Help me fix a Fenix Stainless Steel LD01!

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I have a >1 year old Stainless Steel LD01 that worked fine (although it did need to be tightened ALL the way to turn on), and then suddenly stopped. I also have an aluminum L0D. Here is what I know:

1. If I put the SS head on the aluminum L0D body, the light turns on
  2. If I put the L0D head on the SS body, the light turns on
  3. If I put the SS head on the SS body, the light does not turn on, but it does start to get HOT!
  4. I have pulled the spring out and stretched it
  5. I have cleaned the bottom of the tube, the top of the spring, the top of the tube, the contacts in the head with rubbing alcohol
Does anybody have any other suggestions what I can try to repair it? I don't have anything fancy like Deoxit or Krytox, so if I can get away with something simple for now without having to hunt them down it would be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
sounds like you have a short to ground, look very carefully for metal shavings in the SS head and threads.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
I don't see any shavings around there. I trying blowing them out with compressed air but that didn't help.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Here are two threads that talk about where, specifically, the person looked for and found metal shavings:

"iTP A3 EOS/ Maratac AAA problem - One Man's Fix"
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/295785

"Maratec AAA won't turn off
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286774

Another possible solution -- lightly sanding the open end of the tube:

"ITP A1 small problem"
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/261998

"Maratec AAA won't turn off
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/286774

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
While I was reading the main lubricant thread (link), there were several that gave me the impression as being regarded by the members as affordable, high quality, and appropriate for flashlight lubrication.

Danco silicone waterproof faucet grease [Model # 88693 ; Home Depot Store SKU 126723; maybe Ace Hardware -- the small container @ Ace Hardware was Danco brand; but I don't know if it was "silicone waterproof faucet grease"]

Mobile One [red] Automotive grease [sold @ auto parts stores; this was HIGHLY recommended; but apparently it isn't sold in anything other than a jumbo container; also, it initially has a smell that will eventually fade away]

Super Lube Synthetic Grease (21030); Item no: 8138307 [I ordered it through a local Ace Hardware for ~ $ 5.00; supposedly the Abu Garcia reel grease sold @ Bass Pro stores is actually SuperLube grease; and someone said that he buys Super Lube oil in the gun section at Cabela's]

Also, according to this post (link), at Wal-Mart there is a fishing reel oil and grease combination packaged by Jadico/Laker called "Laker Reel Grease" that is actually manufactured by Super Lube.

Update: It appears that Ace Hardware's website is now only selling this:

Super Lube Sportsman Kit (11520) Item no: 8138299
Kit contains .25 fl oz. oil, 1/2 oz. grease, 3 swabs & applicator cloth

But if you stop at a local Ace Hardware and give them the earlier identifying numbers for just the tube of grease, then maybe that Ace Hardware store can order just the tube of grease instead of this "Sportsman Kit"

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't see any shavings around there. I trying blowing them out with compressed air but that didn't help.

for it to short out it just about has to be something there. try taking a soft pink pencil eraser and rubbing it all around the foils on the ciruit board especially around where there is a connection between the inner and outer ring and then blast it with air. Rub it also across the green areas you shouldn't have to rub hard to knock it loose if it is there unseen.

MatNeh

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for the references, I will try your suggestions and hopefully come back with success!