Choosing what to feed a new E2DL.. LiCo vs IMR vs LiFE

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just scored an E2DL from the marketplace :p

Now comes the question of what to feed it.... I know it doesn't run in full regulation on a single 17670 and would probably benefit best from a 2-cell configuration. Now comes the tough question of what to feed it.

I've been considering a switch to safer chemistry lithium cells, but with that comes a price in terms of capacity.

A few back of the envelope numbers for reference:
2 x primary 123: 6 watt hours (WH)
1 x 1600mAH 17670 = 5.92 WH

And my choices:
2 x 750mAH R123 = 5.55 WH
2 x 550mAH R123 IMR = 4.07 WH (27% less)
2 x LiFE 500mAH R123 = 3.2 WH

I'm probably not going to use LiFE because the energy density is just way too low, plus their 3.2V voltage means even less watt-hours.

As it is, going with IMR vs LiCo R123 already means a 27% hit in terms of juice. Worse if you compare to primaries: we're looking at 33%. So 2 hours is going to become 80 minutes on IMR. 80 min is still within acceptable runtime for me, not so long ago we used to be walking around with lights that would run flat in under an hour.

The IMRs have one advantage though: should an emergency happen and I need to run the light flat into the ground, I can do so on IMR because they have no protection circuit. Of course I'll never be able to charge them again - well, treat 'em as disposable cells. LiCo protected cells would cut off the circuit and douse the light.

Is the additional safety advantage worth it?

Last edited:

u238

Newly Enlightened
Why not just go with AW protected 16430s? They have a proven track record of performance and safety.

hoongern

Enlightened
Just so you're aware - many "750" mAh RCR123 cells aren't actually 750mAh - I can't remember the exact values, but almost all [properly sized] 16340 cells, I believe, are actually tested ~600mAh. On the other hand, the IMR/LiFePO4 cells have quite accurate specifications at 550&500mAh, I believe.

tygger

Enlightened
The best option is to go with IMR 18650. If you can get it bored of course. I hesitated going 18650 for a long time but its the best decision I ever made. Safer chemistry, one battery, great runtime/output.

scot

Newly Enlightened
Hey tygger, how you going to bore the body of an E2DL for an 18650?

yowzer

Enlightened
Isn't LiFE your only option? Last I heard, Surefire doesn't design their lights to work with the higher voltage li-ions...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure that if you throw 2 Li-ions in there you'll destroy the light.

The LifePo's are the only option.

The inability to use rechargeables is what keeps me away from Surefires. Well, I have an E2L.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, but some have succeeded in runtime tests with 2x3.7V li-ion. Full pack discharge too.

hmm......guess I will have to try and find out ;)