Olight M31 / SR50 > Jetbeam RR3-T

PayBack

Enlightened
Hi,

Looking at Selfbuilts (appreciate the great work dude :)) comparison and a stores youtube reviews, the Olight lights not only throw further but put out noticably more light overall.

I was wondering why this was, considering they use the same power source (in the case of the 6 x 123 option) and LED. Is this a matter of more efficient driver or something? Can it make that big a difference?

Seems even more strange as Jetbeam claim 1200 lumens and Olight claim 800. I know these should be taken with a grain of salt but this seems an extreme example.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam's numbers are LED lumens. Olight states their numbers are OTF lumens. If you calculate the OTF lumens for the RRT-3, they're virtually identical. As for output, differences can come down to variations in the specific LEDs they used (VF, luminosity, etc.) as well as driver differences and such. Also, keep in mind that tint makes a big difference (especially in pictures) on how bright we perceive light to be. But there will always be similar performing lights at varying price levels.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Jetbeam's numbers are LED lumens. Olight states their numbers are OTF lumens. If you calculate the OTF lumens for the RRT-3, they're virtually identical. As for output, differences can come down to variations in the specific LEDs they used (VF, luminosity, etc.) as well as driver differences and such. Also, keep in mind that tint makes a big difference (especially in pictures) on how bright we perceive light to be. But there will always be similar performing lights at varying price levels.

Agree.

I have read over various reviews including those excellent ones by HKJ and Selfbuilt and note that while the M31 appears to out-throw the competition such as the RRT-3, in reality all of them are fairly similar.* Hence, in my effort to decide on a SST-50 light with the 2x18650 form factor, I have focused on these choices:
1. Olight M31
1. tie Thrunite Catapult V2
3. Jetbeam MS2
4. Jetbeam RRT-3

At this time, I am considering the Olight M31 and Thrunite Catapult V2 choices as the frontrunners. I do like the Jetbeams, but, in the case of the RRT-3, the $325 price is too high for me.

As I write this, lack of funds prohibits me from making my final decision and ordering. I could get the M31 at a discounted price of around $180 ($200 less 10% cpf discount; not allowing for shipping); could get the Catapult at a discounted price of around $144 ($160 less 10% cpf discount; not allowing for shipping.) As one can readily see, the Catapult is some $36 less than the M31, enough to allow me to buy something else like the Preon 2.

After I decide and make my purchase, will post my thoughts.

Regards.

* HKJ created excellent graphs in one of his reviews, one of which that compares the 4 listed lights where the 1m lux values (taken at 5m, converted to 1m) showed, in order of lux value: Olight M31 > Thrunite/RRT-3 > MS2.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind the M2S has a 10 minute timer that automatically turns output down to medium to prevent overheating of the LED. The M31 has a warning from Olight for the same thing but its not forced by the light. Olight issued the same warning for the M30 even though the M30 doesn't have heat problems so the M31 may or may not either.
Personally I don't like the need to shut off or run lower output on a spot or SAR light as in those situations I wouldn't want to lose sight of my target even for a moment.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Keep in mind the M2S has a 10 minute timer that automatically turns output down to medium to prevent overheating of the LED. The M31 has a warning from Olight for the same thing but its not forced by the light. Olight issued the same warning for the M30 even though the M30 doesn't have heat problems so the M31 may or may not either.
Personally I don't like the need to shut off or run lower output on a spot or SAR light as in those situations I wouldn't want to lose sight of my target even for a moment.

Hello jsr. Thanks for sharing the information about the MS2. I was not aware of that. I am aware of the M31 warnings about restricting the runtime on high. For my uses that would be ok. Apparently the M31 on high is driven much harder than the Catapult. Right now, most of my use of the M31 light, should I decide to get it, would be at the advertised 320 otf and 60 otf lumen levels;hence, I would have the high beam here and there when I need it.

I can already see that I will need to take a second job to get all the other lights I want --- Malkoff M61, Jetbeam RRT-0, and countless others.

Regards.

PayBack

Enlightened
zehnmm I'm likely to get an M31 myself. I prefer the form factor of the SR50 and RR3-T myself, but the SR50 can't take 18650's and the RR3-T has much reduced output compared to the M31 looking at the output graphs.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Hello PayBack.

I agree with your points, except in my case I prefer the 2x18650-linear form factor. Not that I would not like an SF-M6-like/SR50/RRT-3 type light, but I am used to my two approx. 9" long incan lights.

Good luck as you proceed on your pilgrimmage and post what your thoughts are after you decide.

Blessings,

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have owned the Olight M30 for over a year now and have never had any heat problems with it being on high.

My dealer said that Olight is now just covering it's backside by warning about heat on the Olight M30.

I have never seen this waring on the M30 anywhere.

Can you tell me where you have seen an example of the M30 warning.

The Olightworld.com website has the M31 heat warning but there is still nothing there on the M30.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read it somewhere on the web...sorry, can't recall. Might be on CPF somewhere. But as I mentioned, there weren't any overheating issues with the M30, so like you said, Olight's just doing a CYA. But not sure if the M31 has heat issues as so far I haven't found an owner of one that's willing to test it out.