas

ukrdude1

Newly Enlightened
I love fenix tk40....but.....I had recently bought one on amazon(updated model) and returned it the next day because the emitter was very off-center.
so I bought another one on craigslist, like new, and after closely examining it at home, I found the LED lens to be off-center as well...

I am having the worst luck with the best light!!!:mecry:

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love fenix tk40....but.....I had recently bought one on amazon(updated model) and returned it the next day because the emitter was very off-center.
so I bought another one on craigslist, like new, and after closely examining it at home, I found the LED lens to be off-center as well...

I am having the worst luck with the best light!!!:mecry:

Don't worry about the off centre emitter. It makes no difference to the beam profile.

My TK40's first head had a perfectly centred emitter. It had a dodgy reflector so Fenix swapped the head and the new one is off centre, but the beam is still that awsome beam that it is. It should only bother you if you're a perfectionist, and these lights aren't perfect. For that, you need to spend LOTS more.

ukrdude1

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info...what a relief, and I thought I had a defective light....=D...great now I can finally stop crying...lol, jk