Fenix E01: budget value LED light at $10

goldenlight

Enlightened
Like many people on CPF, I own an Arc AAA.

It has always annoyed me that over the years, the only 'improvement' has really been price increases.

Oh, I know they are using 'somewhat' brighter LEDs now, but they get the same 5 hours of runtime from an alkaline AAA.

Alkaline AAA's are really cheap, but I kept expecting to see an announcement that the emitter has been given a boost and/or the runtime is now WAY better than it was in 2001.

Nope.

And, they cost $40 to $50.

I see that the Fenix E01 claims double the same output, but double the runtime.

Well, having the Arc-AAA, I couldn't really justify buying a Fenix, since I know the build quality won't be as good.

Until I was on Ebay, and saw I could buy one for $10, delivered, from a seller in the USA with a very good feedback record.

Wow

So, I ordered one.

Odds are, it will wind up going into a Christmas stocking, but I'll get to check it out next to my old Arc AAA, and see how the Fenix compares.

I'll probably do a run time side by side, just to see for myself how long both lights run on an alkaline AAA.

Just like most people in the USA, I really don't like seeing so many products that used to be made in the USA now being made in China.

Walmart is China's FIFTH largest trading partner. China is going to have the largest economy in the world, in a few years: they just passed Japan.

But, I have to admit: I would never, EVER buy another new Arc-AAA, due to it's high price.

Same with SureFire lights: I just can't justify buying a light from SureFire for $150 that has TWO levels, when I can buy a very high quality Chinese light for 1/3 the price with either MANY levels, or infinite levels....cough... NiteCore....cough....

I'm very curious to see what my $10 will get me from Fenix

scout24

Flashaholic
$10.00 well spent. You will get a bombproof, reliable, long-running light that gets great reviews, has been torture tested, etc. Search bar up top, you could spend hours reading the threads about this little light. #12 IIRC on the "Flashaholic's must-have list" in general flashlight discussion. Look at some of the lights listed lower... Worst-case scenario, they are $12.50 new...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think everyone should own a baby Fenix just because it has so many benefits to have one around some place.I cannot wait to have a bash with the EO5 when they arrive in the UK,few more days then I will own one.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
LOL, post #1 almost looks like SureFire / Fenix / U.S. / China mfg. baiting near the end of it, I'm tempted to banish this thread to the /Budget lights/ subforum as punishment - we are only talking about $10 here ... :devil:

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
recently discontinued they will start to be more desired.

while bigger (and slightly brighter) than an Arc, they are an excellent keychain/back-up/survival-kit/gift 'light.

goldenlight

Enlightened
LOL, post #1 almost looks like SureFire / Fenix / U.S. / China mfg. baiting near the end of it, I'm tempted to banish this thread to the /Budget lights/ subforum as punishment - we are only talking about $10 here ... :devil:

I'm sorry about the China dialog....I got pretty much off track when I put that in. It was what followed from comparing the price of the Fenix to an Arc-AAA.

I'd REALLY RATHER buy USA made lights, I just can't afford them!

I got really off the real subject, with the China vs USA, and I apologize for that.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't justify buying a light from SureFire for $150 that has TWO levels, when I can buy a very high quality Chinese light for 1/3 the price with either MANY levels, or infinite levels....cough... NiteCore....cough....

Them's fighting words! :twak:

For your $10 you can expect a light with a better finish, construction design & reliability than 99% of clearance priced lights sold locally (0.1% for bargains & unknown finds) thus $10 well spent (but headed into the economy of another country) :thumbsup:

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
Come on now...the money comes back!

They use it to buy real estate and buildings and such...what fools!

It's not like they can ship those buildings and land back to China, is it?

:dedhorse:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

WHAT! When? Have you got a link? I'm about to go into panic mode.. Going to have to raid the SR90 fund and buy up big if that's true

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great light. We have 3 of them and they are rock solid.

If they really have been discontinued, I may need to pick up a few more.

nbp

Flashaholic

while bigger (and slightly brighter) than an Arc, they are an excellent keychain/back-up/survival-kit/gift 'light.

WHAT! When? Have you got a link? I'm about to go into panic mode.. Going to have to raid the SR90 fund and buy up big if that's true

Great light. We have 3 of them and they are rock solid.

If they really have been discontinued, I may need to pick up a few more.

Agreed. Can this be confirmed? If so, I'd like to get two or three extras. My orange one has been on my keys for a looong time, used and abused, and it lights up every time. I can't imagine my keyring without one.

goldenlight

Enlightened

I have a hard time believing this: the E01 HAS to be one of their best sellers.

Certainly not the most profitable, but they make it up in volume of sales....

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Fenix.

I can be a pretty tough critic, having been spoiled by a dozen of the SF's, but the Fenix is pretty impressive. I love my TK40, LD20 and L0D CE. Wondering if I should add one of the new XPG LD10s.

Nitecore has had a clicky fail on me (failure to latch on).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Fenix.

I can be a pretty tough critic, having been spoiled by a dozen of the SF's, but the Fenix is pretty impressive.

I agree with this completely. I have been very impressed with all the Fenix lights I have handled and owned.

.... Wondering if I should add one of the new XPG LD10s.

I have been contemplating the same thing. Such a great value, and a lot of light form just 1AA