Which is more comfortable in pockets, Q mini AA vs 123

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of picking up a mini for edc and backup use. If you have both, I would love to hear your inputs regarding both formats.

I don't have a battery preference as I will be using rechargeables. Looking forward to the direct drive! :devil:

So the AA is 1/2" longer but roughy 1/5" narrower than the 123 version. Which one is more comfortable to carry?

So fat/short vs slim/long. Lol

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
Slim & long but prefer the output of the short & stubby.
exactly my thoughts :laughing:

or you can have the best of both worlds and go for the mini cr2:slim,short and with great output...

...but no rechargeables,i´m afraid

91FromStars

Newly Enlightened
In my case, it depends on what pocket I carry it in. The Qmini 123 comes with me when I am wearing jeans. On my right side just above the opening for the right pocket is a smaller pocket. The Qmini AA is too long to fit fully. The Qmini 123 fits just fine. If I am wearing tennis shorts, I find that the Qmini 123 causes my pocket bulge a little too much or something like that. I didn't get much insight to why it bothered me because I tried the Qmini AA and l liked much more.

Stumanbmx

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't tell you from experience but I'd be willing to bet that the AA light will be more comfortable in most situations.

yard candle

Newly Enlightened
To All;
I just settled on the iTP A1 EOS led with the C123 battery size so I'm committed. I just had to have that 190 lumens if but for short sqirts of it from that little key chain light. Now I'm really stressing over what charger and battery for that little thing or just settling on a plain old Lithium C123.
Any budget chargers and stuff out there or should I just stay Lithium for a while? Thanks for opinions in advance. Ends up costing about $27 including shipping from Amazon so I guess you can see I'm on a budget.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
don´t use rechargeable lithums on both lights myself.used to,but lights got pretty hot in no time on high.
got eneloops for my mini aa,and using cr123 3v on my mini cr123.
there is just not enough space to dissipate the heat,so i prefer less lumens and don´t blow up the light/my hand.

yard candle said:
To All;
I just settled on the iTP A1 EOS led with the C123 battery size so I'm committed. I just had to have that 190 lumens if but for short sqirts of it from that little key chain light. Now I'm really stressing over what charger and battery for that little thing or just settling on a plain old Lithium C123.
Any budget chargers and stuff out there or should I just stay Lithium for a while? Thanks for opinions in advance. Ends up costing about $27 including shipping from Amazon so I guess you can see I'm on a budget.

the itp a1 and the mini 123 are mostly the same light,you can even change the heads and both will work.
about rechargeable litiums,take a look at the flashlight electronics section of the forum.you´ll get lots of answers for your questions

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Last edited:

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I use a small carabiner hooked to a belt loop with my mini 123 so it hangs in the upper portion of my pocket.

The light itself is fully concealed, and I've never been able to feel it.

I think the same would be the case for the AA mini (I've carried pocket knives about that size in the past this way).

Secure, unobtrusive, instant access, doesn't get scratched against keys, change, or whatever else might be in my pocket.

I can also (and very often do) use the light without unhooking it at all (no chance of dropping it). I can even just leave it hanging there while turned on too - kind of annoying in terms of lighting, but it's got me by a few times when I had to carry something in the dark.

To me there's just no better way to EDC.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I have both and prefer the AA Mini. To me it feels better in the hand and somewhat in the pocket. The biggest difference to me is it's better ergonomics. I'm running an AW 14500 in mine also.

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
I have both and prefer the AA Mini. To me it feels better in the hand and somewhat in the pocket. The biggest difference to me is it's better ergonomics. I'm running an AW 14500 in mine also.

+1

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a case of locking the barn after the horse has taken off. I attached the lanyard to my CR2 mini replacement after losing my 1st one possibly at the state fair. It was small enough to not miss it in my pocket till it was too late.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are running on rechargeables, Li-Ion I presume, then the output wouldn't be much of a difference. I have both AA and CR123 versions and I prefer the AA. Sits better in the pocket with less bulge and is easier to operate one handed since it is longer. Operating the shorter MiNi 123 one handed could get quite straining on the nerves around my knuckles as my fingers are long and I can't get much of a gripping surface on the light.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
over the last twenty five years i took this route:

AA>123>Cr2>Li-Ions>AA>AAA

my current EDC-in-pocket 'light is a 1xAAA ReVO SS Neutral. now anything bigger is just to big for pocket carry.