A digital camera forum?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to buy a digital camera soon, but I know nothing about them.
I wonder if anyone knows of a good forum where I can get advice on my purchase.
-----------------------------------------------

What the hey? I bet a few people around here know a bit about digital cameras, there are enough beamshots posted to prove it!

I looking for something:
1. Around $200
2. Preferably w/optical zoom, as well as digital
3. Uses inexpensive and fairly universal memory
4. Viewing screen on it
5. About 2 megapixel
6. USB interface

What do you guys think?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I can't remember them off the top of my head, but awhile back there was quite a bit of discussion right here on the CPF. Do a "camera" search here in the Cafe and see what comes up? Several great links were posted as well as info from our own members... Here's a couple to get you started:

Digital Photography Review

Steve's Digicams

LukeK

Enlightened
DCResource and Steve's Digital Cameras are my two favorite resources for researching these devices. Also just a tip -- you want as much optical zoom as you can get. Digital zoom is not zoom at all, it is rather digital resampling of the current picture. My experiences with digital zoom have not been great -- it tends to render pictures grainy and slightly pixelated.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humm-

Check out the Canon A60, around $230.

I've been looking at the A70 (3.2 megapixels). Target has them on sale for $300 with an extra 128 meg card free.

GregR

P.S. LukeK suggestion of "Steve's Digital Camera" site is good. I found that site about 2 months ago it is very helpful.

Brock

Flashaholic
I use a bunch but
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
seems to have the most up to date and the most info on the reviews.

I also have had 2 "picture of the day" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif One of them was #2 for the month, got some free batteries and charger and 6v 2.5a battery pack. But that was 3 or 4 years ago...