Penlight melts, burns finger :(

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone ever had a light short circuit and get hot? I had bought 3 penlights from the honk kong seller on eBay who sells the fusion 36 maglite dropin. 2 of the penlights worked perfectly; the third had trouble with the battery installation. Upon installing the batteries, before I knew it (I was holding it while watching TV) I felt a lot of heat on my finger on my left hand and dropped the penlight; I'm talking enough heat to burn. The plastic casing around the top of the penlight's clicker had melted.

Just me or are there any other people out there who experienced this?

This was a led penlight with a nichia led.

:duh2:

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
The one I got free with the purchase of two Fusion 36's is working fine without any heat issues. Agree that it sounds like a short of some sort.

Acid87

Enlightened
Sounds like you had a lucky escape. Ive had a battery vent in my eye with the same fault heating up although from an mp3 player. Streamlight stylus pro is an amazing penlight if your looking for a nice quality replacement.

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
Energizer AAAx2

Actually a 2nd of the 3 had the same issue. After playing with it I noticed it beginning to get warm...I took it apart and threw it in the trash...:fail:

Hope the 3rd one lasts, they are the brightest penlights I've seen with excellent run time.

nbp

Flashaholic
I had a light short and the battery got very hot. Fortunately got it out before anything bad happened. :eek:

And thanks for the funniest thread title I've seen in awhile. For some reason it made me laugh. :grin2: