need help w/ ideas for Streamlight Stinger upgrade

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
My father had this streamlight stinger for a long time now... it has gone through 1 bulb already and as far as batteries go, i went on ebay and bought him 2 batteries from hong kong.... anywho, i showed him my flashlights the other day and compared it to the stinger... long story short, i want to upgrade his stinger...

the flashlight i've been using is:
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/MG-P-dsh-Rocket-SST-dsh-50-Neutral/Detail

lookin for some ideas to upgrade his stinger and/or if its a better idea, purchase him a new light.

DaisyCutter

Newly Enlightened
I have a Stinger.

I don't hold it in high regard right now. It never impressed me, especially for the money I paid. I bought web gear for it. Nothing else is the same size.

I bought a genuine $22 battery for it today. It doesn't work.

Tomorrow the battery gets returned and the light gets sent in for service reference that "lifetime warranty". Then it goes on eBay.

To put it in reference. I'm a county cop who hasn't had a pay increase in a few years. I haven't even had a uniform allowance in a few years. I spent the money to resurrect the dim beam Streamlight after a year in the junk box, and it still failed me.

I've got a couple Inova lights I dearly love, which I bought on working man's wages. I wish they made one the exact dimensions of a Streamlight Stinger.

Edit: Get a new light.

Last edited:

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
Wow.. simply stated. I like that. After some intense (not) research, I am just going to get a new light for my pops. Now the question is....... which light? :thinking:

So many out there... Looking for an EDC type light. bright and lasts long (battery and build of product) flood and throw is good. price range? lets just say no more than $70. I gotta buy stuff for my mom too! ><

DaisyCutter, thanks for your input
icon14.gif

I have a Stinger.

I don't hold it in high regard right now. It never impressed me, especially for the money I paid. I bought web gear for it. Nothing else is the same size.

I bought a genuine $22 battery for it today. It doesn't work.

Tomorrow the battery gets returned and the light gets sent in for service reference that "lifetime warranty". Then it goes on eBay.

To put it in reference. I'm a county cop who hasn't had a pay increase in a few years. I haven't even had a uniform allowance in a few years. I spent the money to resurrect the dim beam Streamlight after a year in the junk box, and it still failed me.

I've got a couple Inova lights I dearly love, which I bought on working man's wages. I wish they made one the exact dimensions of a Streamlight Stinger.

Edit: Get a new light.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
I like the Terralux TLE-SE LED conversion.

Brightness is an A ... OK, B+ by XPG standards. The only flaw is that the beam is not the smooth unblemmished pattern we expect from LED's but is rather like an incandescent.

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
also should i mention, if i was to get a drop in for the streamlight, id have to replace the reflector and the lens... lens = cracked and the reflector = crap

SG688

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

AsianAnts

Newly Enlightened
more than likely now, im leaning towards purchasing him that pocket rocket from the site i posted earlier.

thanks guys for the input!