Titanium LED Threading Durability

Dragunov65

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all fellow CPF member,

I am posting this query out of interest..I would love to know your well informed opinions/experiences on the topic.

I ponder how durable the titanium threads/threading is on a(type/grade 5) titanium light, as to what the lifespan of the threading would be?

I know Titanium is very hard wearing and durable and wears down tooling but can the actual titanium threading/threads of the light ever wear down?IF so ,what happens then? Is the titanium light rendered useless due to worn titanium threads?

Many thanks

:)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure you'll get some ridiculous paranoid responses, but considering that aluminum flashlights have indefinite lifespans on their threads, titanium would last even longer.

Properly lubricated the amount of wear is negligible and can be completely ignored.

That's assuming the threads are lubricated and cleaned periodically, as well as being machined properly in the beginning.

Dragunov65

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure you'll get some ridiculous paranoid responses, but considering that aluminum flashlights have indefinite lifespans on their threads, titanium would last even longer.

Properly lubricated the amount of wear is negligible and can be completely ignored.

That's assuming the threads are lubricated and cleaned periodically, as well as being machined properly in the beginning.

Thank you ..SO I basically don't have anything to worry about?. IF the threads are well lubricated to prevent galling my Titanium LED light threads should last a lifetime?

IF the Titanium threads are not lubricated I would still think the threading would NOT wear away as Titanium is exceptionally hard.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium is harder than aluminum, but is softer than even cheap kitchen knife blades. It also "galls" (sticks and cold welds to itself) easily, one of the worst structural metals on earth in this regard. Using the right lubrication is essential to guarantee long thread life or smooth operation with titanium. With flashlight threads there's not much stress so most lubricants will work well, I've heard Krytox is excellent on Ti threads, but it's expensive.