Suggestions for thin and sleek single AA lights please (picture inside)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Akoray K-106. I am looking for something similar with a wire deep clip and head-to-tail even roundness but slimmer and with some throw. I need something like:

1. Multi-mode clicky lights with quick memory.

2. Two mode twisty lights.

As pictured here, space is very limited. So the thinner, the better. This is for shirt pocket carry. Thanks.
IMG_5693.jpg

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam BK135a. 17 mm diameter, 90 mm length, 1xAA. IBS programmable UI, three modes, max 135 lumens output. Doesn't come with a clip, but can easily take a modded D10/EX10 clip.

emzimmerman

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for thin, have you thought about AAA lights? Lumapower Avenger GX and Liteflux's AAA light come to mind. Or even the new Tiablo.

Good luck in your search.

Eric

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
Actually the Fenix LD15 comes to mind or the ITP a2. The Fenix doesn't have a clip but I'm sure you could make one.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA lights can be nice and small, I wouldn't want to be in a serious situation and have to rely on one. Only reason I didn't buy a BK recently is they're not neutral/warm tint. Other than that I'd love to have one; with a clip, I think it would make a great backup to my SC50w+. I'd still get one of I already hadn't bought a new Quark, a head, a tail, a couple of bodies, and a handful of accessories for my Quarks in the past couple months... :D If they make a neutral one I'll be all over it. Right now though I'm waiting for a neutral SC60 and H51 as I need a new headlight something fierce...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Actually the Fenix LD15 comes to mind or the ITP a2. The Fenix doesn't have a clip but I'm sure you could make one.
In addition to these two I think the list for a thin, sleek light will end with the addition of the EZAA. Most of the other lights listed are peoples personal favorites, as opposed to meeting the thin and sleek qualification.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Preon 2 for shirt pocket carry, feel like a pen, but it's AAA.
If you like AA, take a look at the Mini 2AA.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The (old) EZAA was a great little light; I carried one on my keychain for almost a year. It certainly qualifies for small and sleek, and that's what I liked about it, it used an AA and is the size of a 1xAAA light. It's almost identical in size to the QMiniAA.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Preon 2 for shirt pocket carry, feel like a pen, but it's AAA.
If you like AA, take a look at the Mini 2AA.
The Preon 2 is available in cool, neutral and warm tints. The MiNi AA2 cool only. I think the MiNi AA2 with 2 AA batteries is too heavy for shirt pocket carry.
Preon top, MiNi AA2 middle, MiniMag AAA bottom
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

-----

The (old) EZAA was a great little light; I carried one on my keychain for almost a year. It certainly qualifies for small and sleek, and that's what I liked about it, it used an AA and is the size of a 1xAAA light. It's almost identical in size to the QMiniAA.
The older EZAA and EZAAw is 2 stage. The new ones are 1 level programmable. No clip.
Millermodded Arc AAA left, EZAA right.
Millermods-EasyAA-size.jpg

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgot to mention that a slow strobe would be nice. The lights recommended came pretty close. Light can't be longer than 4.5''. And ideal light would be the size as one of the pens.

A flat and deep clip is needed because the light is clipped to the inside of a little pocket like this.
IMG_5708.jpg

The clip has to be a deep type so the light is flush with whatever it is clipped to. And the whole setup go inside a shirt pocket like this.
IMG_5704.jpg

Stony

Newly Enlightened
The Preon2 is a great light, I also like my Fenix LD05 for shirt pockets. Both work extremely well.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Preon 2 (clicky) mentioned a couple of times is 5 inches long.

The Preon 1 (twisty) is 3.5 inches long.

I got a Preon 1 body for my Preon 2 (clicky) 4 inches long.

XP-G in an AAA body makes for a big hotspot which reduces throw.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for thin, have you thought about AAA lights? Lumapower Avenger GX and Liteflux's AAA light come to mind. Or even the new Tiablo.

Good luck in your search.

Eric

I already have a Maratac AAA. It's a backup light. The new single AAA lights don't offer any significant advantages over it. And I am sick and tired of twisting 5 times to go from the first mode to the last mode.

HIDblue

Enlightened
+1 on the Preon 2. Surprisingly bright for a 2xAAA using regular lithium AAA's, and quite versatile in that you can use the smaller Preon 1 body when you want a smaller 1xAAA form factor light with a clip.

Kindle

Enlightened
I already have a Maratac AAA. It's a backup light. The new single AAA lights don't offer any significant advantages over it. And I am sick and tired of twisting 5 times to go from the first mode to the last mode.

If cycling through a 5 mode twisty is your pet peeve then I'd argue pretty strongly to rethink the idea that 2 mode or programmable clickies that let you select the number of modes don't offer a significant advantage.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good recommendations!

If it wasn't for the runtime advantage of AA lights, I would seriously look at the AAA options. I still might, as there might be a need to reduce size and weight further.

I saw an Inova X1 at Fry's today. If I was buying solely for the slim and sleek factor, this light would be it. This has to be the most slim AA light I have seen. But of course, I am not going to buy it.

Another light I came across online is the Photon Proton Pro. It's just a hair longer, thicker and heavier than the Jetbeam light, but comes with a smart UI similar to the Zebralight UI. Anyone familiar with this light?

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good recommendations!

If it wasn't for the runtime advantage of AA lights, I would seriously look at the AAA options. I still might, as there might be a need to reduce size and weight further.

I saw an Inova X1 at Fry's today. If I was buying solely for the slim and sleek factor, this light would be it. This has to be the most slim AA light I have seen. But of course, I am not going to buy it.

Another light I came across online is the Photon Proton Pro. It's just a hair longer, thicker and heavier than the Jetbeam light, but comes with a smart UI similar to the Zebralight UI. Anyone familiar with this light?

If you think the Inova X1 fits the "slim and sleek" requirement, then you should probably SERIOUSLY consider the EZAA or Quark Mini AA, as already recommended. Both of them are BY FAR sleeker and slimmer than the X1 (...I wouldn't go as far as to say the X1 is "huge" by comparison, but it's pretty close to that!), plus they don't weigh NEARLY as much, and their output simply put blows the X1 away (...it's not even CLOSE!). Not to mention the fact that the X1 is "renowned" for pathetic run-time; it's driver is VERY inefficient. Just some food for thought...

PJD

Last edited: