lost in the woods

LoneRebel

Enlightened
My modded Coleman Sentinel with LED's. If you run outta juice, you just crank away. A non-buggy Swiss-Light II would be good to have also.

Tomas

Banned
Uh, make that 12 or more hours - northern lattitudes, winter ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif

rodmeister

Enlightened
If only one light, either a Tikka, Zipka or Aurora head lamp to free up my hands for survival tasks. Would like a a Surefire E2e if I could have a second light.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of woods? What region of the US and for how long? Do I expect to hike out in the next day or two?

Of the lights I own, I can name 1 that comes to mind--the Petzl tikka plus!
headlamp, led, adjustable settings and long runtime.

Space Needle II if I want to flag down a SAR plane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure I'll blind the pilot and the resulting crash and blaze will provide plenty of light in which to be rescued in.
I'm basing this all on the fact that nobody would "purposely" be looking for me. Afterwards, I'll have all kind of uniformed people trying to find me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-nosaj

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing says "come and get me" like an aircraft landing light in a hand-held package.

I've been considering the various types of woods and I've come to a conclusion--something with long reach could really come in handy. Every time I've been camping I've only had short to medium distance lights for general lighting purposes. Picking out carins, landmarks and such could be much easier with a good, tight spot.

Maybe my joke about a SNII could have some truth in it. A good suplemental light...and good for keeping warm with in the winter if you're snowbound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

Tomas

Banned
My "come and get me light" when I was doing a lot of fairly serious mountain 4X4ing and such was a single, tiny, dim, red LED ... on my aircraft ELT.

When I was out in the mountains I used to carry my ELT with me - I figured 'why leave it in the plane' parked back at the airport?

Probably not a strictly lawful potential use for the ELT, but we'll sort that out after they come get me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig6.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
I would prefer a Surefire A2... run on low light unless I need something bright. Also, I would definitely carry spare batteries if I was going far afield. If I was out that far though, I think I would take GPS, and hopefully not be lost!

David <><

charliek

Enlightened
Don't forget extra batteries for the GPS.... my Garmin eats them like gumdrops. This is why I like to use the same batteries in my favorite camping flashlight as I do in my GPS, my Weather radio, etc... this way I can carry less types of spare batteries.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I always keep my keys with me and I have a Inova Lithium micro light on it that I can use. That thing is pretty bright for a keychain flashlight!

I don't have one but if I do get access to one, I'd use a Maxabeam. I could probably use it to signal a rescuer as well.

In a really bad situation, any Surefire weapons light mounted on the end of a gun

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
The only time in my life that I actually got lost in the woods I had no light at all. I made it out by the moon light and there wasn't much of that because the trees were so thick. I had no intentions of been in the woods after dark but then I had no intentions of getting lost either. This was a place called Hell-Hole-Swamp, (that is actually the name that is on the maps). Because I had no light I lost the trail after dark and it was very hard going through the thick brush and undergrowth. This is a place that I am sure was full of rattle snakes and cotton mouth moccasins. Luckily I did not panic. I heard the sound of a car going by way off in the distance. I found that moving through the brush I could not hear anything. So I stopped and stood perfectly still ever few minutes until I could hear a car. Then I moved toward the sound. After about 2 hours I made it to a road and got a ride.

That was years ago before I became a flashlight nut (Oh excuse me I mean Flashaholic). I now EDC two LED lights, so I should not be caught without a flashlight again. I use to EDC 3 lights but I threw that UK 2AAA in the trash where it belongs. If I knew that I was going to a place like that in advance I would have my snake bite boots on and my Scorpion and my 3C Twin Task. I would also have my cell phone so I could do like the guy in the TV commercial "Can you hear me now?". I would also have my Garmin GPS 12. I would also have my Army compass (my son gave me his when he got out of the 101 Airborne). The reason I would carry a compass is that a hand held GPS is too slow at giving you a change in compass headings when you are walking. A good knife and a canteen of water.

The only thing I don't like about my Scorpion is that rubber sleeve it is incased in. If I use it enough I may even learn to like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, beats the tigerlight. I was actually thinking about wild animals at that time. A couple other lights I would have is my 2 AA Coleman Graphite series with either a Night Pearl or an Ever LED lamp. Of course, I wouldn't get lost in the woods unless I'm camping and I would then be carrying my Coleman Remote Lantern with me.

Just in case, I'd add that 50mw green laser pointer I saw on the LED museum. I wonder if a helicoptor pilot can see the beam from that or I'd just use it to blind or distract the mountain lion in front of me!

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
charliek said:
Don't forget extra batteries for the GPS.... my Garmin eats them like gumdrops.

[/ QUOTE ]
My Magellan Map 330 eats cells like gumdrops, as well.

I used to keep a yellow Photon II on the Magellan's lanyard to save turning on the power hungry backlight. I bet that little light saved me many sets of cells...