Single AA EDC that fits AW14500?

medicsix

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading alot of selfbuilts reviews comparing many AA lights.
While he mentions that some of them use AW14500s, he doesn't always say so specifically.
Manufactures often do not state that their AA light will accept 14500s, but then some reviews and some CPf folks note that they do use 14500s in these lights.

I have also seen it noted that AW14500s, (protected), tend to be a little longer than others. I measured mine and they are 14.30mm X 51.30mm (2.0200in X .5630in).

I also noted that nitecore actually states that some of their lights will accept 14500s as long as they don't exceed 50mm. My EZaa doesn't have a low with the AWs.

Can some of you folks tell me which lights will accept the protected AWs and thread fully closed and function correctly in your experience.

I am particulary interested in neutral tint LEDs.

Thank you all for your help.

medicsix

yowzer

Enlightened
I've used them in a number of lights: Nitecore D10, Jetbeam RRT-0, Zebralight SC50, Quark AA... the last three have stock NW versions available.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA, quark MiNi AA (not too long on max with a 14500), nitecore D10 or D11.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
4Sevens Quark Mini AA
(careful not to use the high level more than momentarily, as the emitter glue isn't rated for the heat that can build up with the 14500).

Several old cutdown-to-1xAA M@gs with various Sandwich Shoppe dropins

medicsix

Newly Enlightened
yowzer,
Does your Nitecore D10 thread fully closed with AW? It's interesting to me that I saw a note on Nitecores D10 specifications that you could use AAs of any chemistry as long as they don't exceed 50mm. All the primary AAs that I have measure ~50.20mm.....?
(A Zebralight SC50w is on my list.)

wyager,
Same question about the D10.

wyager and hank,
I am interested in the Quark mini AA as well because it ia available in a neutral. Thanks for the note about the heat at high output. I only use max output for brief periods anyway so that would work. Do you think that the heat and glue are why 4sevens doesn't spec the lights for 14500s?

flint&steel,
Thanks for the reply, I am very interested in the Jet Beam Pro V3.0 in the Q3 because it is a thrower. I probably should have said at the outset that I am actually looking for both a small AA for a pocket sheath and a larger head for backup, (thrower).

Thanks all for the help....You can read all the reviews, but nobody knows better than the people with "hands on". lovecpf

medicsix

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, the D10 is pretty flexible with batteries. The D11 is less flexible, but for both of those lights, if the battery is too long you can always just sand the piston a bit and clip the spring a little. 4Sevens doesn't say that you can use 14500 because of the smaller heatsink and possibility of overheating the LED.

yowzer

Enlightened
yowzer,
Does your Nitecore D10 thread fully closed with AW? It's interesting to me that I saw a note on Nitecores D10 specifications that you could use AAs of any chemistry as long as they don't exceed 50mm. All the primary AAs that I have measure ~50.20mm.....?
(A Zebralight SC50w is on my list.)

Yes, it tightens all the way with an AW protected 14500. Note that this is one of the D10-R2s, later versions (SP and Tribute) have some design changes in the piston. Not sure if that included changing the length or fiddling with the spring.

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight C2H takes protected 14500s no problem. My favorite EDC for that reason.

OCD

Enlightened
Jetbeam RRT-0. With the extender it will take a regular AA, so I would assume it would take a 14500 also. Remove the extender and you can also use a CR123 or RCR123.

cistallus

Enlightened
The iTP A2 EOS works fine for me with protected or unprotected 14500.
The Zebralight H501w works fine on unprotected 14500, but the protected ones I have are a bit too long for it.

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
My Ti Volere AA takes it without a hitch (gets hot on high rather quickly, though). One light that I definately do not recommend using AW`s black 14500 is the NiteCore EZ AA - you have to twist too hard to get into the high mode (on the other hand AW´s IMR 14500 doesn´t work either - twisting the light all the way down and the light will just turn on in low, forget the high mode).

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've been running an AW14500 in my Jetbeam BK135A without any problems. The 14500 makes it considerably brighter and all of the output levels still work like a charm.

The Lumapower Trust 1 is also advertised as being specifically designed for the best output on a 14500, so you may want to check that one out as well.