Dereelight info

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching for more info on Dereelights. For me the Dereelight site is really not novice friendly. This morning I happened across this page on flashlight connections's site. It may be basic for some but I found it to be quite informative.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
yep, i have to agree the deree site isnt good and i ended up at that same site too.
i got the v3 in sst and mce versions a few months ago but wasnt really that impressed by the whole package (build quality, spill, huge mismatch in mid levels) for the price so sent them back

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Myself i would not be dealing with the link you posted.If they cannot be bothered to put pics up of all products they sell,they would not get one penny of my hard earned coinage.They display a very amateurish way of building a trusty company to deal with.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll vouch for Jay at flashlightconnection. He's a good guy and I've bought a couple of times from him with great experiences. He's also very helpful with questions. He's even helped out members on the forums who didn't buy from him and their lights were out of warranty. A great guy to deal with, regardless if he doesn't have pics of everything (I too wish he did, but don't regret buying from him).

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll vouch for Jay at flashlightconnection. He's a good guy and I've bought a couple of times from him with great experiences. He's also very helpful with questions. He's even helped out members on the forums who didn't buy from him and their lights were out of warranty. A great guy to deal with, regardless if he doesn't have pics of everything (I too wish he did, but don't regret buying from him).

I agree with everything said. Good place to buy. I will buy there again.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Where in Northern CA is flashlight connection?
I live in that region and (if possible) would like to get a firsthand look at his inventory.
I mean, how cool would it be to look at all these lines in the same place!?

VB-16 Flashlights
Dereelight Flashlights
EagleTac Flashlights
4Sevens Flashlights
Fenix Flashlights
Malkoff Devices
NiteCore Flashlights
Olight Flashlights
ThruNite Flashlights
Tiablo Flashlights
ZebraLight Headlamps

Edit:
Nevermind. I just found 'em.
Orangevale, California 95662

Last edited:

OneBigDay

Enlightened
I'm with jsr & tre. FC is bookmarked as my Dereelight go-to guys. As previously mentioned you can actually get a personal response to questions if you have them. Jay has in the past answered some technical spec questions for me that weren't readily available on the web.

A cutting edge web presence doesn't necessarily correlate to anything in particular (i.e. good products or bad products). I'd rather buy from someone who at least makes a real attempt at customer service, which FC has done in my case. :thumbsup:

Matt7337

Enlightened
yep, i have to agree the deree site isnt good and i ended up at that same site too.
i got the v3 in sst and mce versions a few months ago but wasnt really that impressed by the whole package (build quality, spill, huge mismatch in mid levels) for the price so sent them back

I have to agree with you on this - I got a V3 earlier this year as well and compared to my V1, the only thing that was improved was the size and the quality of the anodizing... everything else was worse. I was tempted to send it back but I still have it. It's a 3SD XPG, but the beam pattern is HORRIBLE. I've never seen so many rings and artefacts in a flashlight beam. I actually might try and shift it on the MP near Christmas time and get a better thrower in the new year.

I was extremely disappointed with the V3, as I had been advised it was a fantastic light. Sure, it throws a beam just fine, but the build quality is not good at all IMO.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Jay and the Flashlight Connection have done right by me for the past two years now. Every Dereelight I've gotten from him (which includes all but my CL1H) have been top notch but for one problem, which was remediated much quicker than other vendors I won't name. They were my first real lights here and remain, to this day, my most used and dependable lights save for my McGizmos. Dereelights are simple, no more than 4 speeds (most are only 3) and no disco modes. The clip can't be beat either (except, again for McGizmo's clip). There's lots of love for this brand on here, especially because the pills are P60 compatible and even the reflectors are interchangable! Don't go trying to fit pill and reflector drop-ins like Malkoffs M60/61 line into the DBS line. That won't work. But there are plenty of other manufacturers who make pills that do fit the Dereelight reflectors.

Henry of HDS lights doesn't post pictures of every single product he sells, yet I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone on this board who questions the quality of those lights, unless that someone knows not of which he speaks. :laughing:

MK9

Newly Enlightened
My intention was not to create a love/hate post.

It was to simply post an informative link that may or may not help others understand a little more about this product line. And to bring attention to the vendor that has (IMO) clarified a few questions.
Which I find helpful.
Now, if I can get FC to return my email to let me know if I can visit their showroom, I'll be set for a road trip.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
My intention was not to create a love/hate post.

It was to simply post an informative link that may or may not help others understand a little more about this product line. And to bring attention to the vendor that has (IMO) clarified a few questions.
Which I find helpful.
Now, if I can get FC to return my email to let me know if I can visit their showroom, I'll be set for a road trip.

You have not created a love/hate post,i made a comment,members say the guy is crusty so i could now buy in confidence,so you probably have done him and other members a favor.:D

qazx

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with you on this - I got a V3 earlier this year as well and compared to my V1, the only thing that was improved was the size and the quality of the anodizing... everything else was worse. I was tempted to send it back but I still have it. It's a 3SD XPG, but the beam pattern is HORRIBLE. I've never seen so many rings and artefacts in a flashlight beam. I actually might try and shift it on the MP near Christmas time and get a better thrower in the new year.

I was extremely disappointed with the V3, as I had been advised it was a fantastic light. Sure, it throws a beam just fine, but the build quality is not good at all IMO.

sounds like theyve actually got worse then, i have no regrets about sending both of mine back. for a £100 light for the sst-50 v3, it really should be better than it is.

i was amazed that the mid level of the sst-50 v3 sm was only about 100 lumens when it should have been about 350 (50% max) which the mce version was.
maybe their quality control isnt too good as someone should have checked and spotted that and your beam problems before it was sold.

Pliauga

Newly Enlightened
Not trying to derail or anything, but when I got confused by all the terms on flashlights I ended up In CPF :whistle:

Now I'm reading through posts with chronic addiction :grin2: and I found the answers to most of my technical questions.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I just got a pleasant email from Jay. No store front yet but he's working on it. I hope soon. i'd like to take another road trip on the motorcycle. :naughty:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Jay and the Flashlight Connection have done right by me for the past two years now. Every Dereelight I've gotten from him (which includes all but my CL1H) have been top notch but for one problem, which was remediated much quicker than other vendors I won't name. They were my first real lights here and remain, to this day, my most used and dependable lights save for my McGizmos. Dereelights are simple, no more than 4 speeds (most are only 3) and no disco modes. The clip can't be beat either (except, again for McGizmo's clip). There's lots of love for this brand on here, especially because the pills are P60 compatible and even the reflectors are interchangable! Don't go trying to fit pill and reflector drop-ins like Malkoffs M60/61 line into the DBS line. That won't work. But there are plenty of other manufacturers who make pills that do fit the Dereelight reflectors.

Henry of HDS lights doesn't post pictures of every single product he sells, yet I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone on this board who questions the quality of those lights, unless that someone knows not of which he speaks. :laughing:

I couldn't agree more. Fast customer service. No problem with exchanges. Jay will even pick out an individual pill if you have a tint in mind that you must have. I hope Jay doesn't get mad at me for telling people that. Must be a lot of work testing out a bunch of pills to find one to my color specs.

I love the 3SD-R5 and the 1S-R5 and they don't turn yellow as fast as some of my other R5's. The best R5 reflectors I've seen in the D26 size. I've been watching the Yard Sale for Dereelight stuff.

I've totally given up hope of a storefront flashlight store where I live in the Northeastern USA. Too bad.

Fird

Enlightened
As for the lights themselves, I own a CL1H V4, a DBS V3, and a C2H. These versions of the CL1H and the DBS suffer from the same problem, they both have an extra joint between the body tube and the head of the light, there used to be a twist switch in there for low/high operation. Now the fact that aluminum oxidizes is causing contact issues between the body tube, head and the pill. My expensive lights don't always make light when the button is pushed :(. The C2H does not suffer from this problem.

Just threw a nailbender SST-50 in my CL1H light with the copper tape strip between the pill and the head, that seems to have no contact issues for now and comes on every time. The whole body of the light heats up when its in operation, indicating good heatsinking.

The C2H has been nothing but reliable, I bought a nice warm tint with the 4 speed module, and gave it to my dad for EDC use. I was so thrilled, he's a non-flashaholic but found the light useful enough to keep on him.

My brother uses the DBS for airsoft, several hundred feet of spot light combined with a sniper rifle = very fun.. except its been the least reliable of our lights.

Finally, I LOVE the XR-E Q4 5B tint in the 3SD module. I got one of the newer pills that has approximately a 38khz pwm frequency (FINALLY SOMEONE DID IT RIGHT!). Dereelight has older SD pills that refreshed at ~90 hz which flickered badly, and a few at 2-3khz which whined. I did request that they increase the pwm frequency out of the audible range, and they incorporated that in their next batch of pills.

Dealt with Dereelight directly or bought from the marketplace for these purchases, had good success each time.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Dealt with Dereelight directly or bought from the marketplace for these purchases, had good success each time

That makes me feel better. Dealing with a company out of Country has risks poor customer service with NO recourse. I took a leap of faith. I only hope it's not off a bridge. :faint:

Matt7337

Enlightened
Well my history with Dereelight has been as follows (short and sweet, don't worry!):

I bought a 3SD Natural coloured DBS V1 off the MP around 2 years ago (it seems like no time at all) and loved it. The only things I would have said needed improving on that light were the quality of the anodising and the driver circuitry, which didn't quite flicker, but was obviously using a very low frequency PWM circuit which allowed the beam to be broken up on the lower two modes when you moved it fast. It wasn't a big issue as I use that light on high most of the time anyway. I would also have like a pocket or belt clip or a better lanyard loop.

The V3 was bought earlier this year. Things I noted on this the first few nights I took it out were:

The beam is horrible - never seen more rings and artefacts in a beam... ever.

The tail clip is poorly implemented - the mounting mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. I think the body of my light may actually be defective. I took the clip off and it's been off ever since.

The quality of the lens/window is terrible - the reflective coating on the glass is really uneven and it got scratched when I wiped it with a clean, soft microfiber cloth. I was disgusted with this to be honest.

The anodising is much better though - nice quality to it this time and good even coverage.

The overall shape, size and weight of the light are improved also.

Just my $0.02. I was very disappointed when I eventually pulled the trigger and bought the V3. It just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I expected a £100+ flashlight to have perfect build quality and design. I definately expected it to have a decent beam pattern but that is just not the case. :(

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well my history with Dereelight has been as follows (short and sweet, don;t worry!):

I bought a 3SD Natural coloured DBS V1 off the MP around 2 years ago (it seems like no time at all) and loved it. The only things I would have said needed improving on that light were the quality of the anodising and the driver circuitry, which didn't quite flicker, but was obviously using a very low frequency PWM circuit which allowed the beam to be broken up on the lower two modes when you moved it fast. It wasn't a big issue as I use that light on high most of the time anyway. I would also have like a pocket or belt clip or a better lanyard loop.

The V3 was bought earlier this year. Things I noted on this the first few nights I took it out were:

The beam is horrible - never seen more rings and artefacts in a beam... ever.

The tail clip is poorly implemented - the mounting mechanism leaves a lot to be desired. I think the body of my light may actually be defective. I took the clip off and it's been off ever since.

The quality of the lens/window is terrible - the reflective coating on the glass is really uneven and it got scratched when I wiped it with a clean, soft microfiber cloth. I was disgusted with this to be honest.

The anodising is much better though - nice quality to it this time and good even coverage.

The overall shape, size and weight of the light are improved also.

Just my $0.02. I was very disappointed when I eventually pulled the trigger and bought the V3. It just wasn't what I was expecting at all. I expected a £100+ flashlight to have perfect build quality and design. I definately expected it to have a decent beam pattern but that is just not the case. :(

Why did you not send it back? I would have? My recent dereelight purchases have been flawless.

No real need for two posts about the same thing:grin2:

Matt7337

Enlightened
I didn't send it back because I needed the light and the things that I found wrong with it were not great enough to warrant me going without it for long. Now that I don't use it as much I may do, although at this point as I've already said, I may be limited to just selling it on in the MP before Christmas.

I just posted twice about it to include mroe info, s'all :)