Need a recommendation for SF E-series LED head

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As above. I'm looking for a SF E-Series LED head, however I'm looking for something a bit special - that it has to be upgradeable by a user with soldering iron proficiency. That rules out official Surefire heads due to the excessive amount of threadlocker used - I nearly destroyed a KL1 opening it up in a long story involving strap wrenches, vise grip wrenches and hot blue gas flame from a cooking stove. The KL1 lived.....well, barely. It's still useable but I doubt this one will be going back into production any time soon. There's pretty severe damage left over from my vise grip wrench. Not an experience I'd like to repeat soon.

This would probably restrict my choices to custom E-series heads. Please feel free to recommend one - preferably one where I can open the bezel and change the LED. I may not need access to change the driver; 3.7V 1A should last for a few generations of LEDs.

I already have the E-series drop-ins, but I'm looking at a complete head assembly since finding a E1e/E2e bezel in HA-Nat is more painful than pulling teeth. I need something available in reasonable quantities at a reasonable price now. Not wiling to go over the top unless the head gives me capabilities that are over the top.

Finishes... well, HA-Nat is a necessity (to match my L4 body/tailcap), nickel plated would be awesome if available :D

Fire away! :)

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Have you looked at the Aleph heads? Take a look on the Sandwich Shoppe website. They allow a lot of flexibility; you can change the reflector, the LED, and the driver. The LED and driver mount on a removeable heatsink/light engine. However, I haven't tried them myself, so I can only say that they look good.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say you have the E-series drop-ins, do you mean you have the Kuku one? I have that one and it's one nice module! My only pick is that I wish it were a buck/boost driver. If you have that already, as Hack mentioned, something from the Sandwich Shoppe might suit you. Actually, if you're interested, I have a Sandwich Shoppe module with a Goldserve Piglet buck/boost driver with an SSC P4 (can be changed out) I'm thinking of getting rid of for cheap.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you looked at the Aleph heads? Take a look on the Sandwich Shoppe website. They allow a lot of flexibility; you can change the reflector, the LED, and the driver. The LED and driver mount on a removeable heatsink/light engine. However, I haven't tried them myself, so I can only say that they look good.

I might have to consider that.... at least they'll be field upgradeable in future :)

When you say you have the E-series drop-ins, do you mean you have the Kuku one? I have that one and it's one nice module! My only pick is that I wish it were a buck/boost driver. If you have that already, as Hack mentioned, something from the Sandwich Shoppe might suit you. Actually, if you're interested, I have a Sandwich Shoppe module with a Goldserve Piglet buck/boost driver with an SSC P4 (can be changed out) I'm thinking of getting rid of for cheap.

Yes, I have a couple of those. The modules are fantastic, a real work of craftsmanship, but the E-series reflectors are a bit too floody. That's not his fault of course, it's the bezel.

I'm looking for a whole new bezel assembly that can be opened to allow me to put whatever I like in it, ie. my pick of driver, LED and reflector :)

What's the interface like on the Piglet? I also have a keen dislike of any light that I can't automatically figure out the moment I pick up. I sold one light recently because of the amount of clicks it took to program it...... me stupid, me have too many lights to remember how to get to the levels on all of them, me like U2 coz turn ring, light become bright, light become dim :p

Oh, and what does that module fit in?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Piglet has 3 programmable "mode sets" I guess is the best way I can describe it right now. Each "mode set" has a series of modes. Once you set it, it stays in that mode set. I have mine set to H-L-Strobe and it remembers if I was in High or Low (it doesn't remember strobe). I think the other 2 mode sets are H-L in alternation and L-H in alternation. If you search Piglet, you'll get more detailed info on the UI. It's not difficult. The module fits the E2D head I have (which if I sold the module, I'd sell the head with it). That's only because of the SSC P4 LED being somewhat large. If you use a smaller LED, it will fit in a standard E-series head I believe.
Another idea is to get a E2C adapter (I have one...can't remember by whom...might be Leef or another customizer from back in the day) with a VG FB3 body running a C2 head. Great light and you can run standard P60 modules and the beam can be tight or floody (depending on the module you pick).