Outperform a E1B Backup?

Tilted Brim

Newly Enlightened
What are some lights in the size of a E1B Backup that may outperform it. I'm really impressed with the throw and brightness of such a small package. Is there anything out there that compares or is this light in a class of its on?

Acid87

Enlightened
Nitecore SR3 is a nice single cell CR123 light. Also has the selector ring which is amazing. Although im pretty sure everyone will start piping up with the Ra Lights of all sizes.

Although I do own the E1B and still find I would grab that over the SR3 its more of a shelf queen.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pair your E1B up with an HDS Clicky and you will be very happy. You can thank me after you pick one up.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Pair your E1B up with an HDS Clicky and you will be very happy. You can thank me after you pick one up.

+1.

The HDS Clicky is superior in ever conceivable respect to the E1B in my opinion. I have both - the HDS 170T mops the floor with the E1B, and the E1B is a seriously great light. The HDS Clicky is just that much better.

entoptics

Enlightened
Depends on what "performance" you are talking about.

In terms of "versatility features" like multiple modes, tail standing, and battery selection, the E1B is pretty weak. Also, in terms of shear lumens and lumens/watt, there's tons of lights that stomp the E1B. Such as...

Quark AA or 123
Fenix LD10 R4, PD10 R4
JetBeam Jet-I Pro, RRT-0
NiteCore D10/11, EX10

...and pretty much any other single cell AA or CR123 with an XRE or XPG emitter.

E1B has an optic though, so it's beam is very different from the lights above and a direct comparison is therefore difficult. The E1B is also very expensive, but build quality and warranty are supposedly reflected in the price.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E1B. But I love my HDS clicky more! It is a much better light than E1B in many ways. You won't miss anything by not buying an E1B.

carrot

Flashaholic
What are some lights in the size of a E1B Backup that may outperform it. I'm really impressed with the throw and brightness of such a small package. Is there anything out there that compares or is this light in a class of its on?
In a word, no, not really. The E1B is unique in that it combines a very efficient TIR with a reasonably high output and excellent runtime in a very compact package.

There are a lot of other GREAT lights out there (that are all worth getting), but not much will outperform the E1B for the size. The HDS is more versatile with its programmability and modes, the Quark MiNi is smaller with higher output (especially on RCR123), and so on and on but actually out-throwing the E1B is hard.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
I love my E1B. The optic makes a very unique beam shape. But that said, HDS Clicky 170 is what's in my pocket nowadays, over the E1B.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight PT 1L is a light that outperforms the E1B, at 1/3 the price.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=200

How and in what ways does it outperform the E1B? Have you personally compared it to the E1B? Or are you comparing based on specs alone? I am not familiar with this particular model from Streamlight and I am curious. Honestly, I have all the reasons to be curious since most of the Streamlight products that I have come across and tried seems very disappointing and also overhyped in the lumens factor so please enlighten us.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
How and in what ways does it outperform the E1B? Have you personally compared it to the E1B? Or are you comparing based on specs alone? I am not familiar with this particular model from Streamlight and I am curious. Honestly, I have all the reasons to be curious since most of the Streamlight products that I have come across and tried seems very disappointing and also overhyped in the lumens factor so please enlighten us.

I don't own the PT 1L, I have a PT 1AA that I am extremely satisfied with. User Beastmaster reviewed the PT 1L in the thread in the following link, which is what I'm basing my answer on.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290595&highlight=pt1l

Maybe Streamlight was a little dodgy with their specs in the past, however, all current specs for their lights are based on recent tests in accordance with the new ANSI standards. The published lumens rating for the PT 1L are the true OTF lumens of the light.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though the beam isn't as refined, the Fenix PD10 and PD20 are brighter and smaller the the E1B. Don't get me wrong, if they sold them at the same price I'd buy the e1b for it's durability, but for size and brightness I'd go with a quark 123 r5 or the Fenix PD20. Multiple modes and close to 200 lumens.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I everyday carried my E1B for over 2 years until I picked up an HDS EDC. Outside of throw, I can't think of a single thing that my E1B can do that my HDS EDC can't.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the PT 1L, I have a PT 1AA that I am extremely satisfied with. User Beastmaster reviewed the PT 1L in the thread in the following link, which is what I'm basing my answer on.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/290595&highlight=pt1l

Maybe Streamlight was a little dodgy with their specs in the past, however, all current specs for their lights are based on recent tests in accordance with the new ANSI standards. The published lumens rating for the PT 1L are the true OTF lumens of the light.

Thanks for sharing. Guess I will have to check it out at my local dealer.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Howdy, I started this other thread over at EDCF: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/77914-Does-anything-out-E1B-the-E1B

In short, if by performance you mean throw, the answer seems to be no. I find it odd that no one has tried to mimic the TIR optic of the E1B and send more of their 170 lumens or 220 lumens or what have you down the street.

If you want more wall-of-light style output then plenty of other lights have done that. I'm personally interested in trying a Ra clicky myself, but not as a replacement for my E1B.

me said:
I know that lights aren't all about throw. My bag also has a Zebralight H30, perhaps the best compact flooder ever made (look for my next thread about out H30ing the H30). When I have time to sit down and tinker with something close up, the Zebralight comes out every time. But sometimes you want to light up something across the street, and that's what I wrote the OP for.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
In short, if by performance you mean throw, the answer seems to be no.

See my link to Beastmasters quickie review of the PT 1L that I posted above.

If, for some strange reason, the link doesn't work, here is his quote on the throw comparison of the E1B vs PT 1L:

Throw is far better in both RCR and primary usage than the E1B. I've actually sold off or traded all my E1B heads. I also get the benefit of strobe vs the E1B.

curby

Newly Enlightened
See my link to Beastmasters quickie review of the PT 1L that I posted above.

I am intrigued but not yet convinced. The PT1L looks like a decent light, especially for the price. I'm curious about the claims of better throw, and would love to see some lux readings or beamshots to support that. Does anyone know of any?

I'm also somewhat disturbed by the questionable low temperature performance. One of the reason I switched to lithium chemistries is because I live in the mountains, and it gets rather cold in the winter time. My lights need to work as well as possible whether it's 0F or 100F outside. =)

Anyway, thanks for the lead. I'll try to read up more on it!

TomH

Newly Enlightened
I'm also somewhat disturbed by the questionable low temperature performance. One of the reason I switched to lithium chemistries is because I live in the mountains, and it gets rather cold in the winter time. My lights need to work as well as possible whether it's 0F or 100F outside. =)

I don't see this being a problem. Most people that I know don't store their lights in the freezer, or leave them outside in Antarctic-like temps. Keeping the light in your pocket, or in a holster against your body is more than enough to keep the light warm enough to prevent this from happening.

curby

Newly Enlightened
Shrug. We all have different needs and desires, expectations and priorities. =)