Flashlightlens clickie process kills McModule???

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened
OK, the McModule was my favorite flashlight but I had to go buy the Clickie switch. After that didn't work, I followed all the threads, scraped off the anodization, etc. Then Chris sent me a recommendation to test by holding the switch on the bare end of the light, and eventually another switch that didn't work. Then I tried the suggested O-ring fix...

Too much testing, pushing, pulling. The McModule seems to have died. The original PM 6 bulb works when used without the clickie.

I am not a modder but I have have installed drop-in mods in about 25 flashlights with no problems. But this was too much.

Charlie, can you fix an abused McModule? It really was my favorite. Chris, I am sending back all the clickie switches. This was a very expensive experiment so far... Sorry to sound so glum, I know everyone's intentions were good.)
- Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bummer Milwaukeeblues!

One sure way of instant death of a McModule with Down Boy is to accidentally short one of the LED leads to ground. However it sounds like you have one of Charlie's builds which uses a BadBoy and typical cause of death to them is powering up the circuit without the LED connected. Do the leads soldered on the LED still look in tact? Is the ground screw still holding down the common wire?

If Charlie has too much on his plate right now, you can send the light to me and I will get it operational for you. I don't mean to butt in here; only to offer my assistance if needed.

- Don

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Don, your offer is very much appreciated. I'll see how Charlie responds and act accordingly.

Don't see any broken wires (although my eyes are not that good for small stuff) but looking at the module from the back it seems off center in the casing, perhaps from too much experimenting with different levels of pressure on the batteries (while adjusting tailcap switch.)

How's that for one sentence? ;-) -Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Peter,

I may not be able to keep on top of this thread but if I can be of any assistance, please send me an e-mail. It sounds like possibly the anode lead has broken off from the anode contact??!? You might see if the nickel plated rivet in the back side of the module will pull out freely.

Standing by...........

- Don

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this and thought about some and wonder if the rivet anode contact has been crushed or depressed in causing the battery to not make contact. Also, it is possible that some if not most of your battery anode contacts have also been crushed or depressed.

I wonder if the battery is making contact anymore?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
MB,

No e-mails from ya yet...but then I am at work. No problem sending it back to me OR Don, we be on the same team...if loose wire was accidentally pulled out during the push/pull clickie process, no problem-o, send us some funds for the return shipping costs is all.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think Wayne has hit on the most likely cause of no go! You can easily confirm by holding a battery up to the module and make sure that the anode contact touches the battery before the battery shoulder comes in contact with the rim of the brown plastic isolater. I think you may have gone from reverse polarity protection to all polarity protection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
all polarity protection! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Haw! A new super safe run mode, extend battery life indefinitely!

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Flashlightlens clickie process kills McModule?

I just have to say you guys never cease to amaze me with your gestures of generosity.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mike

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup - now they are even sharing the secret super-safe modes, including infinit battery life extension capabilities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

milwaukeeblues

Newly Enlightened

The battery seems to be making contact. I'm gonna send the module to Charlie to look at (thanks Charlie.)-Peter