Which retail store to buy MagLite accessories?

avusblue

Enlightened
Hi gang, I want to buy Mini MagLite mounting brackets and perhaps browse other accessories for MM's. I am thinking that the mounting brackets would also be suitable for the L4 (comments?). I'd also like to browse other MagLite accessories such as pocket clips, the rubber hex bezel cap, etc.

I would like to find some at a retail store tomorrow, to avoid waiting and paying for shipping. Here are the choices:

Galyans (10 min. drive)
REI (25 min. drive)
Cabela's (1.25 hour drive)

Please offer your opinions as to which store you recommend I go to first, to find what I'm looking for. I already tried Home Depot, Target, and Wal-Mart, none had anything to speak of.

Thanks!

Dave

pahl

Enlightened
Cabela's = Surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not even sure if Cabela's has maglites. The couple times I have been there this year I headed back to the counter upstairs on the back wall were they keep the Surefire's.

Our local hardware store has lots of Mag stuff. Have you tried the hardware stores in your area?

avusblue

Enlightened
Mom & Pop hardware store is a great idea, I'll try my neighborhood shop first.

Further question: Will the MiniMag wall mounting brackets work well with an L4? I know the diameter's a hair bigger. I want to mount an Opalec MM and an L4 under the dash of my car.

Thanks,

Dave

chumley

Enlightened
Of the store's you listed, I think that
galyan's might have the brackets. I don't think I've seen any of those at REI. I think that Cabela's has Mags, or else knock-offs that look like Mags, but have Cabela's printed on the light. I don't remember what accesories they carried. Also, I think Gander Mountain might be worth checking.

avusblue

Enlightened
Chumley, thanks for the suggestions from another Twin Cities resident. Another place sprung to mind: what do you think my chances would be at Mills Fleet Farm? There's one in Oakdale that's not too terribly far from me.

I'm just trying not to spend Labor Day on too much of a wild goose chase. . . I'd prefer to find what I need at the first store I go to.

Thanks and best regards,

Dave

chumley

Enlightened
Dave, I think Fleet Farm is a good idea. Maybe you should try calling a few stores first. Usually the employees don't really know very much, but maybe you'll get lucky and somebody will be able to tell you if they carry what your looking for.

Good luck, Mike.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
avusblue,
Gander Mountain has Mags, but I don't remember seeing any accssories. Please let us know how you make out.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave,
If you go for one of the NiteIze magnetic MM holders, check it first on your light. The one I have is WAY too tight to be of any use.

avusblue

Enlightened
Well, what I didn't want to happen did. Here's where I went today:

Local Ace Hardware: they were closed till 10am
Visited at my parents house for a while.
Went back to local Ace Hardware: Nothing
Menards (on the way to Fleet Farm): Nada
Fleet Farm: they had brackets for D-size Mags and they had AA "accessory kits", but that's it.
Galyans: Now they have a decent flashlight assortment, with the full range of Princeton Tec, CMG, Streamlight, and others. But their Mag accessories were -- zip.
Home Depot (in the same mall as Galyans so I figured what the heck): squat.

So, I will bite the bullet and order from Flashlight King. Probably what I should have done in the first place instead of wasting 2 hours schlepping around. At least it's a nice day out!

Dave

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the action-lights tip. I wasn't looking for anything specific, but it looks like there's an ORANGE mini-mag limited edition that I just have to get. And, while I'm paying shipping for that, pick up a dark green one since no retail stores seem to carry that.