SolarForce R5 drop-in was a hit!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I snagged one of the new SolarForce R5 p60 style drop ins off of Lighthound as soon as they became available. I've had a SureFire 6P for a while that I haven't really been using, so I put the R5 in that. My only complaint is that the outer spring on the module won't fit down all the way in the tapered throat of the 6P. The head only goes on just barely past the o-ring, I think. But that's okay, 'cause I don't plan on throwing it in a lake or anything. I tried it with the spring off, but that turned the 6P into a shake light. Shake it once and it turns on. Shake it again and it turns off. It just doesn't make good contact without the spring.

Anyway, I was very pleased to see that this drop in results in a nicely focused hotspot, ie the light appears to have good throw. I'd just about given up on the hope that any xp-g based light could throw well (without a huge reflector anyway) but the SolarForce module does pretty good! If other light manufacturers would get on the ball, we could in fact have 6P sized lights that do throw well (c'mon Fenix! Give us an xp-g specific reflector for the TK11/12 so they're not just floodlights! :poke: ).

So, now for the story about actual usage. I was over at my parents' house, and after dinner I was out in the driveway talking a bit and getting ready to leave. I had brought the 6P with me kind of as an afterthought, in addition to the 4(!) other lights I had on me. I've found that it fits well in the holster made for the Fenix TK10/11 series, so I put it in that and had brought it along.

Anyway, as we're talking my dad goes to throw out some trash; it's pretty dark down that part of the street, so I asked him if he wanted a light, turned on the 6P and handed it over. It was interesting seeing the light in action from a distance. At one point as he was switching hands he had the light pointed up into the leafy tree branches overhead, and even the bounce back off the leaves was enough to light the area around him. Even I was impressed by how friggin' bright the thing was out there. My dad liked it too! He asked me about it and we talked a bit about what it was and how it was powered. I think he's coming around; good thing I didn't mention how much it costs though! (actually the module itself is a terrific deal at about 25 bucks; it's the other components! $$$).

Earlier I was kinda chiding myself for adding the 6P to the ridiculous number of lights I was already carrying, but hey at least it got used!

shipwreck

Enlightened
I picked up a Solarforce L2P - it came in this past week. I am VERY impressed with the Solarforce L2P body, and especially with the R5 drop in it came with. Up to now, I had only used R2 drop ins from Solarforce.

I've ordered a 2nd drop in, and another complete L2P. I really like the flood/throw of this light.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping it really is that great. I just ordered from lighthound a solarforce L2 with an 18650 extension and the single mode R5 module. I'll be running 2x18650 for maximum light, runtime and complete regulation. I'm glad it'll be at least somewhat throwy.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was the beam ring free coz it's using a SMO reflector?

Gee, I didn't notice :whistle:

You probably want an opinion on that from someone other than me, 'cause I don't much care about beam "quality"... it has to be REALLY bad before I find it objectionable.

Quick tip though: I found that on my R2 solarforce module, turning the base further into or out of the reflector made a noticeable change. And sometimes it seems the base can become loose/unscrewed from the reflector. So you might mess around with threading the base in fully seated or to different depths, in order to fine-tune the beam.

I'll see if I can post up some beamshots and comparisons tomorrow, but I'm wore out now and going to bed. :tired:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only complaint is that the outer spring on the module won't fit down all the way in the tapered throat of the 6P. The head only goes on just barely past the o-ring, I think.
With Surefire P60 capable lights, you remove the outer spring, then the drop-in fits nicely in the "cup" and the head will screw on properly.

5Sport

Enlightened
Can you post a beam shot, and do you know what the run time is on that module?

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
I have 1 too mounted on my SF Z2. I mounted it on my Crosman 2100 for rat hunts. I am very satisfied but them rats sure are not hehe:naughty:..Yes the beam is ringless but the center is a bit yellowish. Ordered mine from a seller in Manila Phils.
100_2500-1.jpg

100_2543-1.jpg

Richardpics425.jpg

shipwreck

Enlightened
Was the beam ring free coz it's using a SMO reflector?

Mine is wring free - it stands out from the R2s in that erguard.

I finally see the donut hole people have commented on - concerning the smooth reflector and an R5. it's not really noticable up close but further away. It's no big deal IMHO. It's just a different shade in the hot spot - it's not like it's missing right in that area. I'll take the throw over the R2 for it.

I have a 2 lane-wide paved back alley behind house - it has wooden fences from people's back yards all along the alley. It's really cool to see this thing light up the alley from 1 side to the other, and all the way down the alleyway.

OCD

Enlightened
I see the R5 has a voltage range of 3v-18v. Does anyone know how well this drop in works with one 18650? I am going to be getting an L2P soon and will be using some unprotected laptop cells. I was wondering if the 3v cutoff would work for a pseudo-over discharge protection.

5Sport

Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shot, it looks like that light has some throw,,,correct?

Do you know the run time on 2 cr123 primaries?

TIA

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a single 18650 xp-g, I find it's performance to be similar to the xr-e, at 1 amp you get a good long time under full regulation, about 45 minutes or so and then it goes direct drive and the current slowly ramps down. Because of the increased efficiency at low currents the brightness doesn't seem go down all that visibly. When the cell is near drained you usually get significant dimming for the last half hour or so then flickering which is a perfect sign that you're dead. Generally you never end up tripping the cells protection circuit, unlike multicell lights where they'll go from full brightness to off. So single cell lights with rechargeables is a very popular way to go because of their inherent safety of not killing cells and convenience.

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
I see the R5 has a voltage range of 3v-18v. Does anyone know how well this drop in works with one 18650? I am going to be getting an L2P soon and will be using some unprotected laptop cells. I was wondering if the 3v cutoff would work for a pseudo-over discharge protection.

You can get an R5 with 3v to 18v but hard to find .... Most are rated 4.2V and under ..... They Run forever with a 18650

I would get an Alpha G8 or G10 bulb ..... They are Impressive !

shark_za

Enlightened
You can get an R5 with 3v to 18v but hard to find .... Most are rated 4.2V and under ..... They Run forever with a 18650

I would get an Alpha G8 or G10 bulb ..... They are Impressive !

This thread is about the Solarforce R5 being offered from HK.
They are not hard to find in the slightest so why try sell Alpha drop ins?

OCD

Enlightened
Thanks qwerty. I think I'm going to go with the R5 now (even though I was going to get a 3 mode R2) because of the 3V cutout for my unprotected 18650's and it will also allow me to run my AW RCR123's if I need to.

crossliner67

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shot, it looks like that light has some throw,,,correct?

Do you know the run time on 2 cr123 primaries?

TIA
It has a decent enough throw yes 5Sport but sorry as I have not tried primaries on it. I mean I did once using Sanyo cr1213as but they were not fresh cells anymore and they lasted for less than 30 minutes while I was aiding some mechanic. I would let it breathe for a minute or 2 then turn it on again.

mikedsokc

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell a brightness difference using a single 18650 vs using two 16340's?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I used the R5 and It's nice except the donut hole.... There is a new reflector that fits exactly over the LED eliminating the Donut hole ......

I just got a G10 from Alpha here in the USA ....... WOW ...... 10,000 Lux

Scroll down and Check out the Video:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-G10-Supra...Flashlights&hash=item439ed7d2be#ht_4688wt_935

The ad doesn't say what the LED is? I'm guessing a Q5 or R2?

My P91 Surefire incandescent bulb beats out most LED's in a C2 with 2 X IMR16340