New Keychain LED and EDC Flashlight

M

Musky_Hunter

I got directed here from Bladeforums.com, they said i would get all the info i need.

I have selected the ARC AAA as my keychain LED, should i get the LE or the regular. Is it worth the extra $10?

Also, i need to get a quality EDC flashlight, my Mini Mag aint cutting it, i work in a warehouse and i need a light to shine the entire length of it, around 100-150 yards.

I will fit it in my Cargos so size is not that important. Of the 2 battery surefires which one is recommended. There is the 6P, G2, G2Z, C2, Z2, and M2. Will the G2Z fit the KL4 LED Adaptor? How about the A19 extra battery adaptor?

Thanks for the info... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a non LE ARC AAA that I like very much!

I also have a Surefire G2. I don't know about 150 yards....

The Pelican M6 might be a better choice as it is more of a throw light, where as the SFs are Wall of light or flood type lights. Replacement lamps are way cheaper too. The Sfs are fixed focus, the M6 adjustable.

<edit>

I just took my M6 outside and tried some throw. At 150-200 feet away, the tops of the trees were lit up pretty good.

<end edit>

If you can get on the list a McModule is available for the M6 and is HIGHLY regarded!!! I haven't the scratch to even get on the list.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO the Arc AAA "P" or "LE" is not worth the price in brightness, it will give you a warmer color though and the good feeling that you bought the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When throw is concerned, I am not the real expert ...

bernhard

JOshooter

Enlightened
Welcome here! Bladeforums was right when they said you would get all the information you could ever want. As far as the Arc AAA goes, I have a standard and it performs excelent for a keychain light. For the throw torch, I have no idea so I personally would listen to the people above, for they have tested such torches. Try hanging out in the B/S/T forum for a good deal on one.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I do not understand.

He was already pretty well decided on ARC AAA, just which version.

Now we are talking totally different lights, and even mods.

And it gets moved to the ARC forum??????

Musky, perhaps you need to start a new thread on an EDC INCANDESCENT light in General Flashlight. It may not get enough notice here. Be absolutely sure NOT to mention ARC in that thread....

Drjones

Enlightened
Hello and welcome, Musky.

I post at BF also under the same name.

You will most definitely find the answers you need here on these boards!

Here are my opinions:

1. Arc AAA: I've done some research on this same topic and I've found that it is probably better to just get the standard. The only difference between standard and premium is that the premium is a little whiter, but not brighter. If you feel the whiteness is worth the extra money, go ahead. I personally would rather put the extra cash towards another toy! You can also use the search feature to research for yourself, of course.

2. The 2-cell SF's you listed are all the same brightness, as they both take the same P60 and P61 lamps. The only difference is in their physical construction; the G-series is a polymer, the P-series has a round metal body with no clip or rubber grip ring, the C-series (the best, IMO) has a flat-sided body, pocket clip and rubber grip ring which facilitates a number of different grips.

I'm not positive, as I don't yet have a Surefire, but I do not believe that the 2-cells will throw as far as you need. Maybe a 3-cell would, but I'm not sure. However, surefires larger than 3-cell become rather large and more cumbersome to carry. You can of course get comfortable belt holsters for them, but I don't think they are of the type that you could just stick in a pocket, even a cargo pocket, as it would move around uncomfortably.

Musky, most likely you will find it convenient to have at least a couple different lights for different purposes. For example, when you settle on a very bright, far-throwing light, it will probably be far too bright for medium to close-up work, so you will probably need a light to fill that niche.

You may want to look at the Surefire L4, which is a 5-watt LED light. It is good only out to about 15-25 yards, but is excellent for medium-range work as it puts out a pretty amazing volume of light, as it has a broad flood beam, which you will probably find quite useful.

Anyhow, I'm sorry I can't recommend something that would fill your needs for throw, as I'm still learning, but I'd say you should start looking at least at the 3-cell SF's and up from there. Perhaps a 3-cell SF with a turbo head...

Regardless, the fine people here can most assuredly make you a perfect recommendation!

Good luck!
Drjones

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I don't have the ARC AAA. Can't comment on that. I do own a Tigerlight FBOP. I highly recommend the Tigerlight FBOP model. It's 8 inches long and black HA III. Big and a little heavy but it's rechargeable and has the throw you require. Runs a little over an hour on a charge. Takes 10 hours to recharge. It isn't as pretty as or have the cache of Surefire, but gets the job done. The Surefire M6 will empty your wallet real quick if you use it much.
oldgrandpajack

1581zebra

Newly Enlightened
a 2 cell surefire will throw all you need with the p60 lamp.
i find it to have a much tighter beam than the 3 cell lights. i was lighting up a dock across a pond a couple of nights ago at least 200 yards away with a g2 and p60.
aaa standard is tops too.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I gotta go outside for a minute and check something....

Took G2, LX, and PM6 outside. First, side yard looking at back fence around 45 feet away. G2 lights it up, LX lights it up better, PM6 lights it up best!

Next out front. Tree top at the far end of the third house away across the street. Also lit up the house. G2 pretty good, LX better, PM6 RULES!

If you really want to throw light 150 yds. I think if you are looking for a 2x123 light, you GOTTA try the Pelican M6!!!

The G2 feels great! Mine has a kroll clickie. But it just won't SPOT something distant like the M6 can.

But the M6 doesn't JUST spot. It has a lot of spill, and can be defocused a bit for more flood.

For what YOU stated YOU want in a pocket light, you just have to get a PM6. You can always sell it on BST if it isn't what I say.

paulr

Flashaholic
If size really doesn't matter and you have to use the light every day, maybe you want something like an Ultrastinger.

stephenanderson2

Newly Enlightened
I hold in high regard the pelican line "most of it" for being great lights at a good price. I'd agree with the m6 for a throw light. Unless you want a tighter spot, then I'd go for the super sabre light. it's a lot bigger at 3c's though.... So unless you need the spot, get the m6. Pelican has a 1aaa xenon flashlight too. I have it at work, so i don't remembeer the name, but it is reallllly bright for it's size, and easily fits in front pocket, or on keychain. I don't have the money for any surefires, so I can't comment on them, but pelican is great and you can't go wrong with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif