What's your favorite stock 1x CR123 light and why?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi All,

Previous title: Current list of most/all available stock 1xCR123 lights?
New title: What's your favorite stock 1x CR123 light and why?

Selfbuilt's "1x CR123 Round-up" is way out of date and so I want to compile a more current and comprehensive list of all or at least most of the "stock-only" 1x CR123 lights out there on the market with stats, so that I could perform a compare & contrast analysis to make some informed decisions. Thanks!

John

Last edited:

wantsusa

Newly Enlightened
Re: Current list of most/all available 1xCR123 lights?

no no...I think you should do a roundup of all the lights ever discussed on CPF, and group them into battery types, then all of us could use it!

heh hope someone has some real info, though with so many different flashlights/lego/P60/drop-ins/custom....it would be a huge task unless someone just would read each thread and find the basic info to post for each.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Re: Current list of most/all available 1xCR123 lights?

no no...I think you should do a roundup of all the lights ever discussed on CPF, and group them into battery types, then all of us could use it!

heh hope someone has some real info, though with so many different flashlights/lego/P60/drop-ins/custom....it would be a huge task unless someone just would read each thread and find the basic info to post for each.

Well, in spite of your facetiousness (hehe), you make a valid point. My query is too broad. Let's say, for my needs anyway, we keep the list I'm looking for or I'm willing to compile to stock lights only. No mods, no customs, no partial customs, no drop-ins or legos, just stock. Cool, that'll work...I hope? Time to edit.

John

joe1512

Enlightened
Re: Current list of most/all available stock 1xCR123 lights?

I think the only real difference is that many companies have retrofitted their existing CR123 lights with XP-G emitters for more efficiency.
Otherwise I havent noticed much difference.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Re: Current list of most/all available stock 1xCR123 lights?

I think the only real difference is that many companies have retrofitted their existing CR123 lights with XP-G emitters for more efficiency.
Otherwise I havent noticed much difference.

Thanks Joe,

I absolutely agree based on my search so far. I just figured it would be easier for me to pare down a list of candidates for my needs if I solicited suggestions from the forum to add to my search because others are usually so willing to throw in their favorites. But either my title needs to change or this topic just isn't very interesting. All I know is that it's going nowhere fast. At least I have a list started to work from. Thanks again, Joe!

As of today, 10/21/2010, my title and text has been changed.

John

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
That's an easy one to answer.

HDS Clicky, preferrably in titanium or Cerakoted. :D:popcorn:

Thanks Belstaff,

Maybe now I'm on the right track. Would you mind telling me why it's your favorite. Thanks!

Since the preferences, uses and costs will undoubtedly vary, after I get a full list, I'll categorize the list based on the feedback.

John

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Thanks Belstaff,

Maybe now I'm on the right track. Would you mind telling me why it's your favorite. Thanks!

Since the preferences, uses and costs will undoubtedly vary, after I get a full list, I'll categorize the list based on the feedback.

John

'coz it's the most versatile light and suits my lighting needs 95% of the time. It's bombproof, has 4 output levels that can be programmed in incremental steps from 0.07 lumens to 170 genuine OTF lumens, it's over-engineered, it has flat-as-a-table-top regulation, automatic battery detection, physically protects the battery with spring cushioning at both ends, protects rechargeables from over-discharge, very reliable electronic forward clicky switch, 3mm AR coated UCL sandwiched between O-rings for shockproofing, fully potted electronics, great no-BS customer service, extra large SS bezel for better impact protection, verrrry looong runtimes, gives you a gradual warning when battery needs changing, HA III coated, has programmable momentary-on, a software button-lock, programmable memory or forced function, programmable automatic off function, has strobe/SOS/locator beacon but is hidden if not required, a very intuitive UI, it's ruggedly handsome, not ostentatious, does not over-heat, the LED is not overdriven so will last a lifetime, is available with a longer battery tube for longer runtimes, has really low lows, oozes quality, Made in US, each light is individually calibrated.........

Basically, the Clicky is a product of a very long evolution line. All the way back to the Arc 4, then the HDS EDC Basic/Ultimate series, then Novatac, then the HDS/Ra Twisty, and finally the Clicky in its current iteration. It's the flashlight equivalent of the Porsche 911.

Do I need to go on ?

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
'coz it's the most versatile light and suits my lighting needs 95% of the time. It's bombproof, has 4 output levels that can be programmed in incremental steps from 0.07 lumens to 170 genuine OTF lumens, it's over-engineered, it has flat-as-a-table-top regulation, automatic battery detection, physically protects the battery with spring cushioning at both ends, protects rechargeables from over-discharge, very reliable switch, 3mm AR coated UCL sandwiched between O-rings for shockproofing, fully potted electronics, great no-BS customer service, large SS bezel, verrrry looong runtimes, gives you a gradual warning when battery needs changing, has programmable momentary-on, a software button-lock, programmable memory or forced function, programmable automatic off function, has strobe/SOS/locator beacon but is hidden if not required, a very intuitive UI, it's ruggedly handsome, not ostentatious, is available with a longer battery tube for longer runtimes, has really low lows, oozes quality, Made in US, each light is individually calibrated.........

Do I need to go on ?

No B, that should do it! :thumbsup:

Wow, now that's a well-built, well-thoughtout product. I do have some technical jargon questions though, so I'll PM those to you shortly. Thanks for an awesome description.

Your very inclusive description can be the model for others to describe their favorite 1x CR123 and why. Thanks!

John

yowzer

Enlightened
Hmm. I only have two 1xCR123 lights and like 'em both for different reasons.

Surefire E1B:
Great throw for a light of its size and output (Or nice and floody with a F04 diffuser).
SF reliability and ruggedness and warranty.

Jetbeam RRT-0, XP-G R5 edition:
Great UI with a ring for selecting output level, and nice range of available outputs (Though it could stand to have a low mode that's < 1 lumen).
Battery flexibility (CR123, AA, 16340, 14500 li-ions...)
Solid construction.
Good general-purpose beam shape balancing throw and flood (And the F04 fits it too.)

For general purpose use, I'd have to give the edge to the RRT-0 because of the superior UI.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
I overlooked one major feature of the Clicky: its beautiful beam. Good blend of throw and very useable spill with no artefacts. Also available in a high CRI version.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Since no one has mentioned it, I will. I have, and totally love, 4 Sevens' Quark MiNi 123. It's about the smallest 123 light out there, takes RCR123 easily, is very well knurled, well constructed, has 3 levels with a low of 3 lumens and a high of 189 OTF lumens (XPG-R5 led), which is hard to beat. It has good throw as well as a huge hotspot and it tailstands. It truly is a useful small pocket rocket. It also has a hidden strobe mode, which can't be accessed unless you really want it.

Oh yes: type III anodizing, 1.2 hrs on high and 150 hrs on low. Medium of 40 lumens is perfect for everyday use. It's water resistant and is only $35.88 with the Candlepower Forum code CPF8 (8% off the regular price of $39).

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelight C2H
Can take 123, R123, AA, NiMH, or 14500 so very versatile for power source
Good size - not too short or too long
Upgradeable pill and LED to save me future costs
Costs about the same as competition while offering more versatility in battery options
Simple 3-mode UI with no unnecessary strobes and SOS that aren't really needed in an EDC
Well built, heatsunk, and attractive
Forward clicky with momentary that can tailstand
Wire clip has perfect tension, is low profile, and unobtrusive
Nice beam and good throw
Overall the best value for me.

Last edited:

chef4850

Enlightened
Surefire L1 and here is why I feel this way.

1). UI is supurb! Simple to use and monentary push.

2). Build is typical Surefire - GREAT! Ano is very nicely done. I now some are "very colorful" but doesn't acffect the purpose of the light.

3). TIR optic - Great throw. Although lumens are not as "bright" as some others. More than enough light for just about any task. Just add the F04 and you have what everyone has asked for in a light. "Flood to throw" if you can call it that. However best of both worlds in one light!

4). Reliability - I like all my lights and all from different manufactures. But there is something that keeps me carring an L1 (or any Surefire for that reason). I have the confidence that the SF lights are going to be there when I need them. I like all my lights but the "trust" is just not there (I have to say that I have not had a light fail on me when I needed it by any brand). So I will carry a SF and some other brands but the SF has to be part of it.

5). CS - I have only used SF's CS twice but was amazed at the lengths that they went to for me. Didn't like the fit of the tailcap on an LX2. Sent a new one no questions asked.

6). Feel in hand - I know this is a very subjective thing (as are most of my points) but I just like the way the L1 fits my hand. Not too big and not too small. Just an overall great light IMHO.

Thanks Chef

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Peak LED Solutions Stainless Steel Logan.

On my Keychain- single mode-always works-great optic for decent throw--excellent spill-uses RCR or Primary CR123's-made in USA-less than 100 bones-fully potted-removable negative contact for cleaning-lifetime guarantee.:D

cons-far too bright in the #7 power level for up close work-foam "anti rattle" donut on brass screw adjustable neagative contact would sometimes interfere with contact so I removed it because i can live with a little tiny bit of rattle.

Last edited:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McGizmo Lunasol 20 hands down. It has all you'll ever need flood, spot, and size. It's a beautiful light as well, although I do prefer the look of the Lunasol 27 a little more.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya Jcalvert :D

My favorite non drop-in cr123 light is
Fenix PD10 Titan. 180 lumens, 3 modes
Fits in a pocket great for a non work EDC

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stock Arc6 with a K2 TFFC. Sadly mine had a Seoul so I modded it:devil: Has a neutral white xp-g and is a lot brighter now.

Really like my Quark Ti tactical as well.

I don't have a stock HDS, but if I did it would probably be up at the top.

Surefire L1 is also a great light.

Matt7337

Enlightened
My HDS Ti Clicky 170 Tac would normally be my first choice (and really it should be) but I have to say my Nitecore Extreme beats it by a hair purely because I have more EDC and emergency use experience with the Nitecore. What I could say is that Belstaff's description of the Clicky has everything I would have said in it, so I am going to do the description on my Nitecore instead.

Some people call the HDS a little on the large size for a 1x123 light - when compared to my NEX I tend to agree. I love the compact size and feather weight of the Nitecore. It's survived countless hours of heavy duty use and has never let me down once. It has a great UI - simple and effective. Sometimes I like a more programmable UI but infinite brightness and one strobe mode is more than enough for everyday use as far as I'm concerned. The build quality cannot be faulted, every Nitecore flashlight I own scores a home run on this and the NEX was the first one of those. The beam pattern is another area where they scored a homer. It has a tight hotspot surrounded by a milky smooth flood that acts as a great utility beam. It's the perfect compromise between flood and throw for my purposes. I like the overall design of the light. It's one of the best looking flashlights I own and whilst this may not be important to everyone, it's still nice to be able to say that that light you carry most often is the one that catches the most attention when you use it in public. Nitecore's knurling is the best I've ever seen... again, it just exudes quality machining. The same can be said about the anodizing. It has great regulation, runtimes and heatsinking and last but definately not least - one of the best placed and designed pocket clips I've ever seen on a stock light.

All that straight from the factory. Did I say home run? They knocked it out of the park on this one. Of course, that was a while ago and things have progressed quite a bit since then. There are lights that offer all this and more these days and the HDS Clicky is a great example of that. The only two things I can say I don't like about the NEX are the fact that it doesn't tail stand and the lowest brightness not being low enough. I think the Infilux IFE1 might solve both these issues but I haven't seen one in person yet so I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Since I still consider myself a newbie to the world of flashlights and because I had focused all my efforts on finding the right "general purpose/large (4"-7") EDC" light and also a "dedicated thrower" in accordance to my personal needs and preferences, I definately needed help with narrowing my options in choosing a few small (2"-4") EDC lights.

There are so many already to look up, review, compare and contrast, it should be both fun and a chore to put together a matrix of some sort.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!

All the best to everyone,
John