Need Olight M20 Premium & M21 Warrior Opinions

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi All,

I am soliciting help from those of you who have experience with Olight's M20 Premium/R2 and M21 Warrior/SST-50 to compare with my current M20/R5 w/OP.

In my opinion, my M20/XPG-R5 w/OP reflector strikes the perfect balance of flood and throw, and now I'm considering a second, but I would like opinions of other similar Olights to compare, contrast and consider for purchase.

Please respond with your opinions if you have experience with the following models compared to the M20/R5 w/OP.

1) I need your guesstimate of how much more throw (in yards/meters or by percentage) that the M20 Premium/R2 w/OP reflector has over the M20/R5 w/OP.

2) A guesstimate of how much more throw (in yards/meters or by percentage) plus the quality of the beam that the M20 Premium/R2 w/smooth reflector has over the M20/R5 w/OP.

3) Last, is the overall output (flood & throw) of the M21 Warrior/SST-50 worth the extra $25 cost compared to the M20/R5 w/OP.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need Olight M20 & M30 Opinions

Hi All,

I am soliciting help from those of you who have experience with Olight's M20 Premium/R2 (OP & smooth reflector models) and M21 Warrior/SST-50 to compare with my current M20/R5 w OP.

In my opinion, my M20/XPG-R5 w/OP reflector strikes the perfect balance of flood and throw, and now I'm considering a second, but I would like opinions of other similar Olights to compare, contrast and consider for purchase.

Please respond with your opinions if you have experience with the following models compared to the M20/R5 w/OP.

1) I need your guesstimate of how much more throw (in yards/meters or by percentage) that the M20 Premium/R2 w/OP reflector has over the M20/R5 w/OP.

2) A guesstimate of how much more throw (in yards/meters or by percentage) plus the quality of the beam that the M20 Premium/R2 w/smooth reflector has over the M20/R5 w/OP.

3) Last, is the overall output (flood & throw) of the M21 Warrior/SST-50 worth the extra $25 cost compared to the M20/R5 w/OP.

Thanks in advance for your help!

John

Your thread title refers to an M30 but what are you asking about the M30 because apart from in the title you don't mention it again?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Re: Need Olight M20 & M30 Opinions

Your thread title refers to an M30 but what are you asking about the M30 because apart from in the title you don't mention it again?

Thanks for the catch!
buttrock.gif

John

TOQ

Newly Enlightened
I own both the M20 R2 Premium and the M20 R5 Special Ops models. I love my original M20 and actually prefer it to the newer version as it does have a longer throw which I like in a small light. As to actual throw distance versus the newer R5 I would say probably about 20 feet from what I can estimate. And to me that is weird as Olight advertises a throw of 250 meters for the R2 and 280 meters for the R5. Something doesn't quite add up there to me as my R2 definitely outthrows the R5. The beam on the R2 is also narrower which in turn puts a seemingly brighter "spot" on the target is aimed at, etc. The R5 version is only a tad brighter IMHO and to me does have a slightly whiter beam but not by much. Again, for my uses I prefer the original version overall. I wish now I had not purchased the R5 version and just saved my pennies and bought the new M31 Triton but I understand there are some overheating issues with that one so am waiting to see what pans out with it before making another mistake as I did with the R5...................

Hope this helps a bit...........Terry

jcalvert

Enlightened
I own both the M20 R2 Premium and the M20 R5 Special Ops models. I love my original M20 and actually prefer it to the newer version as it does have a longer throw which I like in a small light. As to actual throw distance versus the newer R5 I would say probably about 20 feet from what I can estimate. And to me that is weird as Olight advertises a throw of 250 meters for the R2 and 280 meters for the R5. Something doesn't quite add up there to me as my R2 definitely outthrows the R5. The beam on the R2 is also narrower which in turn puts a seemingly brighter "spot" on the target is aimed at, etc. The R5 version is only a tad brighter IMHO and to me does have a slightly whiter beam but not by much. Again, for my uses I prefer the original version overall. I wish now I had not purchased the R5 version and just saved my pennies and bought the new M31 Triton but I understand there are some overheating issues with that one so am waiting to see what pans out with it before making another mistake as I did with the R5...................

Hope this helps a bit...........Terry

Thanks Terry,

Actually mine is also the M20-S, but I didn't want to muddy the waters in my solicitation.

Can I assume that your M20/R2 has the OP reflector? The reason I ask is that I might just get another M20-S, but also get the optional smooth reflector for extra throw which should come close to the extra throw of the R2/OP version.

From the beamshot reviews of the M21 though, it just doesn't look like the overall output (flood & throw) justifies the extra cost and losing the side switch. That's why I'm requesting real-world experience, like yours, to help decide. So thanks for responding!

Also, look for a PM.

John

Latest posts