• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: D2 6P clone?

bstrickler

Enlightened
I'm looking into having a 6P clone made out of D2 steel by a local machinist, and I was wondering if anyone else was interested in having one made, too. Looking at a price of at least $375/flashlight, just for a bare-bones body with tailcap body (no guts), no o-rings, and no lens. Just the bezel, head, body, and tailcap.

Just curious if anyone else is interested in such a light.

I'm getting it made out of D2, because A) I can B) I hate that I'm always denting all my flashlights, and C) Why not?! There's titanium ones out there, so why not get a D2 one out?

Obviously, this won't be a light for high-power LED's. It should work fine for low-power/3W LED's (NOT overdriven at 1.2/1.5A), but that will be tested, first, before I confirm that. I won't know if it will be incan safe, as I am not a big incan fan (no complaining about this, please. Take it to PM if you really want to discuss it).

So, are there any flashaholics interested?

Just to re-iterate it... You will have to buy a lens, o-rings, tailcap innards (i.e. McClicky, or ZeroRez), and drop-in. None of these will be supplied, unless there is enough interest, and that will raise the cost some (I'm not paying for the stuff out of my own pocket. I want to make some profit, at least.)
The clone will also NOT have the anti-roll steps on the side, because that will add a fair bit (haven't asked yet, but I was informed it wouldn't exactly be cheap). If you wish, I can ask what the extra charge would be. Depending on the amount of interest, they may be numbered, and a limited edition (once they are gone, they are gone).

~Brian

Last edited:

ptolemy

Enlightened
I'm looking into having a 6P clone made out of D2 steel by a local machinist, and I was wondering if anyone else was interested in having one made, too. Looking at a price of at least $375/flashlight, just for a bare-bones body with tailcap body (no guts), no o-rings, and no lens. Just the bezel, head, body, and tailcap.

Just curious if anyone else is interested in such a light.

I'm getting it made out of D2, because A) I can B) I hate that I'm always denting all my flashlights, and C) Why not?! There's titanium ones out there, so why not get a D2 one out?

Obviously, this won't be a light for high-power LED's. It should work fine for low-power/3W LED's (NOT overdriven at 1.2/1.5A), but that will be tested, first, before I confirm that. I won't know if it will be incan safe, as I am not a big incan fan (no complaining about this, please. Take it to PM if you really want to discuss it).

So, are there any flashaholics interested?

Just to re-iterate it... You will have to buy a lens, o-rings, tailcap innards (i.e. McClicky, or ZeroRez), and drop-in. None of these will be supplied, unless there is enough interest, and that will raise the cost some (I'm not paying for the stuff out of my own pocket. I want to make some profit, at least.)
The clone will also NOT have the anti-roll steps on the side, because that will add a fair bit (haven't asked yet, but I was informed it wouldn't exactly be cheap). If you wish, I can ask what the extra charge would be. Depending on the amount of interest, they may be numbered, and a limited edition (once they are gone, they are gone).

~Brian

basic research shows:

D-2 steel contains 1.5% carbon and 11.0 – 13.0% chromium; additionally it is composed of 0.45% manganese, 0.030% max phosphorus, 0.030% max sulfur, 1.0% vanadium, 0.7% molybdenum, and 0.30% silicon. D2 is very wear resistant but not as tough as lower alloyed steels. It is widely used for shear blades, planer blades and industrial cutting tools, sometimes used for knives.

Is there a specific reason D2 would be beneficial in a flashlight?

So far you mentioned the nagatives: 1. cost, 2. can't do high power. 3. heavy

Also, it seems to be a bland version, without knurling or any kind of customization.

I am sure there will be few folks interested just because not many if any lights have been made from D2 steel, but personally I do not see it become popular

bstrickler

Enlightened
Is there a specific reason D2 would be beneficial in a flashlight?

So far you mentioned the nagatives: 1. cost, 2. can't do high power. 3. heavy

Also, it seems to be a bland version, without knurling or any kind of customization.

I am sure there will be few folks interested just because not many if any lights have been made from D2 steel, but personally I do not see it become popular

There's no technical benefit to it, other than if you abuse them like me, you're not really going to damage it easily.

I'm getting one done for me, because I thought it would be a neat idea.

I'm not expecting to sell more than 10 of them, either, so its popularity isn't a huge deal for me. I'll be having them made for whoever wants to buy one. If I sell a lot, I sell a lot. If I sell none, it was at least worth checking if anyone was interested.

I haven't worked out all the details with the machinist yet, so knurling isn't 100% figured out. I've been looking at having bands around the body, since it will be near impossible to knurl D2. Similar idea to the body grooving that's done to Mag's.

~Brian