CR2 light revisited (long)

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
About 3 1/2 months ago I made a long post . Right away, I could see that the optical solution was less than optimum, so I made a new head for it and started EDCing it. When SF came out with their scalloped bezels, I scalloped mine. The results sucked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , and this is not a light you want to accidently leave on. My lanyard attach didn't permit standing it on its tail so I started thinking about possible alternatives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I made a couple of these:
site1046.JPG

The rings are a #9 Fine from Worth Co. Co. I had to buy 1K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif The ring is a friction fit in its recess, and the cross hole is bushed (replaceable) with 13ga thinwall stainless tubing. More on the gold plating later. Machining the recess was a PITA (That spacer must weigh over 200#!):
site1045.JPG

I then had a pair of identical lights to compare additional
"improvements." First, I found that I liked the beam on the HD much better with the optic spaced out abt .070 from the LS- the hot spot and corona got a lot "rounder" at the expense of less corona. Spill seemed unchanged. I made shims for the optics and started on 2 more lights which wouldn't need the shims. I didn't think to move the bezel O-ring groove forward, so I had to make a couple "longer"
bezels. (And a couple "longer" cases.)Next thing to happen was Wayne, dat2zip making some R2H HD Stars available- damn, I gotta do a DD! So I made a couple of those /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
At that point I had enough parts for a pocket full of lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and it was time for a trip to the plater. First I took the copper center sections in for electroless nickel and while I was there, talked them out of some of this . The EN came out nice- wish I had spent more time/attention to polishing the copper:
site1047.JPG

Oh yeah, the gold- bought a kit from Caswells which is intended to work over nickel. There's enough in the 18-8 split rings that they plated nicely too. Next came the anodizing. I made a "masking" rack to keep the anodize out of the IDs- had to single-point each of the spuds:
site1044.JPG

The lights are .715" dia at the fairly aggressive knurls, and 2.115" long. That's almost exactly a $4.00 roll of dimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
site1050.JPG

I rarely need that smudge tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
site1048.JPG

L to R: Bezel, .020" silicone rubber lens gasket, 16mm saphire lens, turned and shortened optic, center section (damnit- left out the O-rings), .200" module- ones a BB750, other MM. The modules have coin silver contacts cannabalized from some old KRP relays. Module retaining ring. For the bat case, silicone foam rubber anti-rattle
washer, the neg batt contact is a gold-plated button head from Texas Knifemakers Sup. .
Finally, the split ring and one of the bushings.
site1051.JPG

I ended up with 8 after giving away a couple at work. 3 are DD and the rest take .2" modules. If DavidW is up to it, I'll happily donate one for benefit auction /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I apologise for a couple links to old threads not working, and hope a mod can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Larry

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ummmmmm.....

PAYPAL SENT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif That dark green anodize is georgous.

paulr

Flashaholic
Very nice work as always. I love that recessed lanyard point. I wonder if something like it could end up in a next-generation Firefly.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful work. Very nice indeed. I like the recessed lanyard attachment. That's quite elegant.

Wilkey

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hot freaking dam! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

nothing could have prepared me for these final pics! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Tomas

Banned
I've liked that tail-end ring assembly, that provides a good attachment point AND allows the light to stand on it's tail, ever since I first saw it.

It's elegant enough to sell a batch of lights just on that feature. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's a rather amazing light, Larry! Odd as it may seem, I think it is maybe even too small(!) for me to EDC in my normal way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now if another batch of LL123's or FireFlys was made with just the addition of that new tailstock ... Yeah, I'd have to buy another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Keep up the 'playing with lights' because you are showing a lot of people what can be done with what is out there right now. You are making lights, fresh idea lights, not copies of anything else, that have slipped by the current manufacturers.

These are good lights, Larry. Better than a lot of lights commercial designers have come up with.

What's next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

T_sig6.gif

P.S. What's with the unmentioned one-off with the full-sized optics peeking in at the others, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Oh, that reminds me - neat anodizing jig - even IT is a work of art. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Those are some of the BEST looking lights I have ever seen.
Excellent design and finish.

I reall hope you end up having about ,, oh say 1,000 of these made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
dangit larry, i keep coming back to this page to look at the pics.

any chance i could trade a couple taps for one of these beauties? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
heck...do you have any "factory seconds"?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Thanks everybody,

Now to reveal they're all seconds! The work order at my anodizer said Type III, class 2, dark green. I am pretty sure I got Type II, class 2, and am really pissed! Dunking natural HA into the dark green dye tank should have resulted in a very dark OD HA, maybe approaching black. I'll spare everybody the full rant.

The form factor is right there with Arc's marvelous AAA, and accepting a "quick change" module is a big benefit. I have been carrying 2 for the last week. One is a DD with a very nice R2H from Wayne/dat2zip who I should have thanked above, because without his electronics, the lights wouldn't have been possible for me! The other is an absurd BB750/R2H which is limited to a 3 minute runs by my hand's pain tolerance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . The 850mA CR2 CR2 gives me two 3-minute burns followed by an hour of declining light. The DD one will run well over 30 hours! I am currently building some MadMax adjustable modules to go in a couple of gifts.

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
How bright is the DD with the R2H after it's been running for a few hours?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
from my own experience with dd lights, i'd venture to say it's "usable" to say the least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is some kind of beautiful work. I especially like the size -- just right. The lanyard ring is superb.

Paul

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Man Larry, your stuff is just so clean. How come you don't want to make runs? Uh, I could show ya how...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
I ended up with 8 after giving away a couple at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh....you guys hiring? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Jason

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
I ended up with 8 after giving away a couple at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh....you guys hiring? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

good question!

i have some machining experience, aren't tied down to living in any one place, need a job, and really dig these lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (vote for me!)

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, Larry...

Very nice.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy smokes. Pardon me, but um, this is enough to give a flash-a-holic a woodie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif (can't confirm or deny it includes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)