total newbie needs all sorts of advice

LDB

Newly Enlightened
I've got a few Surefire lights from a prior life (10-14 years old) when they were available at wholesale through a supplier. I'm interested in a (very) few more lights that are current generation with perhaps better features. I'm looking for suggestions for not the most expensive flashlights available and where to get them. Identifying which are made in U.S.A. and which elsewhere would be great as well. Thanks for any and all input.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Weeelll.. Frankly. Out of your Surefire collection there's probably at least a handful that could easily be modified. If you ask me that's way more fun than a new light. :D

Pretty much everything that's made in the USA and has cutting-edge features and LED emitters is going to cost you quite a bit. Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, Peak are amongst the American cutting-edge manufacturers. Most others are made overseas. There's Maglite, Streamlight and such but they're usually not all that cutting-edge.

What Surefires do you have? If you'd be interested in giving them a new LED life just list them and people can advise you on drop-ins and other items for them.:tinfoil:

LDB

Newly Enlightened
I have an L1 that is my EDC, an E1 that stays on a bookcase and a couple of Nitrolon G2 plus a 9AN in need of a battery and charger. I'm interested in something with more range and options than my L1 for an EDC light.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I'm interested in something with more range and options than my L1 for an EDC light.

The HDS Clicky has a very wide range - from 0.07 lumens to 170 lumen in 23 logarythmic steps. It has 4 programmable presets and is the best EDC light imho. Another option is the Malkoff MD2 which has a high of 260 lumen with a throw of 350feet, and low around 40-50 lumens. And it is easily upgradeable by changing drop ins. It also is compatible with a wide range of battery types. Both are made in US and have a reputation for reliabilty and durability.

Good luck with your search.

LDB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the input and look forward to more.

Latest posts