Ptec Remix Pro efficiency of color leds

JohnW49

Newly Enlightened
G'day everyone. I've just registered on your excellent :thumbsup:forum.

Attempting to make up my mind on which Ptec Remix Pro to purchase ...white/white, white/green or white/red (Maxbright/Ultrabright combination).

The first concern is with the 3 Ultrabright green/red LEDs. Can they be expected to have the same range as the Ultrabright white LEDs?

If the claim for this unit is true, that 3 Ultrabright white LEDs shine up to 100 ft in high mode and 40 ft in low mode, can the same be expected when using the Remix Pro with green/red LED's?

Cheers,
John

d1337

Enlightened
The single LED is what PT refers to as a "Maxbright LED" the three smaller LEDs are called "Ultrabright" LEDs. Ultrbright LEDs are more commonly referred to as 5mm LEDs. They are often very efficient but use produce less light. In this case I think that they are intended for closer work and to provide a different color option. They also provide a wider light pattern while the Maxbright LED throws for twice the distance.

PS Great light option.

zapper

Enlightened
The green LED's (and Blue when available) are usually just as "powerful" as the white one's, but you won't see as much because objects reflect certain wavelengths of light and our eye's only detect what's reflected. Therefore, the "white" light is reflected by many things as opposed to only few objects reflecting the blue wavelengths. Low powered red light is used normally to avoid detection by animals and reduce flare that can be seen by others at night. Some use it to save their night vision but if it's too bright, any color will disable your night vision. A very low "white" light can also be used at night. Sorry for so long an explanation and maybe not technically 100% but close enough for everyday use. How far they "project" is also dependant on how dark it is where you're at and the material that is reflecting the light. Obviously a white wall in a basement with no windows will reflect much better than some bushes in a park in town.

So short answer, "No", you won't see as far with the colored lights. :laughing::crackup:

carrot

Flashaholic
I am told that green light will not spook the wildlife, as well.

And, red light may very well run for longer since the Vf for red LEDs is usually lower. But it will also be less bright, and less "useful" for seeing than white or green light.

darknessemitter

Enlightened
I am told that green light will not spook the wildlife, as well.

Green light will be visible to most animals; I think the misconception that green light won't spook game animals comes from a misunderstanding of how they percieve color and camo. They percieve most greens and longer wavelengths as the same as yellow, which is why blaze orange doesn't stand out as much to them as it does to us. However, if you shine a green led at them at night, they will see it as a BRIGHT yellow light in the darkness, so not so good.

Some game animals such as deer lack sensitivity to red, so red is thought to spook animals less in some cases. They might still be able to see it, but it will at least look much dimmer than green.

JohnW49

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I should have explained that the intended use is to aid travelling on foot through bush/forest. With that in mind, is the green foliage likely to reflect back more red or green light?

I assume that green foliage is likely to reflect white light better than green or red. Correct?

Also, what can be expected to penetrate rain/mist/fog better?

Cheers,
John

ECL

Newly Enlightened
With that in mind, is the green foliage likely to reflect back more red or green light?

I assume that green foliage is likely to reflect white light better than green or red. Correct?

Cheers,
John

No green foliage only reflect green light, (or the green component of white light).

As for rain/mist/fog, I would assume, since water absorb less blue, that a blue light will penetrate better. Smoke will be a complete different matter

darknessemitter

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I should have explained that the intended use is to aid travelling on foot through bush/forest. With that in mind, is the green foliage likely to reflect back more red or green light?

Cheers,
John

If nightvision preservation is no concern, then green would generally be better than red for walking in the forest, although red might reflect better on some types of soil and tree bark. But white would really be best, just because you'll be able to discern colors. Also, I've been told that modern white led phosphors are now more efficient than bare green or blue monocrhome leds.