Tail-button click flashlight - not turning on right?

belomeclone

Enlightened
So I have a Tank007 on my keychain. When I click the tail cap, most of the time, nothing happens. If I twist it to unloosen it a bit (while the cap is depressed of course) it will turn on, but not always permanently, and not when I retwist it.

So what is going on, exactly? Why would it turn on when slightly loosened than fully tightened? Is it poorly built? Wear and tear? Normal, fixable issues for flashlights? Should I unscrew it and look for something? Or just buy a new one.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poorly built, probably. Most likely it needs a good cleaning and lube.

Also make sure whatever is keeping the switch secured inside the tailcap is tight.

Mr.Beam

Newly Enlightened
I had that problem with some of my cheaper lights, one leg of the switch isn't grounding properly.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Try cleaning the threads and contact points. Might be a bad connection somewhere.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Yeah I notice if I do get it to turn on it is very flickery and the brightness dims on and off before shutting off. Time to find a tutorial on cleaning flashlights and stuff. Is it the contacts instead of the tailcap, you think?

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Clean all contact surfaces! In the tailcap, the head, the threads, etc.

Have you tried fresh batteries as well?

belomeclone

Enlightened
Clean all contact surfaces! In the tailcap, the head, the threads, etc.

Have you tried fresh batteries as well?

Yeah I popped in a fresh one. I know I should be using Eneloops/Lithiums because their power doesn't die as the battery ages, but for right now I'm going to use these Alkaline ones I bought (at 1.5 volts)

A new battery did give it a huge boost to its brightness (which apparently won't last until I get a better quality battery) but it did not fix the problem, though initially it did look like it. How do you clean the contacts exactly :p I'm going to read up on it though. Do you think that the contact gets dirty in its fully-tightened location, and so when I unscrew it, it is hitting another spot and turning on briefly? That would make sense to me.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that makes sense to me.

For me alcohol wipes and an old toothbrush to scrub out the threads work for me. Dipping a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol also does the job. Just make sure you pop off the o-rings first.
When its all done and dried - use some good lubricant.

belomeclone

Enlightened
Yeah that makes sense to me.

For me alcohol wipes and an old toothbrush to scrub out the threads work for me. Dipping a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol also does the job. Just make sure you pop off the o-rings first.
When its all done and dried - use some good lubricant.

So I have to go to Radio Shack and buy some Deoxit, put that on the q-tip, and swab up inside it where the battery connects. Then I take off the O-Ring. Then I alcohol up and clean the threads (Do I also clean the body, or do I not want alcohol near the contacts). Then I lube up the O-ring (and the threads?) (Do I put the O-ring (it's very small) in a bag with some thermal grease?) THEN I put the O-ring back on and it should all work?

Is that the directions I should follow? Do I also have to lube the entire interior of the flashlight up? That's what I've got so far, any advice on fine-tuning it? And while I know enough that Deoxit is what to get (though not sure which of the two in the two-pack to use), any certain grease to get (Superlube?) or just get whatever?

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
For me - I normally just pop off the o-rings. Then using a toothbrush dipped in some rubbing alcohol I gently scrubbed the threads to remove the gunk. Then wipe off the excess with a rag.
I then dip a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and clean the battery contacts and the end of the threads.

When its all dried. I put a dab of lube under where the o-rings seat and spin it around to spread the lube out. Then a dab of lube on the outside of the o-ring and on the threads. Then I screw it back together two or three times to make sure the lube is worked in.

belomeclone

Enlightened
For me - I normally just pop off the o-rings. Then using a toothbrush dipped in some rubbing alcohol I gently scrubbed the threads to remove the gunk. Then wipe off the excess with a rag.
I then dip a q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and clean the battery contacts and the end of the threads.

When its all dried. I put a dab of lube under where the o-rings seat and spin it around to spread the lube out. Then a dab of lube on the outside of the o-ring and on the threads. Then I screw it back together two or three times to make sure the lube is worked in.

Off-topic: What does the lube do for the threads, exactly?

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Makes the threads much smoother and lessens the metal on metal contact. Which means a longer life for the light.

The lube also greatly enhances the waterproofing of the light - especially for the o-rings. Creates a better seal and protects the o-rings from drying up and scratching against metal.

belomeclone

Enlightened
I gotcha, thanks.

What about the Deoxit? I thought that alcohol was bad for the contacts? Or at least, not good?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you remove the tailcap , you can simulate the operation of the tailswitch by connecting the negative end of the battery to the torch body with a paperclip ... The light should work perfectly ... If it works OK then it is possibly a problem with the tailswitch or maybe dirty threads.

I use 'Servisol Super 10' as my contact cleaner ... We used it in the Electricity Supply Industry as a contact cleaner so I just use it on torches as well ... For cleaning , I use Isopropanol and cotton buds ... The grease that I use is 'Nextorch Silicone Grease' ... There are good threads on cleaning torches if you do a search.

belomeclone

Enlightened
I used two paperclips (at different times of course) and nothing got it to turn on without the tailcap. Is that definitely a contact problem?

Are those cleaners common?

Last edited: