Quark mini123 or Quark 123R5 ???

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
Help me decide. I like the size of the mini, but I like the throw of the Quark 123R5. I know I know, get both. Cant. But I could use one for EDC. Thanks for your opinions.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help me decide. I like the size of the mini, but I like the throw of the Quark 123R5. I know I know, get both. Cant. But I could use one for EDC. Thanks for your opinions.

Somewhere around here is a picture of their sizes.

3.2 or 2.3 inches. 0.9 inches (2.28 cm) is a fair bit of difference at that size though. I'm a huge fan of the Tactical interface and the clicky in the full-size Quarks, and the more efficient driver.

HeyGuysWatchThis

Newly Enlightened
Actually, I've been considering the same question lately, or actually whether to replace my Mini with the 123 regular. I have decided I don't like the twisty interface (personal preference, I just don't seem to have the dexterity to work the thing one handed).

Anyway, I think my next EDC will be the Zebralight SC30. 2.6 inches vs the Mini at 2.3 is pretty good, and the side switch looks pretty cool. Also, I like the looks of the interface. You also get the neutral white option, if you're interested. You can only get the neutral Quark with the clip, which since it's not removable and not a deep carry clip is of no interest for me.

Just a thought, for what it's worth!

ACRbling

Newly Enlightened
If you can only get one, definately get the quark 123 tactical r5 clipless.

Size will be slightly bigger than the mini but the features more than make up for it. Plus you can purchase different bodies for it as well (AA,aa2,18650). Such a versatile light.

Pluses: much better circuitry and ui, forward clickie, bigger reflector, lego-ability, regulated on cr123 and rcr123

miyagi

Newly Enlightened
My 1st post to chime in. Have been learning a lot recently about LED's and particularly liked the offering from 4Sevens - Quark models. The quality and pricing fit my budget generously.

I've decided to get QuarkAA Tactical and Quark123 Turbo.

QuarkAA Tactical would be my daily flashlight to carry and love the availability of the AA batteries everywhere. This would be used for navigating inside the house, etc.

I also decided to get Quark123 Turbo for the throw and something for night adventure. I was debating to get Quark123 Tactical with the 1 cell C123 battery, but it really wasn't much of a difference in pricing as well as the size with Quark123 Turbo. Just my 2 cents. :)

ThumperACC

Newly Enlightened
Consider the UI issues as well...

- Do you like a twist interface or a click/twist?
- Do you want 3 modes or 2 (mini has 3 brightness settings, 123 tactical has 2)?

ThumperACC

njet212

Enlightened
@ford:

Do you own flashlight which have similar UI with Q-Mini 123 and Q123? sometimes people would prefer twisty UI sometime people would prefer clicky UI. If you already own similar lights which UI do you like most?

Other thought Q-Mini123 VS Q123 R5:

• Mini only have 3 mode ( and 2 hidden mode ), Q123 have more than 5 modes.
  • I own Q-Mini123 Titanium, it was my key chain light. After few weeks EDCing it, i feel it too big and bulky ( especially if you have more than 3 keys on your key chain ). Now i replace Qmini with Preon Revo which is perfect size and weight for my key chain IMHO also i carry Nitecore Extreme in my pocket if i going to need brighter light.

jax

Newly Enlightened
well from previous experiance with quarks,the minis are more floody,than the regular quarks and when you use a 3.7 volt lithium cell in the minis they are brighter than regular size quarks.
i would suggest to you a quark regular aa,and use a 14500 cell in it,then you could lego it and buy a cr123 body,this way you have a light that can use aa alkaline,primary lithiums,duraloops,14500's,cr123's,and rcr123's
expect over 200 lumens on the 3.7 cells
the minis dont give you a clip,they are a twisty,they are thinner walled,they dont lego,and they dont have the lower low's of a Q regular...0.2 lumens moonlight compared to minis low of 4 lumen..
but if you like minis and cr123 format,maybe a quark miniX is the way to go,unless midrange throw is critical to your edc usage...

pinetree89

Enlightened
I have a Q123 clipless, and a Mini AA2.

As a personal preference I don't necessarily like the twisty UI for EDC. Outdoors/Hiking, I love the twisty UI for it's smaller size, lighter weight, and feel that it's less to go wrong.

However for EDC, clicky is the way to go IMO. Usually in an EDC situation I'm already doing something that suddenly requires light right now. Also having to free up two hands to set the mode with a multi mode twisty like the Q-Minis usually detracts from what I'm already doing. I know, I know you can still do the twisty with one hand but it requires more dexterity. Also, due to my uncoordinated self, a single hand twisty adjustment usually gives me switch bounce making it difficult to get that exact mode I want.

Anyway, love my Q-123 for EDC. Great light. As soon as the XP-G S2's dry up, I think I may be in for another in R5.

Oh, and don't forget the moon mode the Q-123 has that the Q-Mini doesn't. At first I thought I'd never use it, but I end up using it all the time. It's the perfect walk around the house while everyone is sleeping/check on the kids brightness. The extra $20 of the Q-123 over the Mini is well worth it IMO.
:thumbsup:

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
get the quark regular. Yes the mini is about as bright, and smaller, but the clicky and the moonlight mode on the regular is far superior.

-Freq

onthelake

Newly Enlightened
First post here... A lot of great info on this site has led me to get both types of quarks. I just ordered the Mini 123 Titanium S3 Edition and the Turbo 123*2 S3 Satin Titanium Edition. I will get them today and fill you in on my personal thoughts.

Latest posts