Better Optics for L4

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to make L4 beam tighter and throw farther?
I wonder is Fraen Optics will make any difference, and will fit in this flashlight? How about custom concave or convex pyrex lenses, to focus the light?
Anyone have tried this before?

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know where I can get Inova X1 style optics that has the same diameter and same side thickness as stock L4 optics? Maybe I can replace stock lenses with it, so L4 will have more punch...

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the L4's beam pattern, I believe that the LED is purposely placed a little off-focus. If the reflector were smooth rather than orange-peel, there would be a significant hole in the hotspot. I believe, further, that SureFire did the defocusing on purpose -- to get a flood beam to contrast with their later tight beam 5 watt LED lights.

This is all speculation on my part, but I think that moving the LED either in or out a bit would tighten the focus, although not much. I would guess that either a convex or concave lens (I don't know which) would achieve part of the effect.

Paul

EDIT: Why not test it? I placed both types of lens agains the L4's lens. Both expanded the hotspot. Not what I expected. It appears that my speculation is off the mark. BTW, a strong convex lens produces a nice flood.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bernard,

I built a "KL4" using a turned-down 30mm from elektrolumens. Hopefully somebody will bring an L4 to the get to gether next weekend so I can see do a comparison.

Larry

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the 5 watt emitter is 4 times the size of the 1 watt emitter. You would need to go to a different size and geometry reflector to get that hotspot to focus tighter.

The stochastic reflector that Surefire uses, does wonders in smoothing out the X marks the Spot, that 5 watt luxeons are known for.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:

I built a "KL4" using a turned-down 30mm from elektrolumens. Hopefully somebody will bring an L4 to the get to gether next weekend so I can see do a comparison.
Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry-I'll be bringing a stock L4, L1 and TW4.
Rich
A-6

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
(Damn, another flashlight to remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry