Solarforce L2 with which drop in?

NeroZero

Newly Enlightened
Howdie!

I'm looking for a flashlight and have been thinking of building my own, out of a SolarForrce L2(or should i use another cheap body?Strike bezel is a must)

Now i want to know which drop in i should use. I want good throw, but also a OK flood. I know that the XR-E R2 LED is the best ''surface brightness'' LED at the market, but i don't know if it is powerful enough.

Actually, i want 300 OTF lumens er so..Is this possible?
The drop in should cost maximum 60 dollars, but more if there is some extremely great at the 70-80 $ range.

CR123 primaries is okay to use.

Thanks!
Nero

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I'm in your exact same predicament. I'm thinking of getting a SolarForce light because I like their lamp attachment. I was leaning towards the L2X , 'coz I prefer that look, with the either the XRE 3 mode or the XPG 5 mode drop in. I believe my Malkoff M61W will fit with a bit of aluminium foil or copper tape. If it does and it still works with the lantern attachment, I will have a 260lumen warm white lantern !!!! Woohoo !!!!:D

This will be my backup x 4 light and I only see myself using it purely for the lantern attachment. If I can find a dedicated 200+ warm white lantern then I go down that path instead....

Howdie!

I'm looking for a flashlight and have been thinking of building my own, out of a SolarForrce L2(or should i use another cheap body?Strike bezel is a must)

Now i want to know which drop in i should use. I want good throw, but also a OK flood. I know that the XR-E R2 LED is the best ''surface brightness'' LED at the market, but i don't know if it is powerful enough.

The drop in should cost maximum 60 dollars, but more if there is some extremely great at the 70-80 $ range.

Thanks!
Nero

Last edited:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I'm curious about this too,
I hope somebody here could help Nero! ;)

Love that there is so easy to buy a cheap L2 body for 16 $ and whatever drop in you want.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery junction sells the thrunite p60 300 lumen dropin for $33

300 Lumens (1A Drive Current)
3 Output Modes H>M>L - 100% > 40% > 1% = 300L > 120L > 3L
Memory mode: Remembers and activates to last level used.
2.7-9V input voltage (Direct drive under 3.5V)
Cree XP-G R5 LED
Outer spring is removable for some fitments
Alumium textured/OP reflector with bronze heatsink base
Bezel diameter: 26.5mm
Copper base diameter: 19mm
Height including support spring: 36.7mm
Height excluding support spring: 28.8mm

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure on the warmth of the color.
I'd go with the Solarforce L2M. So you can go single cr123, or add the extention that comes in the package to run two cr123 or an 18650.
I ordered one from solarforceUSA should show up next week.
:thumbsup:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I think i've seen that the Thrunite XP-G P60 drop in did 260 OTF lumens at bigC's sphere, and the Dereelight XP-G did 297 OTF..
Maybe the Dereelight could me a nice one.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Mine is Solarforce XP-G R5 5 Modes 3.6 - 8.4 V

or nailbender 's P60
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282416

I agree about the Solarforce R5. They are $29.99 to "buy it now." But he starts his auctions at $12.99 or so for just the drop in. I lucked out and got one for $12.99 last week (no one else bid).

I bought an L2P with the R5, and I was VERY impressed at the performance over all of the R2s I currently have from Solarforce. I just ordered a SECOND L2P with an R5, and then got that extra R5 drop in to replace one of my R2s...

I like the SOlarforce R5 better than the ThruNite drop in.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened

Thanks!
Nero

Be advised that there others have reported the SolarForce drop ins to be "very optimistic". See this thread. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are not great value, they most probably are, especially if you can get it for the price Shipwreck got his for. If you actually need or want close to 300 genuine OTF lumens, I suggest that you check out the Malkoff M61 Drop in. It produces 260 genuine otf lumens (some say 280) for at least 2 hours on 2 CR123 primaries. Price is $69. The warm version (M61W) produces slightlu less. What the figures don't show you is that the Malkoffs have a gorgeous beam with no artefacts and a very bright and even spill, and yet it still has a throw of 350feet. It also is very versatile in what batteries it will accept (3.4V to 9V).

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that my solarforce xp-g module only draws about 750 ma with a fresh 18650. So current draw is a little on the low side. So 275 lumens is a actually realistic estimate but this is emitter lumens, otf should be at least 180 assuming 1/3 loss, probably closer to 220 otf assuming only 20% loss. But it it should last a very long time on one battery especially with the ramping down of current as the battery gets lower

My Ultrafire x8 will draw 1.5 amps. This translates to 475 emitter lumens so it's realistic to think about 313 lumens or more otf, that's assuming a 1/3 drop in lumens which is a little on the pessimistic side for a thrower since the beam is pretty perpendicular to the glass. So 300 otf is possible but 1.5 amps through a p60 will need very good heatsinking. I always put Artic silver between the pill and reflector threads and tightly wrap the reflector with aluminum foil and jam it in my host so the foil holds it tight to make good contact. So you're going to need to either buy or mod your pill to have a 1.5 amp driver and make sure the heat sinking is very good.

stallion2

Enlightened
get the SolarforceXP-G and Thrunite's 1.5A XP-G. then swap the reflectors:huh:

you'll have two outstanding lamps and a reason to get a second host:devil:
i have Thrunite's 1A & 1.5A and they work great...the reflectors are a tad floody which is why i would recommend using the Solarforce reflector on the 1.5A. Solarforce's reflector is much more aggressive.
i use the Thrunite 1.5A XP-G more than any of my Malkoff's.

i have Dereelight's XP-G lamp and Solarforce's as well and they saw a lot of use until i wrecked them:fail:
the Malkoff and Deree XP-G's would be my 2nd & 3rd choice