Windows 7 users

Hacken

Enlightened
for those of you that have windows 7 on personal laptops. how many gigs of rams you guys running? 2,3,4,5?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Gb on my laptop, 4GB on my desktop, with both running windows 7.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
2Gb on this dual-core 11.6" ultralight. As I'm typing this, I have the usual ridiculous number of programs open; four browser tabs open in Firefox, a media player open in Explorer, two instances of Microsoft Word, a My Computer window, and a Windows Media Player movie open. No issues, as always. If there's a limit to how much I can run/have open, I haven't found it yet.

My system tray is always as empty as I can get it though, the Windows Action Center and Security Essentials are the only two programs there.

Hacken

Enlightened
2Gb on this dual-core 11.6" ultralight. As I'm typing this, I have the usual ridiculous number of programs open; four browser tabs open in Firefox, a media player open in Explorer, two instances of Microsoft Word, a My Computer window, and a Windows Media Player movie open. No issues, as always. If there's a limit to how much I can run/have open, I haven't found it yet.

My system tray is always as empty as I can get it though, the Windows Action Center and Security Essentials are the only two programs there.

11.6? let me guess..HP pavilion dmz1? but i am guessing 4 would be enough for daily usage.... i am looking at the HP dmz1 on HP website...

AMD Athlon(TM) II Neo K125 (1.7GHz, 1M L2 cache) + ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4225 Graphics

AMD Athlon(TM) II Neo Dual-Core K325 (1.3GHz, 2M L2 cache)+ ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4225 Graphics

AMD Turion(TM) II Neo Dual-Core K625 (1.5GHz, 2M L2 cache)+ ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4225 Graphics

it would be real nice if they have the dual-core on 1.7ghz instead of 1.5. would you even notice a difference by just that much of a difference in GHZ? anyways..i hope windows 7 won't be a let down for me.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
11.6? let me guess..HP pavilion dmz1?

Nope, the now-discontinued Acer Aspire 1410, Intel 1.2 GHz. I have to say the 11.6" size is dead on perfect for me, you can carry it with a textbook or two, no carrying case required, but it doesn't look as dinky as some of the true netbooks.

The size of the L2 cache makes a bigger difference than small differences in the clock speed, so your first choice would be notably slower than the latter two (even with single-core processes), and the latter two would be virtually identical speed-wise.

And if you've never used 7 before, you're going to be very happy; believe everyone when they say it's the best Windows ever by a sound margin. In the past when I got a new copy of Windows, there was always the matter of paring it down and simplifying over a course of hours it so it would run better - Win 7 is race-ready out of the box, just remove the crapware HP includes, and you'll have a PC that's already optimized.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm running a Japanese version of Windows 7 Ultimate on my 12.1" Fujitsu Loox R/D70 1.6ghz Core2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 500gb HDD notebook - largest screen available on this size computer is very welcome for the extra real estate.

I just installed the 500gb the other day because the stock 120gb was full - now I've got some breathing space, although it's odd noticing the sound of the hard drive after having been on a solid state drive for the last year.

What StarHalos said, it's true - first time I've upgraded Windows systems and actually felt that there was a huge improvement, all the way from start up/shut down, to automatic recovery, instead of freezing up.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently running windows 7 on a laptop with 6GB of ram; though I do have to comment -- I used to have a vista box and it gave me absolutely no trouble.. :thinking:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now on my laptop I am running word, firefox, and rhapsody (a music programfor those who don't know), and I am using 1.97 Gb. While gaming on the laptop it regularly uses more than that, but never more than 4, so it never uses the page file. However, I wouldn't want less than 4GB nowadays.

Hacken

Enlightened
i would think 4gig is enough. hopefully...i am just planning on just running home edition version.

Nope, the now-discontinued Acer Aspire 1410, Intel 1.2 GHz. I have to say the 11.6" size is dead on perfect for me, you can carry it with a textbook or two, no carrying case required, but it doesn't look as dinky as some of the true netbooks.

that's what i need. a notebook with a perfect screen size. i saw the 11.6 and knew i just had to get one. before i had the Dell mini 9 and the screen was way way too small. i ended up giving it to my 7yr old daugther and i spent around 800 on it when it first came out too. when i think about it..it was a waste especially the SSD which didn't perform to my expectation..

Hacken

Enlightened
4 GB on my HP ProBook 4320s :) Fits pretty good for me, i have many programs on my computer running 24/7 :thumbsup:

24/7? i almost dont even want to leave my computer on past 3hrs without using it unless i get lazy turning it back on.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
32-bit or 64-bit? 32-bit only maps out something like 3GB and the rest is wasted. 64-bit can handle considerably more than that.

I have W7Ultimate 64-bit on a desktop running with 2GB of RAM and it chugs along just fine. It could use more but it works for what I need it for. One of these days I'll upgrade it to 8GB when I convert it into the HTPC that I originally built it for.

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
24/7? i almost dont even want to leave my computer on past 3hrs without using it unless i get lazy turning it back on.

No problems, it still runs like it was bought yesterday! The battery is practical too, while running my heavy programs i get over 8 hours without a charge :twothumbs

alemex

Newly Enlightened
2Gos and I don't need more.
Actually I have firefox with a dozen tabs, foxit reader (lighter than acrobat for pdf), and foobar (music player) open. Plus Apache/php and 2 databases (mssql & postgres) in background. I'm actually using 800Mo.
You can safely disable some services to save some memory.
I advice you this site : http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm
I also have an SSD, which speed things a lot. Between more than 2Go Ram and an SSD, I would go for the SSD. That's not the same price though !

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 GB and all is well so far, but like StarHalo I have as little as possible on it as well.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
32-bit or 64-bit? 32-bit only maps out something like 3GB and the rest is wasted. 64-bit can handle considerably more than that.

I have W7Ultimate 64-bit on a desktop running with 2GB of RAM and it chugs along just fine. It could use more but it works for what I need it for. One of these days I'll upgrade it to 8GB when I convert it into the HTPC that I originally built it for.

32-bit windows can only recognise up to 4gb of ram minus whatever graphics memory you have. so 32bit windows with a 1gb graphics card could only use 3gb of the ram.

64-bit windows can utilise much much more ram, 128gig+.

Hacken

Enlightened
32-bit windows can only recognise up to 4gb of ram minus whatever graphics memory you have. so 32bit windows with a 1gb graphics card could only use 3gb of the ram.

64-bit windows can utilise much much more ram, 128gig+.

for windows 7. both are 64-bit just that they have the professional edition and home edition but still 64

ASheep

Enlightened
Haha I think i win this thread, I'm running Win7 Business edition on an ASUS eeepc 901, with 1GB of RAM.
The whole install in shoe-horned onto the primary 4GB SSD... It works well, I run chrome for interwebs, foobar for musics, and old games like baldur's gate 2, Diablo 2, Starcraft, Warcraft 3... It plays HD videos too, good for train trips!
(My primary laptop is a macbook pro 4,1 with 4GB ram, 2.6GHz core2duo, running OSX)

Cheers,
Alex