Is it worth doing the spring mod if this is the only mod

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of lights, one with SSC-P7 and one with SST-50. With the tail cap removed and using an ammeter, these draw 2.2 and 2.9 A respectively. I don't want to change the emitter and was wondering if there is any benefit in doing a spring mod to either one if that is the only mod I do?

Considering I am only drawing the current these were originally designed for, instead of putting a much higher current emitter in, hopefully the original design is up to it.

The SST-50 has a spring for each terminal and the positive one inside the battery tube would require major dismantling as the Aurora SH-40 head is not readily removed from the battery tube, instead you need to take the reflector out and start removing screws. If I only did the tail cap spring, this might then cause the front spring to over heat with any extra current?

When would you use the spring mod?

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
What kind of batteries have you been using for your measurements? There are a lot of limiting factors like internal resistance, Vf of your emitter, driver circuit, etc which all will effect your current reading. the spring might also be a limiting factor, but spring mods are most common to maglite modifications or i.e. the Z41 Zero-Resistance-Kit for big incans or high current leds.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I depends on the light. If the light is direct drive (no driver) or resistor limited, the spring mod will make a little difference, though without instruments, you may or may not see it.

If the light uses a driver, the spring mod will make no difference in the brightness, but might slightly extend the runtime.