EDC Opinions & Recommendations Requested!

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi All,

I've decided to finally consider purchasing a small EDC light with the following requirements as minimal and would like to solicit your opinions and recommendations, based on your actual experiences.

Requirements include:
1) Under $70.00USD,
2) Uses a single CR123,
3) Prefer it to be in the 3"-4" length range, (4" has to be my max)
4) Can be XPG-R5, XRE-R2, XRE-Q4 or Q5 with OP or LOP reflector,
5) Must have last mode memory,
6) Multi-mode including strobe, (SOS & beacon are welcome),
7) 150+ lumens on high and 10 lumen on low or less,
8) Momentary-on forward clicky,
9) Would like it to be easy to handle, so near 1" diameter or more is preferred,
10) UI is of least importance.

My current candidates in order of preference, (price before CPF discounts)
1) 4Sevens Quark 123 (non-tactical version), ($58)
2) Nitecore Extreme, ($70)
3) Olight T10, ($50)

I know most will want me to consider HDS, and maybe one day I'll be willing to spend that much for an EDC, but for now!

Please stick to my criteria by providing me your suggestion and why you like it. Thank you!

John

JCDLE

Newly Enlightened
I only have a few lights and am new to this place, but I will say that I love my Quark 123 tactical. The knurling is not too aggressive, the light is extremely bright on high and extremely dim on moon phase, and it is very thin and light. The tactical UI is simple to master and I like the momentary on feature. Since you have a Quark 123 on your list already, I say go for it. I doubt you will be disappointed.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark 123 regular (non-tactical) does not have a forward clickie or last mode memory. However, it is a nice light. I really like mine but wish I had the neutral version as opposed to cool. 4sevens does not sell a neutral version so I think the only way to get one is to buy a Quark 2xAA neutral and a 123 body. Then you would have to put the Neutral 2xAA head and tailcap on the 123 body.

Anyway, that light was my EDC until I got the Zebralight SC50. The SC50 is not as bright as the quark but I really like it and have found using eneloops preferable to buying more cr123a primaries. I only wish I had the SC50w. At this point, I'm holding out for the SC51w. Also, check out the SC60 (again, I would wait for the SC60w). It is 4" long but uses an 18650. It is a VERY floody beam though. The Quark will throw much farther (not that the quark has lots of throw). I like the floody beam for indoors.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I only have a few lights and am new to this place, but I will say that I love my Quark 123 tactical. The knurling is not too aggressive, the light is extremely bright on high and extremely dim on moon phase, and it is very thin and light. The tactical UI is simple to master and I like the momentary on feature. Since you have a Quark 123 on your list already, I say go for it. I doubt you will be disappointed.

The Quark 123 would be an excellent choice.

The Quark 123 regular (non-tactical) does not have a forward clickie or last mode memory. However, it is a nice light. I really like mine but wish I had the neutral version as opposed to cool. 4sevens does not sell a neutral version so I think the only way to get one is to buy a Quark 2xAA neutral and a 123 body. Then you would have to put the Neutral 2xAA head and tailcap on the 123 body.

Anyway, that light was my EDC until I got the Zebralight SC50. The SC50 is not as bright as the quark but I really like it and have found using eneloops preferable to buying more cr123a primaries. I only wish I had the SC50w. At this point, I'm holding out for the SC51w. Also, check out the SC60 (again, I would wait for the SC60w). It is 4" long but uses an 18650. It is a VERY floody beam though. The Quark will throw much farther (not that the quark has lots of throw). I like the floody beam for indoors.

HI tre,

It's been awhile, how are you! Thanks for the reminder on the non-tactical not being a forward clicky. I can look past that because I prefer the UI on the non-tactical (despite what I said in my criteria).

The ZL SC60 will probably be my second EDC, despite it not fitting much of my other criteria, it has the one feature I wish all my lights had, and that's a side switch.

Thanks to you, JCDLE and the.Mtn,Man for your quick responses!

John

p.s. tre, I went to send you a PM about your Quark, but your not set to receive them!

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM problem fixed. I have no idea how that happened but my PM settings were all screwed up.

Flaptipulon

Newly Enlightened
I have a quark 123 tactical and the nitecore extreme r2. They're both great choices. Both are very bright on high and can be very dim on the low settings, especially the quark (super dim low mode). The quark is just a bit smaller/lighter and it's cheaper too. Based on your criteria, the quark would seem the best choice. I love both. I preferred the UI on the tactical quark but I'm sure the regular version is just as good overall. My only (very minor) complaint about the quark is that I wish the clip could be switched to bezel down. (The clip on the nitecore is bezel down only, but thats how I prefer it) Anyway I would think it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I have a quark 123 tactical and the nitecore extreme r2. They're both great choices. Both are very bright on high and can be very dim on the low settings, especially the quark (super dim low mode). The quark is just a bit smaller/lighter and it's cheaper too. Based on your criteria, the quark would seem the best choice. I love both. I preferred the UI on the tactical quark but I'm sure the regular version is just as good overall. My only (very minor) complaint about the quark is that I wish the clip could be switched to bezel down. (The clip on the nitecore is bezel down only, but thats how I prefer it) Anyway I would think it would be hard to go wrong with either one.

Thanks for the feedback and based on your comments, I may just have to get both, pending other suggestions, although I like the greater beefiness of the Extreme. So that I could possibly afford both, I placed ads in the MarketPlace for both, except for the Quark being the non-tactical.

Curiously, with your Extreme R2, what's the beam like, (i.e., balanced flood & throw or is one more dominant, serious R2 rings or not, full hotspot w/ nice spill, etc.)? Thanks!

John

Flaptipulon

Newly Enlightened
I like the greater beefiness of the Extreme
I totally agree with you there. If I could combine the extreme's build with the quark tactical's UI I'd all over that. I like the nice crenelation on the extreme's bezel as well over the quark's flat top.

I may just have to get both
This is the all too common "best" solution. I have the same problem :)

Curiously, with your Extreme R2, what's the beam like, (i.e., balanced flood & throw or is one more dominant, serious R2 rings or not, full hotspot w/ nice spill, etc.)? Thanks!
I'm not nearly as critical with this stuff as some people. From what I remember the extreme has a respectable throw, nice hotspot with plenty of spill too. Maybe somewhat balanced as you put it. The extreme's been spending some shelf time since I stripped out one of the threaded holes in the body trying to tighten the clip :ohgeez:(which is why ever since the quark has been my edc lol). I've been playing with so many different lights lately it's hard to keep em all straight, but I can try to give it a closer look when I get home from work to provide a more in depth description if I have time.

Joe

JDest

Newly Enlightened
This is easy. ITP SC1 Eluma. Meets every one of your requirements and retails for less than every light suggested. Programmable with an R2 with llots of throw yet plenty of spill. See Selfbuilt's reviews for reference. It's basically the closest thing I've seen to a true all-in-one for a reasonable price. And as is my usual complaint, it doesn't receive nearly the love it deserves.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam pattern of the eluma is almost exactly like that of the SC50w+ that I have, except the hotspot on the w+ is a little larger with more diffuse edges. I love the tint and the performance. I run it on an L91 or a nimh so I get the strobe on high, which is nice for walking at night, and the regular high of 107 is more than enough for the small day to day tasks I use my light for. If I need more light, it's because I'm doing something I don't normally do, and that's why I keep a 2xAA light in my cycling bag as well. :)

My SC50w+ is a great light, I really only carry it anymore, whereas before I used to key carry an EZAAw and a Quark AA.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I'm not nearly as critical with this stuff as some people. From what I remember the extreme has a respectable throw, nice hotspot with plenty of spill too. Maybe somewhat balanced as you put it. The extreme's been spending some shelf time since I stripped out one of the threaded holes in the body trying to tighten the clip :ohgeez:(which is why ever since the quark has been my edc lol). I've been playing with so many different lights lately it's hard to keep em all straight, but I can try to give it a closer look when I get home from work to provide a more in depth description if I have time.

Joe

Joe,

No need to check any further, for an EDC, what I wanted was a balanced beam, so the Extreme should be a fine choice. Thanks!

John

jcalvert

Enlightened
This is easy. ITP SC1 Eluma. Meets every one of your requirements and retails for less than every light suggested. Programmable with an R2 with llots of throw yet plenty of spill. See Selfbuilt's reviews for reference. It's basically the closest thing I've seen to a true all-in-one for a reasonable price. And as is my usual complaint, it doesn't receive nearly the love it deserves.

JDest,

Your right, that is easy. Every aspect of this light is appealing. Although one of my two current, favorite, general purpose lights is an Olight M20S, I didn't think to look at Olight's other company. I went to selfbuilt's comparison thread and was sold. The clincher is the side switch on the head. I want my wife, kids and friends to be able to use some of my lights without complicated verbal instruction and this series fits the bill in the same manner as my M20S. Also, since it's, as selfbuilt describes, a "budget" light, I don't fear losing it like I would with the $100+ EDCs.

Consider the SC1 ordered as of tomorrow and at $36 after discount, I can still afford either the Nitecore Extreme and/or the Quark 123.

So thanks to you for the recommendation and to B0wz3r for concurring!

In fact thanks to all who responded. I think I have enough to get started in the EDC arena, but will undoutedly be looking further with time!

Here's a group hug for the help. :grouphug:

John