Lux, Lumens and Candlepower

charliek

Enlightened
It seems like every flashlight is measured against a different standard- is there any mathematical formula that can be used to convert from one to another?

E

EchoSierraTwo

They don't seem to receptive to newbies there, I stick around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

charliek

Enlightened
Well, it looks like Lumens, Lux or Candlepower will not mark the quality of a light.... Candlepower and Lux are measurements of diffireent properties of light and cannot be converted one to another.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie-

Essentially your conclusion is correct, they cannot be easily converted.

Marketing and Sales has a lot to do with how companies "rate" their products. Often they use the measure that can place the product in the most favorable light (no pun intended).

For instance people often brag my flashlight has more candlepower than that one. That may be so but, it may be a lousy flashlight.

For example, how does a tight million candlepower beam, with a throw of 500 yards, uses small available batteries and fits in your pocket sound? Great huh? They make them for under $10, they are called laser pointers! Even if the beam color is white they would still be worthless as a flashlight.

For consumers it makes it very difficult to compare two lights which is why members here are asking for beamshots.
The best way of course it to use the same flashlights you are comparing in the same setting or environment.

GregR

charliek

Enlightened
That's why I love to take a new flashlight with me on a camping trip- Here in the city (relatively, anyway) it doesn't get really dark- everywhere you look- there is some sort of a light source from streetlights, to stores open until the wee hours... Out in the woods, there is ample testing grounds. Beamshots help, specs help, personal reviews help.... but the real proof is to have the light in your hands when that light is the only thing between you and complete pitch darkness.

BUT- once you're there with that light- you've already bought it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif