I need a "Wall Of Light"!

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
hi,

i'm looking for a very high lumens (1000+ preferably) light.
things i'd like it to have:

-rugged construction, preferably not TOO long
-no built in rechargeables (the only thing i don't like about the Olight SR91)
-should also run on CR123As
-two modes at least (high and and a low mode with at least 10h runtime), though not too many (JB RRT-3)
-balance between throw and spill (i don't need a 1000 meter throw)

i've been looking at the Olights, which look great except they can't use CR123As, and that's a no go for me, because when i'm far from home, i might not have a power outlet to charge the light, so i need to feed it primaries.

a higher price is ok, as long as it's worth it of course.

now let me have it :twothumbs

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. You say a 'Wall of Light' but you have been looking at the Olight SR series which are throwers, not flooders.

1000+ lumens of flood may not appear to be as bright as 500 lumens of throw. You need to better define exactly what the light will be used for and what kind of runtimes you are expecting at that 1000+ lumen range.

If it were me, I would have my 'Wall of Light' light with it 's 1000+ lumens and then just a single CR123 for those long runtimes you're after.

Mac is building a 3,300 lumen triple, triple XP-G monster that will put out a LOT of flood. It has modes too so you're not going to use up all your power in such a short time if you don't want to.

There's also the Elektrolumens Firesword IV to consider, but one mode only. Wayne also makes 'Kong' but it's a huge beast and rather pricey.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
exactly, but Olight is ruled out for not accepting primaries anyway.

omg, the Kong truly is a monster! though 6 pounds, i'm gonna need a second backpack for it...

a throw of 200 to 300 metres would be enough, but i want really good flood.

primary use is camping and such, so it would be nice if it wasn't 2metres long.

a good, reliable brand would be nice, even though i really appreciate all the modders and custom makers here!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight m31 triton comes close to what I think you want.

Still, you won't get a "wall of light" to reach 200-300 meters. IMO 50-60 meters max maby. To actually see anything at 200-300 meters, you need a serious thrower. Asking for a wall of light that reaches 200-300 meters, is like asking for a tractor that can do 200 mph:tinfoil:

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
i've taken a closer look at the eagletac M3s, Sunwayman M60Rs and Wolfeyes EPEE.
runtime i definitely the best with the Eagletac, though i'm a little worried about it's durability due to its construction.

Olight SR50 sounds like a great option actually, but the warning not to use the HIGH mode for longer time is a definite no-go.

is the Eagletac rugged enough for harsh use? those tiny screws everywhere just aren't to my liking.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
another one to consider is the wolf eyes super storm 2.
1950 lumens, alot of flood but not much more throw than the olight m30 (mce, 700 lumens).
it doesnt take cr123's, only 18650's, but it is a wall of light.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Download's Pocket Rocket definitely puts out a wall of light in a very small package, and on only one 18650.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
another one to consider is the wolf eyes super storm 2.
1950 lumens, alot of flood but not much more throw than the olight m30 (mce, 700 lumens).
it doesnt take cr123's, only 18650's, but it is a wall of light.

Download's Pocket Rocket definitely puts out a wall of light in a very small package, and on only one 18650.

He doesn't want 18650 :wave:

jslappa

Enlightened
You'd do well to buy a bored C2 and triple XPG dropin from Oveready. Be sure to get F04 diffuser too. There is your wall of light, 18650 with the ability to run primary 123s.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the triple xp-g from oveready. Awsome wall of light. You do not need a diffusor on this light at all, and you should NOT run this on primary 123's. There are warnings against running this on 123's all over the webpage. Primary 123's will go :poof:. No where near 200m reach, more like 50-60 meters when no ambient light.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
the Super Storm 2 looks quite impressive, as well as its price tag.
so are these LRB-168 A Li-ion batteries that Wolf eyes uses rechargeables, or "normal" batteries? i'm not quite familiar with the terminology.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
the Super Storm 2 looks quite impressive, as well as its price tag.
so are these LRB-168 A Li-ion batteries that Wolf eyes uses rechargeables, or "normal" batteries? i'm not quite familiar with the terminology.

yep, theyre just normal 18650's as far as i can see.
the good part is that it comes with three 2600 mah batteries and the battery holder serves as a charger for them with the supplied wallplug, so you dont have to buy batteries and a charger which makes the price quite good.

i did a comparison review of the ss2 a few weeks ago with a few other lights which should be found with the search.
i was impressed with the high build quality, size, weight and feel of the light in the hand when i got it so i kept it even though i didnt really need it.

Last edited:

Jannis

Newly Enlightened
Hi, sunwayled or sunwayman m40c is a wall of light, not 1000 lumens, but is bright and compact with 600 lumens, can take 18650 and cr123.
I am realy pleased with mine.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found your solution!

You need two lights for what you're after, so I'm going to suggest the Thrunite Catapult as it is 1000 lumens, has the reach you want and can run on li-ion or CR123's.

The other light I'm going to suggest is the Quark 2xCR123 Tactical as it can use both rechargable and primary 123 size batteries (there's an 18650 body also available) and has a beautiful, smooth, floody beam for short to medium range uses.

Both of these lights with appropriate batteries and a charger will cost you less than one larger light that will not accomplish what you want.