What options are there in the "TK40 style" of torches??

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Here is what I mean by options:
- Accepts AA batteries (maybe less than 8:p )
- Multimode
- Regulated output
- Price of ~$125
- Nice throw/flood combo.

Im sure you guys know of alternatives. I know of the tk45 but its throw is not that good.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the TK40/TK45 are sitting somewhat in a league of their own right now. There just aren't a lot of lights powered by AA's that can put out that many lumens.

I have an LD40 on the way, which for 4xAA looks to be a good neutral-tint thrower. I picked up it primarily for the 3 hour runtime on Turbo, but it puts out a decent amount of light too. Might be something to look into as a general-purpose outdoor light.

Short of that, you're looking at taking the plunge into CR123's or lithium rechargeables and making yourself a light with a host and a drop-in.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman M40A
ITP A6 pole star
Felix LD40

You are correct, the tk45 has no where near as much throw as a tk40.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Sunwayman/Sunwayled M40A.

wowwww....

I checked all the reviews on the SUNWAYLED M40A and im impressed. How would you guys rate this torch over the tk40 or tk45? In terms of spill/throw? Quality? or other rating factors?

Im particularly appreciating the 4xAA battery config. 8xAAs is a bit overstretching it :p
Need your inputs though :)

joe1512

Enlightened
Have you ever held a TK40/45 or itp Polestar?

My polestar is actually a heck of a lot smaller than I expected it to be. Its the same length as any 2xAA light and fits nicely in ones hand. A 2xAA light is pretty skinny, but a 6xAA polestar is really a nice width. The TK40 will be a bit fatter but not THAT much fatter.
I prefer the 6xAA form factor over that of the longer and skinnier 2x18650 lights.

Rechargable NiMHs are significantly lighter than Alkalines too so I didn't think the light was particularly heavy. Not unreasonably so anyways.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
hah...just checked the itp polestar....Nice 700 lumens for $80! Great price too...
Dont see if it has regulated output though. How does it fare in terms of throw/spill to tk40/45 and sunwayman m40a?