What's equal to an Electrolumens EDC-MCE, but 2-3 modes?

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
I've done a lot of reading/researching, but am growing weary and maybe confused by all of the options, since I am a newb. Just when I think I've found something, either delving into the final specs or reviews reveals "problems" with the light, or "inconsistencies" in reviews, or battery issues, or size issues.

Anyway, I really like the beamshots and reviews of the Electrolumens EDC-MCE : http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=236180
-- really bright (apparently at 700-900 emitter lumens and ~500 OTF lumens)
-- more floody than throw
-- 1x18650 battery
-- $129 price
-- nice cosmetics doesn't hurt

BUT, it only has one mode....HIGH. I would like to be able to switch to a lower mode for power conservation in case of battery issues or if cars or people are around.

What lights compare, but have 2-3 modes of brightness? :confused:

P.S. I thought the SST-50 lights would be the answer, but I guess those are for more throw?

P.S.II...I want a complete flashlight, not drop-ins and customs....as I don't know what I'm doing LOL

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't find something equal among "normal" flashlights...

In fact, the EDC-MCE is a Custom, what makes it special is the direct drive, the reason it is so bright. The emitter is glued directly on copper to get rid of teh heat and it gets as much power from the 18650 cell as possible. Stock flashlights are normally regulated and anout no driver delivers more than 2,5A (rated 2,8A though), with a fresh cell I got close to 4A with my DMM, which surely isn't exact above 2A. All my 2,8A drivers show a draw of about 2,2A max on a fresh cell (4,2V).

Have a look at the Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra. That one has an SST50 and delivers 550 Lumen on high. Olight also has new models as M31 or SR50, but they all are bigger and take more cells, like the Trunite Catapult or Jetbeam RRT3 as well. I don't own any of these as I'm into small lights.

The MCE-EDC is sheer power from one cell, pedal to the metal, like Wayne said. The body is a tank and it gets pretty warm after 5 minutes to be a little heater after 15 minutes. The LED engine is built to take it though, hopefully your hands as well! I'm kidding, it won't burn you, but some folks shut if off after 15 to 20 minutes, because it became uncomfortable. It's not really built for the long runs, you need modes for that and I guess that's why you are looking for something else... :wave:

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Overready 3-mode drop-in with lux-rc triple is what you are looking for. With one 18650 you get something like 700 emitter lumens on high and then 20% and 2% of this as mode two and three. There is even a neutral version.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Overready 3-mode drop-in with lux-rc triple is what you are looking for. With one 18650 you get something like 700 emitter lumens on high and then 20% and 2% of this as mode two and three. There is even a neutral version.

Sounds sweet and perfect, but it's over my head....as in I have no idea how you obtain that or put it together :crackup:

So far, the Lumapower VX Ultra sounds pretty good after reading for the last hour....thanks, Henk :candle:

KentS

Newly Enlightened
Sounds sweet and perfect, but it's over my head....as in I have no idea how you obtain that or put it together :crackup:

So far, the Lumapower VX Ultra sounds pretty good after reading for the last hour....thanks, Henk :candle:

Any p60 host should do, such as solarforce, skyray, ultrafire etc. Right now only the single mode version is availabla at their site, but this changes frequently.
http://www.oveready.com/led-light-engines/cat_63.html

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't mention it, because first it is a custom item, second only the 1-mode are available by now, Dan posted yesterday that they won't offer any more "faulty" 3-mode with the flash-bug, they'll come back after the issue is resolved, nobody knows when that will be...

I run my one-modes on two IMR (16340/18490), that brings 1100 Lumen for teh cool white, 1000 for the neutral one. Nice and very bright, but not as floody as the MCE-EDC, it's more or less a huge hotspot.

If you mention that one, why not Mac's Tri-EDC, custom unavailable as well by now, but at least a whole light and 3-mode (with flash-bug)! :poke:

KentS

Newly Enlightened
:oops:I didn't check if the three mode version was still available when I posted first. I built a light from the three mode 1400 lumen unit with the pre-flash bug, can't say that it bothers me too much.

Tri-EDC is even more over-budget.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tri-EDC is even more over-budget.

... but it's THE pocket rocket for the moment. No other light offers 700 to 800 Lumen out of a 16340 (or 18350)!

It's definetely on my wish-list, next run perhaps, let's hope for some titanium...

7QMan, I don't know if the Q-Mini VX Ultra is still delivered with the 18650 body in the package. Mine came with two bodies and I only use it with the 18650, that way only it comes close to the EDC-MCE, offers some runtime and is safe for the battery (IMR required for 123 size).

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some options that are standard production lights that are close to the EDC-MCE. Oh and SST-50s aren't meant for throw necessarily. It just happens that most mfrs are trying (not always successfully) to make them throw lights. By design SST-50s have a floodier beam for a given reflector size.

1. Olight M21s - 500 LED lumens (350 OTF). Similar size to the EDC and runs in a single 18650 or 2x123s. Has lower modes. GOod flood and decent throw. About $110.

2. Eagletac M3C4 MCE model - 900 LED lumens. A bit more throw oriented than the M21. About $140.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Any p60 host should do, such as solarforce, skyray, ultrafire etc. Right now only the single mode version is availabla at their site, but this changes frequently.
http://www.oveready.com/led-light-engines/cat_63.html

Oh, ok...that's why when I checked out that site last night I only saw a single-mode unit and quit looking. I already felt clueless and that didn't help. Now I understand a little better
why I couldn't find it.

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened

7QMan, I don't know if the Q-Mini VX Ultra is still delivered with the 18650 body in the package. Mine came with two bodies and I only use it with the 18650, that way only it comes close to the EDC-MCE, offers some runtime and is safe for the battery (IMR required for 123 size).

When I looked at the Battery Junction site, they had the extra 18650 body included still, as they really only recommend using the Ultra with 18650. Definitely will consider this one.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Here's some options that are standard production lights that are close to the EDC-MCE. Oh and SST-50s aren't meant for throw necessarily. It just happens that most mfrs are trying (not always successfully) to make them throw lights. By design SST-50s have a floodier beam for a given reflector size.

1. Olight M21s - 500 LED lumens (350 OTF). Similar size to the EDC and runs in a single 18650 or 2x123s. Has lower modes. GOod flood and decent throw. About $110.

2. Eagletac M3C4 MCE model - 900 LED lumens. A bit more throw oriented than the M21. About $140.

I was looking at the Thrunite Catapult V2 with the SST-50, but it appears mostly throw-oriented, so not sure I want that one. But if other SST-50 units are built toward flood I would check those out.
Maybe there's an OP reflector available for the Catapult?

The Olight M21 is a possibility...just wondered if there were more lumens available in this class of light before I buy something.

Maybe I should also look at the Eagletac M3C4......and also Sunwayled M40A, Sunwayled M40C, Fenix TK40. I jsut read the Sunwayled M40C review and it has an OP reflector with an MC-E emitter, which I believe
should give more flood like the Electrolumens.

Thanks!

Last edited:

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
Actually i don't understand anymore why you mentioned the EDC-MCE. If a one cell "pockatable and very bright" torch is not your requierement, there is a lot of 2 cells torches that are as or more bright than the EDC-MCE.
In this range of brightness, a 2x li-ion torch is more appropriate to give you same or more brightness with "better" regulation.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M21 is by far the most pocketable one of any of these. The M3C4 is pretty bulky albeit much shorter than the other 2x18650 competition.
Another one to consider is the Olight M30. It has a decent throw/spill beam and can run on 2x18500s if you want it a bit shorter. It also comes with a diffuser that will make it even floodier and its brighter than the M21 but not as pocketable.
No other pocketable super bright lights I can think of unless you go custom or assemble it yourself from separately bought parts and both these options cost a lot more.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
Actually i don't understand anymore why you mentioned the EDC-MCE. If a one cell "pockatable and very bright" torch is not your requierement, there is a lot of 2 cells torches that are as or more bright than the EDC-MCE.
In this range of brightness, a 2x li-ion torch is more appropriate to give you same or more brightness with "better" regulation.

I mentioned the EDC-MCE for it's brightness and more flood aspect....BUT want more than ONE MODE of HIGH. I'm thinking I want more flood than throw, for times such as when I take a dog out to the park at night, or have to do stuff in the garage. Pocketability is not an issue....neither is 1-cell or 2-cell.

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
The M21 is by far the most pocketable one of any of these. The M3C4 is pretty bulky albeit much shorter than the other 2x18650 competition.
Another one to consider is the Olight M30. It has a decent throw/spill beam and can run on 2x18500s if you want it a bit shorter. It also comes with a diffuser that will make it even floodier and its brighter than the M21 but not as pocketable.
No other pocketable super bright lights I can think of unless you go custom or assemble it yourself from separately bought parts and both these options cost a lot more.

Pocket carry is not an issue. Just multiple modes of light and decent flood.

Just did some more research and video checks, the ones I think would meet what I'm looking for are most likely the ones with the SST-50 or MC-E emitter:
-- Lumapower VX Ultra
-- Sunwayman M40C
-- Olight M30 Triton
-- Eagletac M3C4

Gotta compare some prices, though....this is getting deeper than I thought :huh:

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also want to consider the MG P-Rocket from shiningbeam. It makes a claimed 800 LED lumens and only uses 1x18650. Most of the 2x18650 lighs are throwers so you'd need a diffuser to make them floodier but that reduced total output considerably.

qqqqqqqman

Newly Enlightened
You might also want to consider the MG P-Rocket from shiningbeam. It makes a claimed 800 LED lumens and only uses 1x18650. Most of the 2x18650 lighs are throwers so you'd need a diffuser to make them floodier but that reduced total output considerably.

I saw that one, but am wondering/worried about it's price of $63....how can they do a SST-50 and those lumens for that price?

What is the trade off in parts? :confused:

palimpsest

Newly Enlightened
I saw that one, but am wondering/worried about it's price of $63....how can they do a SST-50 and those lumens for that price?

What is the trade off in parts? :confused:
Linear regulation, a little bit less brightness than a previous MC-E flashlight that had a better regulation. A "step back" that probably needs a low price to be sold.

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG lights at shiningbeam.com are excellent, 3 modes and $80 to your door.

i still have an older mc-e MG and its one of my favorites.

floody, bright, 3 modes, reliable.

they have xp-g and sst in 1x18650 hosts as well (for $80)

nuttin fancy but GREAT lights imo

:whistle:

oops: was beaten to the MG recc.