PM6 McModule... what the...?! Arrived already?!

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I had a nice surprise waiting for me at my doorstep via an express delivery from USPS, compliments of Mr. Bulk and the ever so amazing PM6 McModule. Charlie offered a new Pelican M6 with the McModule order, and at an incredibly good price... so it was a no-brainer to have the two mated and shipped out ready to go. And here it is!

fb3bfde5.jpg

fb3bfde1.jpg

Or I should say, here they are! Thanks to Quickbeam's review and instructions, I was able to change out my silver PM6 tailcap switch with the clickie kit from flashlightlens.com in less than two minutes. Works like a charm now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Not to mention the unbelievably clear UCL lens from Chris, this silver PM6 really has a clean look to it.

I didn't expect to receive the McModule-equipped silver PM6 so quickly (thanks, Charlie). This is a fantastic 5 watter LED with a very clean, white, bright light with just a slight tinge of blue. Very similar in light quality as the SNII in the background, only not as intense. The black PM6 sitting next to the silver PM6 is yet another fine build of the PM6 Module platform from McGizmo... only this one is equipped with the BB700 (with a 5W V2T). Both of them produce incredibly useful lighting. Don's Module build has a warmer tint with an ever so slight green hint to the light - very comparable to my SF L4, only brighter and a bit whiter.

I was so impressed with McGizmo's BB700 version that when Charlie offered up his second run on the McModules (BB750 with the V2T), I jumped at the chance to get another one. The quality of these mods are fantastic... my thanks to the entire McModule Team - Charlie, Don, Jeff (Mr. Ted Bear).

-Jim

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Holy crap... I knew I forgot someone - and a huge thanks for Wayne Y. (dat2zip) and for supplying all those incredible sandwiches... what a team. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks again fellas...

-Jim

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
UGGGH!! I received mine yesterday as well. However, I damaged my tailcap so badly that I had to send the PM6 to Pelican. So I CANT PLAY WITH IT YET!!!

Hopefully, my replacement will be back soon.

MSAX

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today on the east coast. I love being able to adjust the beam. Don't miss my Surefire L4 so much now.
Thanks McModule team, I love mine.
imgadgetman
edit: Actually got it yesterday, did not realize how late it was-time flies when your havin fun.

lmitch

Newly Enlightened
Re: PM6 McModule... what the...?! Arrived alread

I just got mine today, very white! Just one question, I remember reading about assembly, and I thought I read about leaving one of the rubber rings off for better focus. Can anyone tell me which ring I should leave off, or do I just swap out the matching components?

Thanks
Lar

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Lar, EVERYTHING comes out (old module, old reflector, reflector spring, and WHITE NYLON SPACER), to be replaced with just the two components I sent...

lmitch

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Charlie, I got it right, it works great! This may be the ultimate light! I was wondering about the thin black o-ring that was around the threaded portion that is exposed when you unscrew the lens cap. I dont't believe my light had a white spacer that was detachable.

I really like this light! The next thing is to get a clickie so it is easier to burn up the batteries!

Lar

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Lar,

Glad to hear you got it all set up and working well and Yes, getting a clickie is highly recommended.

batterystation

Enlightened

Police officers should use that mod. After you shine that thing in someones eyes, they can't see #$$%@ for an hour! That is the brightest thing I have EVER seen. Good work Charlie!!!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks Kev, but didn't I tell you not to shine it in your eyes??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened

Just got mine today! Thanks to all the McModule team! It's fantastic!! I bought two Pelicans, one to keep incandescent and one to McModule. When I compared the two to decide which one to convert, the difference between them was huge. One seemed to have the light mounted off-center. This one was very difficult to focus to arrive at a smooth beam. It was very irregular. Nonetheless, it turned out to be a lot brighter than the other, so I kept it. The McModule isn't as bright, but the uniform light field is fantastic and it just blows away most of my other lights, including all LEDs, obviously.

One question: I no longer have the ability to turn the light on permanently, only the pushbutton works. Is that expected? I have ordered a clickie, so it won't be a big issue once that arrives, but I was just curious anyway. If it should stay permanently on by turning far clockwise, is there anything I can do to restore that feature?

lmitch

Newly Enlightened

It should retain original functionality. If your does not, try switching back to incandescent to see if the probem is with the Pelican. Make sure you leave out the spring that was attached to the reflector assembly when in LED mode.

Lar

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, I put a little piece of tin foil between the two batteries (surrounded by a post-it note) and now it works. Seems to be some sort of clearance problem. It uses the same batteries the PM6 came with and, yes, it works in incandescent mode. I was wondering if maybe the spring was needed, but all documentation and this site say the opposite. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Alan this was not a PM6 that I provided, was it? Or Was it?

alanhuth

Newly Enlightened

No, I got them from Kevin at BatteryStation. I'm not criticizing him at all. He provided great, timely service and a good price. I would have bought them from you (Charlie) if I had been better informed because then I could have bought them with the clickie already installed.

I did not swap the McModule to the other light to see if it behaved the same, so I can't say whether this is a unique problem. Somehow, it seems that the net length of the battery cavity has expanded by installing the McModule, at least on this particular flashlight. Am I doing something wrong?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hmmm, the McModule was carefully designed by McGizmo to very closely approximate the exact length of the stock incandescent module, and if anything I would venture to guess that the McModule *might* even be a hair longer due to the slightly varying heights of the anode contact and brown delrin plug when actually installed in each hand-assembled McModule. Perhaps you could try gently "stretching" the tailcap spring...?

And if you still cannot get it to work, if you could just cover the shipping I'd be glad to set it all up for you.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
One question: I no longer have the ability to turn the light on permanently, only the pushbutton works. Is that expected? I have ordered a clickie, so it won't be a big issue once that arrives, but I was just curious anyway. If it should stay permanently on by turning far clockwise, is there anything I can do to restore that feature?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you could try gently "stretching" the tailcap spring...?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what happened with one my PM6s after fiddling around with the tailcap. As Charlie suggested, a bit of "stretching" of the tailcap spring and the normal twist for constant-on feature worked again.

Good luck...

-Jim

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

And oh yeah, before I forget -- I got my own stash of PM6's from Kevin, too.