I got my first awesome LED and a bit perplexed.

Solenopsis

Newly Enlightened
My lumapower signature VX came in the mail today, so naturally me and the kids went out for a walk tonight. I think I'm impressed, I don't have anything to compare it to, except for a LED MAGLite, but I don't think those are comparable.
This model you can change out heads one for flood and one for throw. I'm just not seeing the throw that I thought I would. I am though, using 2 cr123a's because my 18650's are on the way from China. Also I sort of based my purchase off some screen shots :eek:. They weren't shot at a ISO of 1600 for 1 min. or anything, so I thought they might be somewhat true to life.

Anyway, anybody else go through a slight case of buyer's remorse on their first light purchase. Like I said I don't have anything to compare this light to, so I think may be a awesome light, and that photos can be misleading. Also I think that it will be brighter when I get the 18650's.

I like the UI, I like the versatililty, and overall like the light. There is just that nagging thought whether or not I was duped by the photos, please tell me this is typical.

red02

Enlightened
Its possible that street lights and light polution were interfering with some of the light. However, its common for marketing photos to dial up the exposure time on the shots collecting light for a longer time than the eye can. Generally if it looks too good to be true it probably is. Look around for other lights using the same emitter and battery to get an idea of what to expect.

More realistic shots will be about 0-2s of exposure time. Thankfully most beamshot reviews regarding throw here will reveal the exposure time.

Another way around this is to find videos of the light your looking at. Failing that you can look at the measured lux of your light and compare it to the lux for the other light you're looking at.

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
I think it is fairly normal to be dissapointed in your first light. You build up in your mind these huge expectations that can be hard for a tiny led to live up to. Hopefully someone with that light will chime in
As far as batteries if your cr123's are 3.7 volts i do not think it will get any brighter.

Solenopsis

Newly Enlightened
It was not completely dark, now I go out and I can light up practically the whole yard. Yes they stamp the exposure time and all that on the photo. I guess I didn't think to much on the aperture size which was 2.8. The batteries are 3v. They are the only ones I could pick up at a chain drugstore that was close by. Thank you for your input.

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved a Lumapower Incendio V3, and it lights up half the room! No regrets here! Great light in a tiny package.

Solenopsis

Newly Enlightened
That's awesome. i think the light is solid. That would be another light I am looking to for the future. This is just great another another hobbie sucking at my teet!

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
Seems If you ordered some rechargable lithium batteries , they would be 3.7 volts and maybe a little more output. Tell me if i am wrong guys?

MikeAusC

Enlightened
Seems If you ordered some rechargable lithium batteries , they would be 3.7 volts and maybe a little more output. Tell me if i am wrong guys?

LiIon cells start discharging at 4.2 volts and end at 3.0 volts - the average discharge voltage is 3.6.

If the light is drawing heaps of current, the starting voltage will be less.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Both the old Mags and the LED ones have excellent throw. They were basically the same with the lumens being far higher on the LED version. I think somewhere here Big Chellis did the lux numbers with the lumapower signature VX and if I recall even with the turbo head it was only around 6-7,000 lux. (That translates into being able to light up a meter squared with 1 lumen of light from about 80 meters away).
Both the incandescent and LED mags are about 10,000 lux which is a further throw.

Off the top of my head comparing those 3 lights you've got:
40 lumens throwing a beam 100 meters
120 lumens throwing a beam 100 meters
350 lumens throwing a beam 80 meters

Outside (of course most light uses are outside) long throw is really impressive so I can understand you being underwhelmed with the lumapower.