Micro-scratches on my reflector... Any idea of how much efficiency is lost?

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Hello. I have an HDS EDC that I opened up and modded with an XP-G a while back. Yesterday I noticed some condensation on the lens so I opened it back up during a break at work and (in a hurry :shakehead and with out thinking) I lightly cleaned the reflector with paper towel::fail:. All is not lost, but I can see some micro-scratches on the reflector now. They are way smaller than hairline, but are visible all the way around the reflector surface. I haven't used the light in a little while, so I don't remember exactly what the original output looked like, but there is no drastic loss in output as far as I can tell. I can get a new reflector for $19, but shipping is $15 and I am not willing to pay that unless I have lost some noticeable efficiency here.

Has anyone looked into what kind of efficiency loss you get from an imperfect reflector surface? Any input from you reflector aficionados? Any way to re-polish the surface without doing more harm (I work in a machine shop and am pretty proficient with an engine lathe)?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your engine lathe will not help you in the repair process of the reflector. It will make it worse if anything at all.

Don't even try to Dremel polish the area either. This will deform your parabolic profile and give weird artifacts.

Most typical reflectors are aluminum or plastic substrate. The first layer that goes on is a interface bond layer then finally your reflective aluminum sputtering.

Your micro scratch is the damage on the aluminum sputtering. As you can see it's really delicate. There's not much you can do other than sputter more aluminum to cover the scratches.

Realistically, if you can't see a difference, then it doesn't matter right!