SureFire 9AN Commander LED upgrade?

PaveHammer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

My father has a new SureFire 9AN Commander, and although it's a versatile police light (which is what he bought it for), after learning of the multitude of dropins available for his C3, he'd like to have the same capability for the 9AN.

We're already aware of the Turbohead option, but doesn't anyone make a drop in LED tower, dual emitter or otherwise, to up the output of this fine duty light?

What are our options? Does Milky or any other custom manufacturer offer services for these lights?

Thanks!

Brad

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
I recently purchased an 8ax Commander, which like your dad's is discontinued. Elsewhere in the forum are a number of threads regarding led upgrades, but I wish to add one additional possibility:
I spoke with tech support at Surefire today and was informed that by the end of this month, new rechargeables will be introduced, and they will offer a trade-in/exchange program.
Yours truly,
Crazyeddie

My lights: Surefire E2E, E1E, 6P, G2, G3, KL1, KL3 heads, E2D,
Condor 111, LedLenser T7,P7, G10, ok, so I'm a little addicted to lights...

Donnief

Newly Enlightened
All,

Contacted Surefire customer support today. They confirmed they are working on some sort of rebate, not trade-in, for owners of some discontinued lights. The 9AN is one in the offer.
On a side note, I asked about the discontinued batteries that went along with the 9AN and the customer support person said they would "repair" discontinued batteries that no longer held a charge. I had to apply for a RMA number first and will send them in for "repair". I'll post again when/if I get them back...stay tuned.
I should have asked if the warranty is still valid but didn't think of it until after I hung up. Anybody know? Also, what could possibly malfunction on it to be covered? Must be very limited.

Donnie

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st of all ...
YOU DO NOT "TRADE" ANY OLD INCAN SF LIGHTS!!!

keep it, maybe not use it anymore, but why get rid of it?

as to the batteries:
that size is 2/3 C, very popular with the R/C crew.
Get a 7.2 V race pack - atm 5.000 mA instead of the 2.000 (?) of the original.
That consists of 6 cells, usually 2 rows of 3 each of the cells.
Cut them in half and You already have a battery stick for the 9N;
for an 8X one has to add some metal strip for the negative contact to the upper end, also not really difficult to make.

PS: when lucky (or looking good) the race pack "sticks" are done with cells that are already fixed together, else one has to glue them together + use a shrinkwarp layer

Dcjackson3

Newly Enlightened
I contacted surefire this week and no trade in option at this time. He did advise this could change in the future once they are no longer able to service or supply parts. I was able to get a free replacement bulb for my 9AN. Anyone aware of some custom converision LED options for this model?

Thanks

Donnief

Newly Enlightened
So it's Dec 31, 2014 and I pull out my 9AN Commander. Still works. Beam lasted 30 min but got so hot I decided to shut it off. I'll restart my search for a LED conversion. Any new news, anybody?