Quark Tac 123^2 Question

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Hi Chaps/Chapesses

I'm thinking of buying a Tac Quark 123^2, with the intention of running a 17670 li-ion. Obviously, this would provide 3.7V to the light, whereas 2x123's provide 6V. Can anyone give me any practical experience of how these two configurations compare on runtime, and in particular, throw?

Further, are either of these configs much different to the AA^2 in this regard?

Thanks

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 123-2 with either 2xcr123 or 1x 17670 will be brighter than the AA2. the circuitry in the head is different.

"throw" will be exactly the same with either battery configuration. if you want better throw, the XP-E R2 or Q3 models has better throw. but the spill is less bright, compared to the XP-G models. I was surprised at the throw of my Q123-2 R5. a big hot spot that still reached out well.

the runtime will be similiar, 2xcr123 will have slightly longer runtime. the difference is the way it declines. I ran my quark 123-2T on 2x RCR123 li-on, and got about 1 hour runtime. afterwards used a 17670 for better runtimes.

theres a graph in these thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/273764 that could help.

also check out self-built's quark review.

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
Thanks that helps. I have the single AA R5, I was amazed by the beam for close/medium work compared to the R2, but I have other R2's that appear to throw further. I was going to use the AA for close and backup and the 2AA for throw searches, but 4Sevens don't supply the R2 versions anymore it would appear. Looks like I'm sticking to my dereelight R2 for now.
Thanks again.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
dereelight javelin ive read is probably the best thrower in terms of 2x AA lights. eagletac, and jetbeam has some throwy 2x AA lights. fenix just came out with some new 2xAA offerings.

or you can always just purchase the R2 head, which i think are still available. the AA, AA-2, 123 heads are the same. only the 123-2 head is different. buy the body, and a tailcap.
I used my Q 123-2 Tactical with a regular tailcap. just so I can tailstand it. "lego" is a very nice option with the quarks:thumbsup: