Zebra light as gun light?

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any comments, good or bad, regarding the use of a zebra light as a firearms light???

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not even sure how you'd mount it... there isn't any accessory for a ZL that will give it the momentary on tactical activation typical of most lights used on firearms.

Lumenz

Enlightened
Don't do it. They aren't designed for that kind of abuse. Get a flashlight that you feel is dependable enough to bet your life on it.

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened
Not even sure how you'd mount it... there isn't any accessory for a ZL that will give it the momentary on tactical activation typical of most lights used on firearms.

I have a simple shotgun mount just wondering if it can withstand repeated recoil.

jgraham15

Enlightened
I have a simple shotgun mount just wondering if it can withstand repeated recoil.

Only one way to find out right! Give it a try and let us know how it holds up.

I personally wouldn't use one as a weapon light due to the switch placement but that's just me.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one way to find out right! Give it a try and let us know how it holds up.

I personally wouldn't use one as a weapon light due to the switch placement but that's just me.

Agreed. There are several lights out there, albeit more expensive ones, that are specifically designed to be used with weapon mounts. The Maelstrom G5 is specifically designed to be used as a weapon light; it has anti-recoil mechanisms built into it so that the circuit connection isn't broken during the shot so the light won't go out... Lights that aren't equipped with a strong enough spring may break contact at that point and the light will go out momentarily during the shot. Not sure about the ZL, but just pressing on the tailcap spring with my finger doesn't seem like it's stiff enough to withstand that kind of force.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't do it... ZL are great lights but not in my opinion the most durable.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Statements such as "it just doesn't feel durable" may lead some believe that ZLs will break down if given enough time. Weapon lights have either two springs or potted electronics or some other mechanical design in order to absorb the enormous amount of force with each recoil. Zebralights will last forever if you use them for their designed purpose, which is NOT as a weapon light.